Why become a member? ×

Good head for metal?

budget bassist

I'm thinking about selling my tobias and my current amp head (running an ashdown EB180) which should give me £400, enough for a decent used head i think. I've seen markbass LMII heads going for that much and they seem really good, i've tried the jeff berlin combo a couple of time and it sounded really good, but how would it sound in the mix for metal? I'm after something really punchy that will cut through and really bring out the growl in my warwick and musicmans. Any other suggestions? I was also thinking something along the likes of a GK 700RB-II, an ampeg SVT-3 pro or an ampeg B-2R, B-2RE or a B-1RE.

Also, would any/all of the above sound significantly better through my ashdown MAG 115 and 210T cabs until i can scrape together enough money to upgrade them too?

Definitely go for the GK, you can get a new one for £399, way better value than the Ampeg. I used to have the B-2R and it did me proud for a couple of years, but I couldn't believe how much better I sounded through the GK. A much clearer tone, way more volume to play with.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='392011' date='Jan 26 2009, 06:58 PM']I've seen markbass LMII heads going for that much and they seem really good, i've tried the jeff berlin combo a couple of time and it sounded really good, but how would it sound in the mix for metal? I'm after something really punchy that will cut through and really bring out the growl in my warwick and musicmans.[/quote]

I've just got rid of my Jeff Berlin combo which I found way too clinical and am now running a Markbass R500 through a 610. This has just enough warmth and growl for me (I'm playing mostly blues & soul). Only just enough though.
Chris

[quote name='Veils' post='392485' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:20 AM']My tip - buy a Sansamp BDDI[/quote]

Agreed, buy anything powerful (SVT3, GK etc) with plenty of head room... then put a BDDI in front of it.

Or.... check out a second hand Tech 21 Landmark 300 or 600 Head....

[quote name='Musky' post='392453' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:51 AM']You could always take a punt on the new GK MB2 - there one on ebay atm [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gallien-Krueger-MB2-500-Ultra-Light-Bass-Amplifier-Head_W0QQitemZ250360582896"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gallien-Krueger-MB2-...emZ250360582896[/url][/quote]
I wanted one of them but i can't seem to find them anywhere over here. Unfortunately i don't have the money right now, i still need to sell my tobias.

[quote name='umph' post='393666' date='Jan 28 2009, 01:54 PM']second hand sound city / simm watts / laney / carlsbro. Anything from the 70s with atleast 100watts will get you great loud tone[/quote]

Once they've been serviced. Sansamp into a firebass, theres a couple for good prices in trade, and not all from me. Then you use the firsbass crossover to split your signal into another amp.

I have used a peavy fire bass at pretty much every rehearsal studio i have been too (probably testament to how rock solid they are) and they sound great for metal or heavier stuff. Sansamp is also a great idea.

I think i read somewhere that the bass player from Killswitch Engage has his own one and that he sets the EQ on every rented head they use on tour flat so he can adjust his tone via the Sansamp so he can get a consistent sound.