Why become a member? ×

Playing with Headphones

Mickyk

Just purchased an Ashdown Mag 115-300 Evo 111 amp very pleased with the sounds and tone im getting from it.Only one small niggle,it doesn't have an headphone jack for silent practice.

So on that note(no pun intended) ?would it be possible to purchase some kind of Mini Amp that would convert the signal to use with headphones,and if so where would i connect it. 

This will do the trick - massive bang for your buck!

Audio input, headphone output, looper, drum machine and a zillion amp models and effects to play with.

Use it on its own for silent practice or plug it in the amp jack input if you want to run it thru your amp.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/zoom-b1on-bass-multi-effects-processor-b1on?lgw_code=16284-B1ON&gclid=CjwKCAiAi4fwBRBxEiwAEO8_Hrn9uksjr01rece3FvilmWxBpUyBM4gIeG5Pkh_RG-NVA7RxAXfvbBoCIjYQAvD_BwE

Edited by Mudpup
  • Thanks 3

If going Zoom, the B1Four is the newer generation, only sightly more expensive but a better sounding selection of amps and distortions!

Alternative option is to get a small mixer, e.g. the Behringer MA400 and plug the XLR out from your amp to the XLR input of that.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I 've used the Zoom B1on for practice at home for the last few years, it's a great, economical piece of kit. I wouldn't be without one now.

My middle son now uses it for practicing guitar...I've told him to buy the guitar version but he's too tight to part with his cash.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mickyk said:

You could use that, but don’t forget that if going to headphones you wont get any simulation of using a real amp/cab. All this will do is to give you the preamp tone, which can sound pretty flat and uninspiring in headphones. 

I'd go for the B1-On if money is tight, as suggested by Mudpup, and forget about the Ashdown for this sort of thing. The B1-FOur is better but costs a bit more. Either  B1 will get you a much, much better playing experience, and who knows, you might even use it through the Ashdown as it has some great effects in it, plus a drum machine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muppet said:

Ashdown created this gizmo specifically for the situation you describe.  Bit pricey though!!!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitar-pedals/bass-di-boxes/ashdown-phone-box-headphone-out-di-box-for-connection-to-heads

36 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

You could use that, but don’t forget that if going to headphones you wont get any simulation of using a real amp/cab. All this will do is to give you the preamp tone, which can sound pretty flat and uninspiring in headphones. 

I'd go for the B1-On if money is tight, as suggested by Mudpup, and forget about the Ashdown for this sort of thing. The B1-FOur is better but costs a bit more. Either  B1 will get you a much, much better playing experience, and who knows, you might even use it through the Ashdown as it has some great effects in it, plus a drum machine. 

This is doing my head in now,im between two  minds or maybe three,just took a look at the Ashdown Phone Box and seems you can use with  an Audio interface...Quote,The ‘Line Out’ can be used as a recording-out into your audio interface. The Line Out and Headphone Outputs can be used at the same time, as can the Balanced Di Output.Unquote..

?Could the b1 be used for much the same thing as above

?I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2,could that be used as an headphone amp on a stand alone basis.

Sorry for all questions ,it's a minefield to me .

What's missing from the above, other than the Zoom, is lack of amp/cab sims. These really make a difference if using headphones. 

One other thing to consider, you can plug headphones in to the Send without needing anything other than a mono jack adaptor. I'm not sure how the Send/return is configured, if there it a pre/post switch then that would be ideal. It's not the best way to do this, but ive just tried it with my 3 heads and my headphones were more than capable of being used in this way. In fact i use my Helix with headphones plugged directly in to the main outs. 

EDIT. Just looked at the manual for the MAG and it seems the Send is post EQ, so that means you would more or less get the same as if you were using that Headphone box, although with less control over volume (you would use the input knob to control output as well). Might be the cheapest option if your headphones are sensitive enough. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

What exactly do you want to do? Just silent practice using phones or running through the amp and into headphones? Is it just so you can hear yourself practice or do you need a more accurate sound? Do you specifically want to use the amp? Do you want to record anything whilst you're playing through the phones? 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mudpup said:

What exactly do you want to do? Just silent practice using phones or running through the amp and into headphones? Is it just so you can hear yourself practice or do you need a more accurate sound? Do you specifically want to use the amp? Do you want to record anything whilst you're playing through the phones? 

All of the above now really.?what can you recommend.