Why become a member? ×

Warwicks, a few Q's

bubinga5

My tip would be to aim for a pre '00 warwick. I have a '93 'Vette and it's the best Warwick I've ever heard (by a long way!). Mine's a bolt-on with a wenge neck and bubinga body. I've played a lot of W's over the years (Stremer Stage I's were my dream basses when I started playing).

I haven't played a $$, but have yet to play a post '00 Warwick that compares to mine. I had my Shuker 6 based on my 'Vette as recent W's just aren't my thing.

Interestingly today Jim Fleeting was talking attack vs sustain and how basses tend to have more one or the other but not significantly both.

B/o for attack, NT for sustain. Slapping needs attack evidently ;) I say evidently, I've got the DVD and keep meaning to try it out more than the odd fumble.

Peter

If your looking for growl then check the Vampire, beautifiul low end growl with great Mid tonality to give clarity! in regards to the Stremer the weight will depaned greatly on what wood the body is but as stated previously in this thread they are not the heaviest and not the lightest. The Thumb is a heavy bass whilst the Corvette is a light nimble bass. I have seen and played alot of Stremer's and they are great basses, the whole series of the Stages are great and cater for alot of bass players needs!

Hope you find what your looking bud!

Have to agree with Warwickhunt's BO/NT Warwick slap comments. I'm in the position of being able to compare the two types of Thumb bass, and the BO is far brighter whilst the NT makes a very thick sound. The slap sound on the BO works for me, though it could still be considered too dark for those who are after the Miller tone.

By the way, Bubinga, did you consider getting hold of an old Streamer Pro-M? They're quite cheap secondhand, have a bolt-on neck and a Music Man influenced pickup configuration that will probably be really good for slap.

Edited by rjb

• 1 month later...

At least my Streamer (1987 special double P) is very elegant and light Weight. However, while it has an awesome growl, the sustain and clarity of the tone comes out more than the attack, so if slap is the main thing, I would go for a Musicman Sterling (as they definitively are lighter than the classic Stingray). Be careful if buying a Musicman though; they vary wildly in tone and playability (and weight). I\ve spent days at Music stores in New York and Toronto testing these mothers before buying the one good instrument. The Warwick is a beautyful instrument, but can be a bit demanding, as everything You play comes out, wether You would want it to or not. I find that in my lazy periodes, I use my musicman, as it gives me that rocknroll response everytime, but when I pick up the Streamer, It is what I imagine a Stradivarius would feel like. Maybe I am very picky, but I have tried loads of Warwicks after I bought mine some 20 years ago, but I have never found one with the same slim body and Jazz type neck (maybe a little bit wider, but slim enough). I would really recommend looking around the second hand market for the older Warwicks, as the bodywork and tonality is fantastic, but If slap is your thing, maybe a bolt on neck with more attack than sustain would the better, as for instance the corvettes or similar.

Although I'm no slapper I've been told, by someone who really can slap, that my NT Spector has a great slap tone. It's the same essential body shape as a Streamer but sounds quite different from any Streamer I've heard.

Obviously the woods, pickups, pre-amp etc are making the big differences here!

Might be worth trying a Spector if the Streamer body shape is what attracting you :)

Euro Spectors are generally great quality and in a broad price range similar to a lot of Warwicks.

One of the biggest differences I've personally found with Warwicks is the feel of the necks. I had a Streamer with a very open grained wenge neck which I hated but my Infinity had a gorgeous maple neck.

I did find the fretwire on the Infinity a bit of a handful though, really heavy duty chunky frets which I wasn't that keen on.

My former 2000 SSI was a great bass...one of the best all-rounders...but I could never get "warmth" from it. Even after changing to EMGs and Aguilar circuit. I've recently acquired a 98 Thumb NT - much heavier, with a slightly displaced feeling (long neck on short body). The sound has more character than the SSI, with more of a bark to it. From what I remember the MEC pickups/circuit are pretty much identical (except for PJ /JJ) so I guess the tonal differences are down to the woods - all maple vs wenge/bubinga.

Had this Corvette $$ barely 36 hours now. It has loads of warmth, it isn't as hifi as the Lakland 5502 was - but that's why I wanted to change !

It can be seriously snarling and evil, I've found you have to really dig in to get the most out of it. Yet on the neck pickup, cutting the highs and boosting the lows it can do a seriously brilliant reggae/dub sound.

It seems to lack a little top end (acoustically too) so it might be the strings need changing, will see how it goes :).

I have a 91 ss1, wasn't getting on with the sound of it.
think it may be more my amp though (H&K quantum 600) todays finding was the mid boost button (for a classic soul sound) which boosts the low mids does nothing for my P bass BUT gives me the sound I was looking for on the warwick.

horrah!

if youve got your heart set on a streamer, get a quote from the warwick custom shop (specially if you're selling your TRB)? the streamer $$ belonging to a friend of mine certainly growls (im not a fan of the warwick necks) but the range of tones besides that core sound is formidable. the coil tap function is a really nice little feature!

my advice is to (if possible) try streamers with some of the different pickup combinations (P/J, $$, H/S) and see if one tickles your fancy!

hope this helps!