Why become a member? ×

Brit Awards 2020

ClassicVibes

1 hour ago, Davo-London said:

There's too much hatred in this world.  I'm not sure this helps.

Peace

Davo

Stuff gets buried. Most people live safely in their own bubble of an existence. This kind of thing helps to say what’s still going on. That’s one of the purposes of art, to encourage discourse and grab people’s attention.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ambient said:

Stuff gets buried. Most people live safely in their own bubble of an existence. This kind of thing helps to say what’s still going on. That’s one of the purposes of art, to encourage discourse and grab people’s attention.

Agree, I wasn’t that keen on it at first, as the lyrics hold pretty much no relevance to me or my life, so just thought it a bit meh. But then I had the bizarre thought  - he was singing about his life/experiences, at that point I listened harder and to be honest some of what he was saying I found quite uncomfortable to hear, that black people still have such prejudices to overcome. Quite shameful that society is still geared like this. And so very right that he has this platform to make it known.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Davo-London said:

There's too much hatred in this world.  I'm not sure this helps.

Peace

Davo

47 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, I wasn’t that keen on it at first, as the lyrics hold pretty much no relevance to me or my life, so just thought it a bit meh. But then I had the bizarre thought  - he was singing about his life/experiences, at that point I listened harder and to be honest some of what he was saying I found quite uncomfortable to hear, that black people still have such prejudices to overcome. Quite shameful that society is still geared like this. And so very right that he has this platform to make it known

1 hour ago, ambient said:

I think there is a difference between hatred and letting people know actually his stuff is real and still goes on, if you listen closely he talks about rehabilitation being needed, and the need to show more positivity.

If we take the race side of things out of one of his points, is it not a tragedy that people from Grenfell towers are still homeless? Maybe race/poverty/social class is an issue there. You can probably safely say if a block of penthouse Appartments in Chelsea or Park Lane or somewhere like that burnt down, something may well have been done by now....?

Being different from the ‘norm’ is an issue whether it’s race, gender or mental health, private vs state school education, North vs South, fat, skinny etc.

I do reiterate this that I wager most people on here are moderate, so none of these things are issues for them as they would not see these ‘differences’ as barriers, it’s uncomfortable because it feels wrong as you/we know better, but for the majority of folk out there they will see a difference and discriminate.

I don’t mind telling a story.

Rugby club I played at had an old dear who did the teas, brilliant lovely woman, kind of one you want for a gran or a great aunt. She came out to the others and me one day with “I don’t like black kids, they are always up to no good”

Obvious response was, “You cant say that! What about Cuzzie?” (I is a bit black)

”Oh not him, he’s different” and I get my usual cuddle.

No madness from me, it’s the exposure she has had, but she slowly changed her views. Many people won’t based on ignorance, or even worse actively discriminate.

This stuff needs to be out there, and people who are moderate need to be encouraged to have a word if they see something not socially right going on, it’s the ripple effect.

This music will reach much more people in a way compared if he wrote it and placed it in a blog, or in print, and hopefully do some good as well as provide enjoyment.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

F.W.I.W he's getting lots of the predicted hate ex Daily Heil etc. At least he has something to say. Good to see the general tone of comments here. Grime not my thing really - @ 57 years old I guess I'm not right demographic.

But you listened and took the time to watch - that makes you every bit cool

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

But you listened and took the time to watch - that makes you every bit cool

Was a story in Guardian on-line @ followed up. Then saw thread here. Might still be young enough to make a toecurling pass at Ms Ryan too a-la slowthai.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

As promised quality wise

Wow, that was good.

Even if you didn't like rap and didn't like his message, how many people do you know who could remember all that?

I have trouble with a 3 minute pop song.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1