Why become a member? ×

2x12 cabs

William James Easton

I've recently been sniffing around for lightweight cabs to go with my new Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. I wanted 4ohms to get as much as poss out of the head, but 4ohm cabs are hard to come by with enough wattage for my purposes, so I soon realised that a pair of single 8ohm cabs was the way to go-I'm currently buying a pair of custom Ashdown ABM 112's with Celestion Neo's in them. Looking forward to giving them a go, and to easier rig handling!

Edited by Deep Thought

I went from a Schroeder 1212L to two Bergantino 1x12's .. The Bergs are probably a bit pricey but the ministack is a great idea.
I sandwich my 3U rack in between the two so I get speaker a bit closer to my ears ..

Anyway there's a pair of Aguilar 1x12's for sale on eBay at present £250 each with no bids
[url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/pottytime"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/pottytime[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='394848' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:36 PM']This is the best all-round cab I've ever had and I've had a few in my time ;) It's light, loud, deep and punchy. It has castors too...

[/quote]
Mmm, I might be interested in something like that. Where'd you get it? And how for how much?

[quote name='William James Easton' post='394814' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:02 PM']don't like trace gear. never have. dont know why just one of them things.[/quote]

You ever tried the cabs with a different head? I've never hear an 1153 sound bad with anything for a rock sound; read Tom Bowlus's review on Talkbass. Plus you'll get one for about £150 s/h.

I got to play a Schroeder in the Gallery the other day (not sure if it was a 1210 or 1212), using an LMK head. Tried various basses through it, from my CS through Warwick to Sei; it was very honky and had no bottom to speak of, and must say I didn't find it tremendously articulate. Obviously I realise they're for live; I'd be interested see what one was like in the band. Rather ironically given previous experience I really liked the Epi 902 through an Epi 410 cab, that turned out to be much more my bag (the opposite of what I'd expected).

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='398428' date='Feb 2 2009, 10:28 PM']You ever tried the cabs with a different head? I've never hear an 1153 sound bad with anything for a rock sound; read Tom Bowlus's review on Talkbass. Plus you'll get one for about £150 s/h.[/quote]
yes on many an occasion. beauty is in the ear og the beholder and all that.

[quote name='Huwberry' post='398226' date='Feb 2 2009, 07:34 PM']Mmm, I might be interested in something like that. Where'd you get it? And how for how much?[/quote]

Not sure if you mean the whole rig but if you do, you're looking at about £1600-1700 new if you have the footswitch for the head (as I do) and about £600 for the cab on it's own. I bought what you see in the photo used in mint condition for about a grand. Money very well spent.

By the way, the head runs at 2 ohms and I'm so tempted to hear what it would sound like with a second 2x12 - now that would be a proper rig.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='398706' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:01 AM']Not sure if you mean the whole rig but if you do, you're looking at about £1600-1700 new if you have the footswitch for the head (as I do) and about £600 for the cab on it's own. I bought what you see in the photo used in mint condition for about a grand. Money very well spent.

By the way, the head runs at 2 ohms and I'm so tempted to hear what it would sound like with a second 2x12 - now that would be a proper rig.[/quote]

looking at the bassmerchant site it would be £1388 delivered, for the rig including footswitch (£799 for head including footswitch and £589 for the cab, this includes delivery)
[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturer_id=37&offset=6"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/manufacturers....37&offset=6[/url]

and darren has been known to do a deal for a Basschatter...

[quote name='Platypus' post='400482' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:12 PM']looking at the bassmerchant site it would be £1388 delivered, for the rig including footswitch (£799 for head including footswitch and £589 for the cab, this includes delivery)
[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturer_id=37&offset=6"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/manufacturers....37&offset=6[/url]

and darren has been known to do a deal for a Basschatter...[/quote]

Wow - that's a good price Paul ;)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='398706' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:01 AM']Not sure if you mean the whole rig but if you do, you're looking at about £1600-1700 new if you have the footswitch for the head (as I do) and about £600 for the cab on it's own. I bought what you see in the photo used in mint condition for about a grand. Money very well spent.

By the way, the head runs at 2 ohms and I'm so tempted to hear what it would sound like with a second 2x12 - now that would be a proper rig.[/quote]

Yep, I'd love to add a second one to my rig and get the Shuttle 12.0 myself! ;)