Why become a member? ×

New band

niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='403862' date='Feb 8 2009, 10:21 PM']Thanks a lot fellas - no it's not the blues band - I didn't get an audition. Anyway, here's the repertoire (there's more to come apparently) - I won't know what the set will be on Friday until I get an email tomorrow...(sorry about the caps - it's cut & pasted)

CHASING CARS – SNOW PATROL
MAN WHO CANT BE MOVED – THE SCRIPT
DREAMS CATCH ME – NEWTON FAULKNER
WHEREVER YOU WILL GO – THE CALLING
VALERIE – ZUTONS
WORD UP - CAMEO
RUBY RUBY RUBY RUBY – KAISER CHIEFS
SEX ON FIRE – KINGS OF LEON
CREEP – RADIOHEAD
SUN GOES DOWN – ARCTIC MONKEYS
WONDERWALL - OASIS
SHE’S ELECTRIC - OASIS
ITS ALL ABOUT YOU - MCFLY
I PREDICT A RIOT – KAISSER CHIEFS
CRAZY LIL THING CALLED LOVE
LONG TRAIN RUNNING – DOOBEY BROS
MARDY BUM – ARCTIC MONKEYS
MONY MONY – BILLY IDOL
RUN – SNOW PATROL
CRAZY – THE KOOKS
LONG TRAIN RUNNING – THE DOOBIE BROTHERS
BITTERSWEET SYMPHONY – THE VERVE
VERTIGO – U2
MAKE A MEMORY – BON JOVI
AMERICA – RAZORLIGHT
WHISTLE FOR THE CHOIR – THE FRATELLIS
FARAWAY – NICKLEBACK
ADVERTISING SPACE – ROBBIE WILLIAMS
UNIVERSALLY SPEAKING – CHILLIES
UNDER THE BRIDGE – CHILLIES
WONDERFUL WORLD – JAMES MORRISON
KAYLEIGH – MARILlION
POWER OF LOVE – FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
IM YOURS – THE SCRIPT
DRUGS DON’T WORK – THE VERVE
KARMA KILLER – ROBBIE WILLIAMS
DELILAH – TOM JONES
TIMES LIKE THESE – FOOFIGHTERS
WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS – GREENDAY
LIVING ON A PRAYER – BON JOVI
BED OF ROSES – BON JOVI
BETTER MAN – ROBBIE WILLIAMS
BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS - GREENDAY

Talk about diverse :P[/quote]
Nice. I am familliar with 40% of the above. I must get out more. ;)

Thats a hell of a list, 43 songs!!
I mean my covers band's list is about the same, 50 or so, but we pick and choose per gig, and usually end up with 9-12 per set!
Can you not request that you learn some of these for this gig and learn the rest of the next gig?

I'm with you though, playing a dep gig tomorrow night, first gig on 5 strings for maybe 4 years lol, so am currently learning all the awful cheese that my band wouldn't be seen dead doing lol. Playing on 5 because whenever i've dep'ed for this band before, they always have random singers that want the songs in all kinds of keys. I figure its easier to re-acquaint myself with (my friends) 5er over a couple of days, rather than having to transpose with a 4 on the fly.

Good luck though mate ;)

Si

Edited by Sibob

Best of luck matey.

To learn that lot in a week is a bit much, I think the rest of your new band need a reality check to assume someone can learn that lot in a week.

Maybe I'm underestimating your talent?

Do you have a day job or have the luxury of learning new tunes all day long?

Enjoy your gig on Friday.

[quote name='steantval' post='404595' date='Feb 9 2009, 06:10 PM']Best of luck matey.

To learn that lot in a week is a bit much, I think the rest of your new band need a reality check to assume someone can learn that lot in a week.

Maybe I'm underestimating your talent?

Do you have a day job or have the luxury of learning new tunes all day long?

Enjoy your gig on Friday.[/quote]

Unfortunately I have a day job that interrupts my playing :) I just noticed it's Friday the 13th too ;) :P

Well, where do I start? I had my audition last Sunday, was given a long list of songs to learn followed by Friday's set list which arrived on Monday. Twice, I asked the guitarist if there are any deviations from the original versions (key / structure etc) and he said there was only two songs - Wonderwall and Long Train Runnin' - no problem I said so long as I know the script (sh*t - don't mention the script). Needless to say I didn't see much of my missus all week and that my brain hurts from information overload. My ears have also taken on the shape of my headphones too - which is deeply disturbing.

I took Friday off (not cos it was the 13th) because I still had 4 songs to learn. Afternoon came and I drove to Oldham to meet the others, picked up their gear and went to the venue - a nice medium sized club (about 150 people capacity). So far so good.

