Why become a member? ×

of all the lovely shukers out there...

Tait

[quote name='OldGit' post='402451' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:21 PM']Er what do you mean?
I think thats a BC member's bass ...[/quote]

what i mean is when i think shuker i think -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39830&hl=shuker"]simon1964's shuker[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=182&hl=shuker"]eude's shuker[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84&hl=shuker"]bassmonster's shuker[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25096&hl=shuker"]tinman's shuker[/url] (and a lot of nice examples, but tinmans is a fine example and the one i was searching for)
scroll down on the shuker mega thread to rich's, another drool worth bass
oh, and of course theres the doodle

i think of something a little bit special and exiciting looking, i mean the bass on his homepage is nice, but really its just a fender copy. not what i want to think of when i think shuker.

oh, and its definatly not a basschatters bass because i saw that bass when i went to jons workshop on saturday, it was a good looking bass, but even then, there were much nicer ones there, too.

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='402497' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:31 PM']Sorry but a custom bass can also be about playing and sounding fantastic. Look at my GB's. A lot of you get hung up on the fancy woods but does that affect the sound and playability? No.

[/quote]

yeah, but its a picture on a website. it doesnt matter how well it plays or sounds. looks is all that matters for a picture, so youd think jon would go with the best looking bass for his homepage.

i just feel that he has made so many much nicer looking, and much more original looking, basses than a blue jazz bass copy, and if you look at those links i put up, im sure youll agree with me. im not saying its an ugly bass, but its just a fender copy.

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='402500' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:34 PM']I just feel that he has made so many much nicer looking, and much more original looking, basses than a blue jazz bass copy, and if you look at those links i put up, im sure youll agree with me. im not saying its an ugly bass, but its just a fender copy.[/quote]
Maybe Jon was proud of it for other reasons?

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='402500' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:34 PM']i just feel that he has made so many much nicer looking, and much more original looking, basses than a blue jazz bass copy, and if you look at those links i put up, im sure youll agree with me. im not saying its an ugly bass, but its just a fender copy.[/quote]
Look at what is being played by bands on the telly and on your local pub curcuit. I bet there are a lot more people that would buy that than a singlecut tabletop. IMO ;)

I think it's a good front page, I'm not a big fan of coffee tables (bassmonsters deep purple over flamed maple is jaw droppingly lush though), so that Jazz is a good example.

While I'm here, Ferret, weren't you going to get a fretted counterpart for your black stealth fretless at one point?

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='402515' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:47 PM']Look at what is being played by bands on the telly and on your local pub curcuit. I bet there are a lot more people that would buy that than a singlecut tabletop. IMO ;)[/quote]
+1

Looks pretty good to me!

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='402500' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:34 PM']im not saying its an ugly bass, but its just a fender copy.[/quote]
'Tis true, he could IMHO have found something nicer for the front page -- I bet it's a beaut to play, but sorry to whoever owns it, but it isn't really a looker -- but it's not "just a Fender copy" any more than ferret's red 'un is just a P copy. ;)

Personally if I'd been choosing a 'straight' looking bass for the shop window, I'd have used the lovely burst Jazz at the bottom of the sale stock page. Oh, the GAS when I look at that one...

I did realise that was what you meant after a good night's sleep but Jon changes the bass on his home page frequently. Each has it's fans.

Just as some like the gorgeously wooded custom Shuker shaped basses (like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=5402&view=findpost&p=96445"]my own[/url] ;) ) some people really like Jazz basses and are surprised to find someone making a hand made super Jazz they can afford, and in the UK too.

Purple flip paint 7 string single cut customs are Ok (well actually they are fantastic) but I bet Jon sells more JJ Burnel P basses and jazz-like basses per year ..
Got to pay the rent, chaps ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='402488' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:19 PM']Jon was told by some bloke at a trade fair that blue jazz was the nicest one they'd ever played. I tried it as well but Jon hasn't wired the pickups out of phase so it wasn't emitting classic scoopy jazz sounds.[/quote]

But jazz basses have the pickups wired in phase.

Alex

I'm with LWTAIT on this one. Just about every custom bass luthier does their version of the J bass - hell even BassLab do one!

Lets face it just about anyone with some woodworking skills and some knowledge of the instrument can make a J bass - all the hard work has been done for you by plenty of others from Fender onwards.

IMO the classic Shuker design and the one that would make me pick Shuker over another UK luthier for a custom bass would be his original double cut designs on the Thru-neck and bolt-on galleries.

[quote name='OldGit' post='402730' date='Feb 7 2009, 11:58 AM']Just as some like the gorgeously wooded custom Shuker shaped basses (like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=5402&view=findpost&p=96445"]my own[/url] ;) ) some people really like Jazz basses and are surprised to find someone making a hand made super Jazz they can afford, and in the UK too...[/quote]

ooh thats nice, i've not seen that before

Edited by LWTAIT