Why become a member? ×

Are you fully aware of the band when playing live?

xilddx

We had a gig last week and recorded it on the drummer's little Zoom H4. We had a couple of extended song ends where the singer was freestyling and playing around on her Kaoss Pad. My favourite part of the show was playing a dub bass riff over a fast four-on-the-floor Copeland-type workout, my drummer is ace and pulled it off with great panache and intensity. Now, I love playing that style and I got really lost in it, totally tripped out with a huge adreneline buzz. Although I was aware of what was going on at the time, it wasn't until I listened to the recording that I noticed all the wonderful interplay going on between the bass and kit, and the voice.

It made me wonder why I didn't really pick all that up at the time, I was only aware of the impression of what was going on. I feel a bit disappointed in myself, like I'm not a proper musician. But I'm also pleased that magic can be happening even when one is not aware of it.

Saturdays gig I was totally rocking out to the volume, and only noticed what was going on outside of what I had to do to keep in time. I did notice the horrified look on the soundman's face when our singer jumped onto the drummers kit (soundman knows the drummer, and how protective of his kit he is). I very nearly didn't notice the singer when he came up to me as my hair was wrapped around my face like a scarf, and I nearly hit him with my headstock. As for what was going on musically, it was mostly volume.

I'm only aware of the chicks in the front row buffing themselves up to see who I choose for the after-show party. Or alternatively, the drummer speeding up, the singer forgetting the words and starting his guitar intros a fret out.

On a good gig, I listen to me, the drummer and the wicked Angus Young wannabee solos the guitarist does, in that order. I tend to ignore the rhythm guitar, it's better like that.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='397892' date='Feb 2 2009, 02:27 PM']i usually spend most of the time keeping an eye on the drummer as he's usually looking at me 'cos he can never remember the songs![/quote]
Oh that's all too familiar! Sometimes I need to remind the drummer of the tempo, or even sing the intro to him... Well, that was one particular drummer, but he's better now.

[quote name='teej' post='397893' date='Feb 2 2009, 02:27 PM']Totally - that's a huge part of how we work: no rehearsals, no arrangements, no set lists, everything on the fly. Lots of eye contact and there's no problem.[/quote]

Wow , sounds ace! Can do that in one of the bands I play in to a certain extent.
In my main band I do listen to everything,in this order - Vocals (in case i need to jump in!),drums (to monitor tempo/tempos!),
guitar,keys,horns. And me before the lot of 'em,LOL!

Yes, aware of about 95% of the stuff thats played but thats because I wrote most of the arrangements or structures so made it my business to find out whats being played. I still get surprised now and again when I listen to one of the tracks on the headphones and hear something new. Makes it really cool.

You've got to be fully aware in order to play jazz properly. Count Basie called it 'total listening'. Its actually very hard to focus that intensely for whole sets. But that's where the art of it is. I guess its easier if you play a fretless instrument because you are listening closely all of the time in order to maintain your intonation.

Noone said it would be easy.

All I remember being aware of was the pulse and the accents. It was tight, musical, thrilling, improvised but I was only half aware, like in a dream. Doesn't happen very often, we usually have rigid structure and don't deviate very much, because the song is king. We have a lot of comms going on on stage usually. It was sort of instictive I suppose. Drummer's eyes were closed, he was trippin too.

[quote name='silddx' post='397941' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:06 PM']All I remember being aware of was the pulse and the accents. It was tight, musical, thrilling, improvised but I was only half aware, like in a dream. Doesn't happen very often, we usually have rigid structure and don't deviate very much, because the song is king. We have a lot of comms going on on stage usually. It was sort of instictive I suppose. Drummer's eyes were closed, he was trippin too.[/quote]

That's a good thing. It's being in the zone!

[quote name='The Funk' post='397948' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:10 PM']That's a good thing. It's being in the zone![/quote]

Isn't that where the magic bass pixie makes it all happen?!

You should know what you are doing all of the time. Anything else is a fortunate accident and shouldn't be an aspiration! 'The Zone' is the space where rational people suggest we can all go to justify why we can't play like people that work harder than we do. If your drummer had his eyes closed so he could concentrate and listen more effectively, then great. If he was looking for nirvana, them sack him ;).

I fell asleep playing a tune once - just for a second, like when you are tired and driving (the bit before you pull over and throw up!!). In the zone my a***, I wasn't even in the venue!

Ok, technically I know you're right Bilbo. But we were playing dub rock, not Thelonius Monk. Plus, between the two of us, we have about 60 years of experience so I think even though we may not have been fully conscious of it, we knew what was happening because we felt the dynamics and fed off each other.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='397989' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:52 PM']Isn't that where the magic bass pixie makes it all happen?![/quote]

Nah, it's where all the years of practice on your own and in rehearsal come together for you and the guys you're playing with to the point where you are able to operate almost entirely on a subconscious level, eg. you know what everyone else is doing almost before they're doing it - but without thinking about it or concentrating on anything.

[quote name='silddx' post='397941' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:06 PM']All I remember being aware of was the pulse and the accents. It was tight, musical, thrilling, improvised but I was only half aware, like in a dream. Doesn't happen very often, we usually have rigid structure and don't deviate very much, because the song is king. We have a lot of comms going on on stage usually. It was sort of instictive I suppose. Drummer's eyes were closed, he was trippin too.[/quote]

[quote name='The Funk' post='397948' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:10 PM']That's a good thing. It's being in the zone![/quote]

Beat me to it Mr The Funk sir.

Not only is this Zone a very real thing, its been studied, and its said to be the reason behind a lot of top sportspeople's success. I get it sometimes too. Funnily enough I was well in the zone for my entire driving test (many years ago) the examiner was just a disembodied voice, it was retrospectively quite a bizarre experience, essentially just concentrating so hard that you lose yourself completely to the moment.

I also find that zone when I'm recording sometimes - then its almost always a really great take, so I'm not surprised your recording turned out so well silddx, not at all!

Of course dont mistake the zone with being stoned off your gourd - sometimes it can feel very similar (so I'm told ;) ) but on the one hand you play brilliant and dont realise and on the other you think you played brilliantly but didnt realise you just pissed yourself in front of everyone....

[quote name='johnnylager' post='397889' date='Feb 2 2009, 02:26 PM']I'm only aware of the chicks in the front row buffing themselves up to see who I choose for the after-show party.[/quote]
;)

Why am I not surprised by that answer Mr Lager?? Good to see you have your priorities right! Unlike me of course, who studiously listens to every note & beat played by the rest of the band for the whole gig.. :P

i tend to lose myself to the drums, i just concentrate on them, i know exactly what i should be playing, and if a guitarist messes up keep going, the drummer won't wait for them to catch up! I tend to get to the point where i sort of drift off elsewhere if i really know what i'm doing and before i know it, the gig is over! It's kind of disappointing!

Oh yeah, i tend to take notice of the vocals too, just so i know where in the song we are!

Edited by budget bassist

I'd only had a couple of beers, same as our drummer. I don't need the drugs no more. Sometimes I think recording gigs takes away the mystery, like all the underwater footage of fish, makes my fishing less interesting, less mysterious and magical. However, this recording has taught me a lot, I should trust myself more, I don't normally. It certainly taught me I need to practice playing and dancing at the same time ;-) I dropped quite a few bummers for the sake of showmanship! No-one seemed to mind much though, that's no excuse of course.