I set up and get my levels in the ball park and then we sound check with "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script.
Twenty seconds into the song - the singer stops the band and says to me "That's all wrong - the bass isn't like that" to which I replied (politely) that I was playing the correct notes. Never mind I thought, I'll do it their way even though it's wrong. So we run through it again and everyone's happy.

So we try something else and that's all wrong too ..."We don't play it like that"..frustrated, I asked if there were any other surprises to which they said "there might be" so I proclaimed that the night was going to be a f*cking disaster and if it hadn't been someone's birthday bash, I would have walked.

The drummer and singer stayed at the venue so we could run through the set. So we start again with "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script and guess what? They said (the revised) bass line was wrong - "I know" I says and so they put the song through the PA using an MP3 player and I played the original correct bassline to it and they were a bit taken aback cos I was right in the first place.

I get the impression when they learn a song - it's done at rehearsal from memory / collective negotiation so with few exceptions, every song they do tends to be an approximation of the original and there's genuinely nothing wrong with that IMO, so long as you're not the new bass player standing in front of 150 people.

The first set goes well - we planned to do 45 mins but did 70 mins even after dropping two songs. Turns out the singer is not only an amazing vocalist but also an extremely funny bloke and knows how to work a crowd. I'm feeling a bit more relaxed and confident.

Second set starts ok - we open with that f*cking song "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script - I revert to the original bassline and it sounded brilliant. Then half way through the set, the singer asks if the audience like Oasis and, being in Oldham you can guess the reponse. No problem methinks I've learned Wonderwall (in the hastily revised key) and it goes down a storm. So...the singer asks if they'd like more Oasis... and sure enough the crowd calls out for more. I shout to the others that I don't know any more Oasis songs but they do more anyway.

You have to be a lifelong Beatles fan and scouser lik me to understand the emotions I went through playing Oasis shoit. My teeth were itchy and I had an expression on my face like I was having my scrotum shaved with a rusty, blunt carving knife. I played along watching the guitarist's hands and winging it and although I got through reasonably well, I'll probably need counselling for the remains of my days.

The singer's on a roll know so he leaves the set completely and decides to do some U2 stuff - another band of w***ers that I despise (sorry if you don't agree) So I wing Vertigo and it goes down a storm..So...the singer asks if they'd like more U2... and sure enough the crowd calls out for more. I shout to the others that I don't know any more U2 songs but they do more anyway.

By now, I feel like a picturesque **** and inwardly, I'm as miserable as sin. I turn round, look at my kit and start thinking about that Harley Davidson I'd promised myself once more.

Then...a revelation. I'd been dreading playing "Dance the Night Away" by the Mavericks all night but then, what else is there to lose. The guitarist starts with the opening strum and then, to my surprise the female vocalist whips out her trumpet and does the most amazing rendition of the song. The whole place was up on its feet and for the first time I could sit back with the mind numbingly simple bass line and enjoy myself. I hate the song but when it's this good...sit back and enjoy methinks.

One more song and it was over.

I came off thinking that they'll say thanks and bid me a fond adieu - but it turns out they were worried that I'd say no thanks lads - it's not for me. Turns out the last bass player was a root note strummer and they aren't used to proper basslines and they all said that they thought I'd done really well to learn as much as I did in the time I had.

I think the band has huge potential - the vocals are stunning and they play nice stuff but I struggled with the lack of structure TBH but that's probably me being too anal. I need to simplify what I do on the bass too - even I was probably guilding it a bit but that's what I had to do in my last band.

We got 3 other gigs on the back of last night - one of them a wedding too and I have a bit more time to learn their stuff and I'm looking forward to them. I think they realised that they need a more structured approach if it's going to reach full potential and I realise that I need to calm down, relax and enjoy myself a bit more.

Sorry it's been a bit like War & Peace.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='409440' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:52 PM']Well, where do I start? I had my audition last Sunday, was given a long list of songs to learn followed by Friday's set list which arrived on Monday. Twice, I asked the guitarist if there are any deviations from the original versions (key / structure etc) and he said there was only two songs - Wonderwall and Long Train Runnin' - no problem I said so long as I know the script (sh*t - don't mention the script). Needless to say I didn't see much of my missus all week and that my brain hurts from information overload. My ears have also taken on the shape of my headphones too - which is deeply disturbing.

I took Friday off (not cos it was the 13th) because I still had 4 songs to learn. Afternoon came and I drove to Oldham to meet the others, picked up their gear and went to the venue - a nice medium sized club (about 150 people capacity). So far so good.

