Jump to content
Jus Lukin

Epiphone Re-jig

Recommended Posts

It appears that Epiphone have really cut down on bass models. Just three are left, the Jack Casady, Allen Woody Rumblekat, and Violin Bass. Of course this means no Thunderbirds, EB-0, or EB-3!

I know that Gibson are in a transitional period, and have had a bit of a rocky (even rockier?!) patch in terms of their reputation, but I remain a fan of their basses and am interested to see how things develop for both parts of the company. I've long held that sticking to the classics for both The Big G and F makes the most sense from my perspective and therefore I don't particularly hope to see an explosion of new models. As much as I love my Classic Pro Thunderbird, I though it somewhat of an own goal due to it's similarity to the Gibson model. It seems a shame to have lost the more 60's inspired Thunderbird model though, and a complete lack of entry level EB- basses is worthy of note, even though they really aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I shall watch the next couple of years for Gibson and Epiphone with interest...

Edited by Jus Lukin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They haven't binned the Thunderbird, it's under the "Inspired by Gibson" section - https://www.epiphone.com/Guitars/Collection/Original-Bass/Epiphone

Split it into two branches - "Inspired by Gibson" and "Original" (and one bass under Kramer).

They do seem to have binned the bolt on Thunderbird and the Classic Pro (can hear bigredx cheering from here ;) ) and are only doing the Vintage Pro.

I think it's a bit daft - the Jack Casady Signature is hardly an Epiphone original - it's heavily derived from the Gibson Les Paul Signature bass, so technically it should be in the same "Inspired by Gibson" bit as the Thunderbird, no?

Maybe they're cooking up new stuff (like a more authentic EB-3 like the Elitist models from a while back)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still they appear to've lost the other basses and >gasp< the gorgeous Masterbilt guitars 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The QC on the new Epiphones is pretty patchy apparently, some pretty bad fretwork and finish issues going off independent reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neepheid said:

They haven't binned the Thunderbird, it's under the "Inspired by Gibson" section - https://www.epiphone.com/Guitars/Collection/Original-Bass/Epiphone

Right you are!

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I think it's a bit daft - the Jack Casady Signature is hardly an Epiphone original - it's heavily derived from the Gibson Les Paul Signature bass, so technically it should be in the same "Inspired by Gibson" bit as the Thunderbird, no?

Maybe they're cooking up new stuff (like a more authentic EB-3 like the Elitist models from a while back)...

Yeah, the Jack Casady is pretty much a Les Paul Bass, at least as 'inspired by' as the Vintage Pro T-bird.
I'm half expecting something new on the EB front. Even making the EB-0 neck-through might give the model a little boost, although I do understand they are a bit of a niche instrument.

They'll still be on the secondhand market for a long, long time, but it has inspired me to finally pick up a cheap EB-0 I saw online. I've wanted a cheap Gibbo-type I am comfortable dragging out to boozy local gigs for ages!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious to keep the “Viola” when it was never a Gibbo or Epi model. Also the Kramer D1 is listed as an Epi? So the Embassy hasn’t  lasted, shame as it seemed a quite good option as an entry model. Should have made it with the batwing headstock.

BRING BACK THE RIVIERA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Curious to keep the “Viola” when it was never a Gibbo or Epi model. Also the Kramer D1 is listed as an Epi? So the Embassy hasn’t  lasted, shame as it seemed a quite good option as an entry model. Should have made it with the batwing headstock.

BRING BACK THE RIVIERA

It's supposedly derived from the Gibson EB-1 although it looks more like a Hofner with the horrible rectangular control plate.

1970-gibson-eb-1-walnut.jpg?maxwidth=500

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's supposedly derived from the Gibson EB-1 although it looks more like a Hofner with the horrible rectangular control plate.

1970-gibson-eb-1-walnut.jpg?maxwidth=500

It's not really very much like either design, but does have more in common with the Hofner, which is rather disingenuous IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stranger and stranger considering Epiphone did an actual EB-1 a while back (even with the stand to play it upright) which seems much more in keeping with things but that got binned a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibson or Epiphone, I'd like to see a non-reverse 'bird (Thunderbird II, even!) and EB-2/Rivoli. I do have a cherry Rivoli, as it happens, but with an EB-2d or Rivoli II I might be able to get away with using one in more situations.
My tastes sometimes don't jive with what would actually sell well though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Gibson or Epiphone, I'd like to see a non-reverse 'bird (Thunderbird II, even!) and EB-2/Rivoli. I do have a cherry Rivoli, as it happens, but with an EB-2d or Rivoli II I might be able to get away with using one in more situations.
My tastes sometimes don't jive with what would actually sell well though!

I'd love to see a reissue of the Rivoli.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are enough fake EB2s being made in China to find one manufacturer to licence to produce an officially endorsed version of the Epi at a reasonable price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...