Why become a member? ×

The finest valve amp money can buy

Pookus

[quote name='Pookus' post='399360' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:09 PM']If money was no object - what would be the finest valve amp around? (And possibly the cab to go with it) Could be vintage or new.[/quote]

Well the amp would be around 750w and have say three separate pre-amps (Alembic, Ampeg, SWR) and weigh no more than say 20kg.

The cabinet would be an 8 x10 + 2 x 15 + 2 x 12 in a fold-down box weighing no more than 20kg and fitting in a briefcase.

Well you can dream cant you ;)

Depends on what your criteria are.

If it was sound, I'd say pair an Alembic F-1X with a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 for a sweet, hi-fi tone... ...or a Burman but they're my little secret. Shhhh!

If it was power, there's not a lot to beat a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, a Trace Elliot V8 for a bit of grit or alternatively an Aguilar DB359 if you want a modern clean tone. If you are lucky, you could pickup an Eden VT300 from the US. They sell for relatively low prices compared to similar spec amps from known brands. If you are after a vintage tone, then there's the Ampeg SVT Classic but I think its a bit of a one trick pony.

Alternatively...

...If you really have money to burn...

...find a lesser known amp maker like Torres amps and tell them what you want. It'll cost you the best part of £2k though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='399395' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:45 PM']I think I would go in to the shop to buy an Ampeg but walk out with a Mesa 400+[/quote]
I oh so nearly bought a 400+ after demoing one loudly through a Powerhouse 2x15, but fortunately tried to lift it before handing the cash over. If I ever get successful enough to have a roadie, I'll get one straight away. Best amps I've ever tried. Larry Boothroyd can't be wrong.

I Uses an Aguilar DB680 & DB728 Valve Pre- Power with a pair of GS410's (see avatar) for about 6 months.

Best Sound i've ever had !! not sure the Cabs were the last word but would have loved a pair of Begantino 410's with that set up.

Ultimately though the Weight of that Set Up became a drag doing 3/4 shows a week, as we were at the time

ATB

Mark

Ah yes, an amp with a chimney.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='399480' date='Feb 3 2009, 10:08 PM']f***in' great reply. F.A.F. ;)[/quote]

First, +1 - I nearly pi**ed myself!

I'd love to try Marcus' rig above - I think that would do it for me (maybe with two Epi ul310s - probably lighter than the amps!)

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='JPJ' post='399377' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:28 PM']Well the amp would be around 750w and have say three separate pre-amps (Alembic, Ampeg, SWR) and weigh no more than say 20kg.

The cabinet would be an 8 x10 + 2 x 15 + 2 x 12 in a fold-down box weighing no more than 20kg and fitting in a briefcase.

Well you can dream cant you ;)[/quote]
a 750watt valve amp ;o are you trying to kill people with volume?

[quote name='metaltime' post='399421' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:17 PM']On the Alembic forum a lot of people rate Glokenklang i would love to try that stuff out. It looks immense.[/quote]

Glockenklang products are solid state. On the Alembic forum, you tend to get people with money who would rate anything as long as it is expensive. Other than DFUNG there's hardly anyone there who has anything acoustically or technically sensible to say about amplification.

[quote name='Pookus' post='399360' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:09 PM']If money was no object - what would be the finest valve amp around? (And possibly the cab to go with it) Could be vintage or new.[/quote]

It depends on your tone goals, whether you want to drive the valves hard or not, in either the pre or power amp sections.

The cleanest tube preamp I've used, is the Demeter VTBP 201. The fattest 'tubiest' bass pre would be a Read purity.

I would chase a vintage Mcintosh power amp, or at least a new one:
[url="http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcintosh-mc2102-vacuum-tube-power-amplifier.asp"]http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcint...r-amplifier.asp[/url]

[quote name='umph' post='399869' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:20 PM']a 750watt valve amp ;o are you trying to kill people with volume?[/quote]

World domination plan 'b', harness the power of the infamous 'brown note' and then threaten world leaders with embarrassing trouser/skirt moments if they don't pay me squillions of money in all currencies ;)

[quote name='Marcus' post='399683' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:31 AM']I Uses an Aguilar DB680 & DB728 Valve Pre- Power with a pair of GS410's (see avatar) for about 6 months.

Best Sound i've ever had !! not sure the Cabs were the last word but would have loved a pair of Begantino 410's with that set up.

Ultimately though the Weight of that Set Up became a drag doing 3/4 shows a week, as we were at the time

ATB

Mark[/quote]

Mark,

Are you bringing your rig to the NE Bish Bash then?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='399842' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:03 PM']If you can get hold of one then surely the PJB T-500 takes first place:

[url="http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/AMP/T-500.htm"]http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/AMP/T-500.htm[/url]

Alex[/quote]

If that sounds even remotely like my little PJB 'bass buddy' then I want one!

[quote name='JPJ' post='399911' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:02 PM']If that sounds even remotely like my little PJB 'bass buddy' then I want one![/quote]

I don't know how many exist - it sold for $10k and I think they still lost money on each one. A true 'halo' model like the Veyron. Imagine it stacked on top of their 16H cab - possibly even too loud for Lemmy!

Alex