Why become a member? ×

On 17/04/2024 at 13:12, Al Krow said:

Oh dear...I seem to have started something...gonna be in so much trouble if you guys are not hearing the upgrade benefit of the ZARs over the ZS 10s I'm finding - albeit from purely a home A/B and pre-gig! 😂 

Road tested the ZARs tonight in a full live band setting. I won't be going back to the ZS 10s!! It was perhaps the first time I've actually enjoyed having IEMs rather than feeling "they do a job". Clarity was so much better - I was able to significantly reduce both the bass in my personal mix and the overall IEM volume setting too, and consequently found myself getting a much better band mix as well as hearing my bass really well. 

I appreciate that's just my personal experience from one gig with the ZAR's, after many using ZS 10s, so feedback from the other recent purchasers on this thread, once they've had a chance to use them live also, will hopefully either confirm my comments, or give a more balanced picture.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

Al now I have to buy them too... :)

The thing for me with customs is really do you really get a better picture? How much better can it be? I mean, what can be better, sound, headroom, isolation?

What justify iem for 500 Euros and up?

Also, can you guys give me a pointer how to record something coming out of my iem to put on my video? Btw. I don't use Apple products, maybe Zoom and then y cable one to my iem, one to Zoom?

Please advise...  

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, gorandelac said:

Al now I have to buy them too... :)

The thing for me with customs is really do you really get a better picture? How much better can it be? I mean, what can be better, sound, headroom, isolation?

What justify iem for 500 Euros and up?

Also, can you guys give me a pointer how to record something coming out of my iem to put on my video? Btw. I don't use Apple products, maybe Zoom and then y cable one to my iem, one to Zoom?

Please advise...  

Thanks in advance

The main advantage will be the isolation. I know when I went from squishy foam ear protection to ACS custom moulds it was a night and day difference. I can only imaging the same will apply with custom moulded IEM’s not to mention that these will probably have better/more drivers than the non-custom type.

As to recording, it depends where your IEM signal is coming from. For example, on my X-Air XR18 desk I can monitor any aux out using the built-in headphone amp so it would be an easy stereo lead from the headphone out to computer to record the IEM mix. 

27 minutes ago, JPJ said:

The main advantage will be the isolation. I know when I went from squishy foam ear protection to ACS custom moulds it was a night and day difference. I can only imaging the same will apply with custom moulded IEM’s not to mention that these will probably have better/more drivers than the non-custom type.

As to recording, it depends where your IEM signal is coming from. For example, on my X-Air XR18 desk I can monitor any aux out using the built-in headphone amp so it would be an easy stereo lead from the headphone out to computer to record the IEM mix. 

Yea Forgot to mention, I use IEM simple, line into Rolls and cable to my IEM, I play with a bunch of different situation so this is for now the best option.

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

Just throwing it out there… have you noticed how angry people become when you suggest there’s an alternative to loud stages…?

And how angry IEM users get when others don't go with the suggestion they change what already works for them 😂

• Haha 2

because of my 80s duo, in effect a silent stage, I had a behringer 205 tiny monitor. This really helped my singing, as I could monitor at a lower level.

Then came the IEM which made it better again. They've made me a much better singer to the point that I would rather sing than play bass.

As i've carried the iem into bands I play with, it has improved my bass playing as I can actually hear what I'm playing, I hit the strings not so hard which makes my playing more dynamic, as I have somewhere to go if I need more volume. My bass sounds great in my ears, more inspiring to play.

I suppose that I am lucky, the KZ fitted my ears and gave me a good working system with the P2 all in under 100 quid.

I now use the MI-Pro 58 wireless kit, which works brilliantly and sounds fab and obviously is wireless.

All brought about by a tinnitus issue that I don't want to get worse. The information on this thread, with the input of you excellent Basschatters has changed my world and if I win the lottery, I'll send you a few sheckles

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Just throwing it out there… have you noticed how angry people become when you suggest there’s an alternative to loud stages…?

They're not angry, they're just shouting because they're deaf.

• Haha 8

22 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I don’t care - I already know I know best 😂

dinosaurs…

Yup my lot are dinosaurs. I have just got them on to Active Speakers but still have grumbles about no faders on the mixer. I would gladly put an axe through the Rythym Guitarist's Vox combo.

Saying that the drummer, also the oldest member of the band, would love to use over the ear headphones.