Why become a member? ×

For All You Old Gits......

WHUFC BASS

Some TV Channel should do this now... it would be a sure fire winner. You heard it here first...

That's Henry Thomas' Thumb by the way, slapping the crap out of his Westone Thunder IIIA.

[url="http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/01/rock-school-out-now-on-dvd.html"]http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/01/roc...now-on-dvd.html[/url]

Edited by WHUFC BASS

I definitely remember it, but not particularly fondly! It was very high on 'cringe factor' IIRC..

Having said that, Henry Thomas used to live down the road from me in north London and I used to go to him for lessons for a while in the mid 90's and he was absolutely brilliant - both as a teacher and as a person - and I learnt a lot from him in a very short space of time!

Though he's a very talented bass player, he started out learning Cello apparently...

[quote name='uptonmark' post='390787' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:08 AM']i didn`t realise how [s]gay[/s] camp he seemed back then ;)[/quote]
I assume you are referring to mr thomas? I dont think hes camp. (Does anyone know if he is on the other bus?) He just seems nervous in front of the camera and a bit quiet and sensitive. Definately a case of an unfunky person being able to play extremely funky bass lines. I am going to watch some more of them on youtube tonight.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='390742' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:06 AM']I definitely remember it, but not particularly fondly! It was very high on 'cringe factor' IIRC..[/quote]

aaah, but i guess it was acceptable in the 80's

my mum and dad bought me some kind of rockschool book for bass, which i sort of looked at a bit.

reckon it'd be a blast to see the shows again though.

[quote name='ahpook' post='391197' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:31 PM']aaah, but i guess it was acceptable in the 80's
my mum and dad bought me some kind of rockschool book for bass, which i sort of looked at a bit.
reckon it'd be a blast to see the shows again though.[/quote]

;)

konban-wa pookie

[quote name='YouMa' post='391187' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:26 PM']I assume you are referring to mr thomas? I dont think hes camp. (Does anyone know if he is on the other bus?) He just seems nervous in front of the camera and a bit quiet and sensitive. Definately a case of an unfunky person being able to play extremely funky bass lines. I am going to watch some more of them on youtube tonight.[/quote]

The guitarist in my band is a former partner of Henry's - they are still in touch. My guitarist is female BTW :P I can assure you that Henry is not on the [i]other [/i]bus ;)

Not that there's anything wrong.. etc..

I could be totally wrong about this but I recall many moons ago at the Bradford Festival one lunchtime seeing the Deidre Cartwright Band, which was an all female ensemble.
What stuck in my mind was not that she was playing a Parker Fly but the Bassist was playing a WAL.
Can anyone back me up on this?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='391248' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:21 PM']I could be totally wrong about this but I recall many moons ago at the Bradford Festival one lunchtime seeing the Deidre Cartwright Band, which was an all female ensemble.
What stuck in my mind was not that she was playing a Parker Fly but the Bassist was playing a WAL.
Can anyone back me up on this?[/quote]

Wasn't she the guitarist in 'The Belle Stars'?? I'm sure she was...

[quote name='crez5150' post='391259' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:28 PM']Wasn't she the guitarist in 'The Belle Stars'?? I'm sure she was...[/quote]

Not sure - I don't think she was! However, I was of course a secret fan and the bassist in the Belle Stars used to play a lovely black Aria SB-1000 as I recall, being a gangly pubescent wannabee bassist back then who would spend his time playing along to tapes of The Shadows on his Aria CSB-450!

Used to love Rockschool - Henry had a great style and it was quite inspirational at the time. Deidre is a very competent player but I always felt she put little `soul' in her playing imho. Her band's bassist did use a Wal - there was a picture of them once in Guitarist mag - I might have dreamt it but I think that band was called the `All Stars'!

Ah, the 80's eh?