I set up and get my levels in the ball park and then we sound check with "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script.
Twenty seconds into the song - the singer stops the band and says to me "That's all wrong - the bass isn't like that" to which I replied (politely) that I was playing the correct notes. Never mind I thought, I'll do it their way even though it's wrong. So we run through it again and everyone's happy.

So we try something else and that's all wrong too ..."We don't play it like that"..frustrated, I asked if there were any other surprises to which they said "there might be" so I proclaimed that the night was going to be a f*cking disaster and if it hadn't been someone's birthday bash, I would have walked.

The drummer and singer stayed at the venue so we could run through the set. So we start again with "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script and guess what? They said (the revised) bass line was wrong - "I know" I says and so they put the song through the PA using an MP3 player and I played the original correct bassline to it and they were a bit taken aback cos I was right in the first place.

I get the impression when they learn a song - it's done at rehearsal from memory / collective negotiation so with few exceptions, every song they do tends to be an approximation of the original and there's genuinely nothing wrong with that IMO, so long as you're not the new bass player standing in front of 150 people.

The first set goes well - we planned to do 45 mins but did 70 mins even after dropping two songs. Turns out the singer is not only an amazing vocalist but also an extremely funny bloke and knows how to work a crowd. I'm feeling a bit more relaxed and confident.

Second set starts ok - we open with that f*cking song "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script - I revert to the original bassline and it sounded brilliant. Then half way through the set, the singer asks if the audience like Oasis and, being in Oldham you can guess the reponse. No problem methinks I've learned Wonderwall (in the hastily revised key) and it goes down a storm. So...the singer asks if they'd like more Oasis... and sure enough the crowd calls out for more. I shout to the others that I don't know any more Oasis songs but they do more anyway.

You have to be a lifelong Beatles fan and scouser lik me to understand the emotions I went through playing Oasis shoit. My teeth were itchy and I had an expression on my face like I was having my scrotum shaved with a rusty, blunt carving knife. I played along watching the guitarist's hands and winging it and although I got through reasonably well, I'll probably need counselling for the remains of my days.

The singer's on a roll know so he leaves the set completely and decides to do some U2 stuff - another band of w***ers that I despise (sorry if you don't agree) So I wing Vertigo and it goes down a storm..So...the singer asks if they'd like more U2... and sure enough the crowd calls out for more. I shout to the others that I don't know any more U2 songs but they do more anyway.

By now, I feel like a picturesque **** and inwardly, I'm as miserable as sin. I turn round, look at my kit and start thinking about that Harley Davidson I'd promised myself once more.

Then...a revelation. I'd been dreading playing "Dance the Night Away" by the Mavericks all night but then, what else is there to lose. The guitarist starts with the opening strum and then, to my surprise the female vocalist whips out her trumpet and does the most amazing rendition of the song. The whole place was up on its feet and for the first time I could sit back with the mind numbingly simple bass line and enjoy myself. I hate the song but when it's this good...sit back and enjoy methinks.

One more song and it was over.

I came off thinking that they'll say thanks and bid me a fond adieu - but it turns out they were worried that I'd say no thanks lads - it's not for me. Turns out the last bass player was a root note strummer and they aren't used to proper basslines and they all said that they thought I'd done really well to learn as much as I did in the time I had.

I think the band has huge potential - the vocals are stunning and they play nice stuff but I struggled with the lack of structure TBH but that's probably me being too anal. I need to simplify what I do on the bass too - even I was probably guilding it a bit but that's what I had to do in my last band.

We got 3 other gigs on the back of last night - one of them a wedding too and I have a bit more time to learn their stuff and I'm looking forward to them. I think they realised that they need a more structured approach if it's going to reach full potential and I realise that I need to calm down, relax and enjoy myself a bit more.

Sorry it's been a bit like War & Peace.[/quote]

Good right up Al.

I could never do what you covers guys do. Originals are so much easier! I would be a bit pissed off if I had spent a week learning the songs as recorded, then told to change it on the night, but it sounds like it went down well. Sometimes its good to just say "f*** it" and go with the flow.

That sounds absolutely brilliant Alan, both a pleasure AND a challenge. It actually sounds quite exciting from a players point of view.

Oasis, they sound a lot like the Beatles to me (ducks and runs for cover) and U2, blasting out those root notes ;)

How was the Spector in the mix?

Peter

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='409440' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:52 PM']You have to be a lifelong Beatles fan and scouser lik me to understand the emotions I went through playing Oasis shoit. My teeth were itchy and I had an expression on my face like I was having my scrotum shaved with a rusty, blunt carving knife.[/quote]

I like you Al, you seem like a good guy. But having re-read your post, if you start insulting Oasis, I will hunt you down!!