Jump to content
dmccombe7

Best Christmas Song

Recommended Posts

On 17/12/2019 at 18:51, dmccombe7 said:

I love all the Xmas hits we've had over the years and wondered what everyone's favourite song was for Xmas. 

I'll start with mine. Just makes me feel good every time i hear it.

 

He's on his way!!

 

image.thumb.png.7d24eeaf2d5cc7e58ff271d1cb7c27a5.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2019 at 19:25, ambient said:

This. I like the concept of anti-commercialism, and love the Prokofiev excerpt.

 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrCrane said:

Of the many things I love about Basschat, discovering great lines in tunes I otherwise probably wouldn't listen to  is high up the list. 

Thank you so much 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I thought I had posted this before but it has not appeared.  The lyrics were written by stand-up comedian Mark Lowry with music by Buddy Greene.  It gets me every time.

 

Love this song too. Never heard this version before, though. Kathy Mattea has got a great voice.

As it happens we’re doing this song this Sunday morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t believe no one has mentioned this gem yet....

Not a hit, admittedly but, along with Greg Lake, one of my favourite Christmas songs.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned this gem yet....

Not a hit, admittedly but, along with Greg Lake, one of my favourite Christmas songs.

 

Never heard that one before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Never heard that one before.

I got it as a single when it was first released in 1981 and it also turned up on the YesYears compilation as well as the Swiss Choir Christmas album (which I hadn't heard of till recently and would love to get a copy)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chris-Squires-Swiss-Choir-Squire/dp/B002Q9VPG6

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned this gem yet....

Not a hit, admittedly but, along with Greg Lake, one of my favourite Christmas songs.

 

I love this and got the 7” when it came out too! One of my faves. I bought the super delux reissue of CS’ Fish Out Of Water simply to get the original, pre-Swiss Choir version on CD.

PS the Swiss Choir version of Gaudete is pretty cool too...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Have to say that's turning out to be one of my favs this year. @Skinnyman Chris Squire's bass is as always perfect.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

 

Have to say that's turning out to be one of my favs this year. @Skinnyman Chris Squire's bass is as always perfect.

Isn't it? I love that run down he does to lead into the second verse.

Both he and Jon Anderson did Christmas albums. I've not heard Swiss Choir but I'm prepared to bet that it's the better of the two.....😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2019 at 18:51, dmccombe7 said:

I love all the Xmas hits we've had over the years and wondered what everyone's favourite song was for Xmas. 

I'll start with mine. Just makes me feel good every time i hear it.

 

My band did a cover of this. Hope you enjoy :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Higgie said:

My band did a cover of this. Hope you enjoy :)

 

 

Doesn't have that sad Xmas feel of the original but its a great funky version and exceptionally well done. Some nice VID touches with the band VID playing on the car media centre.

Loving the bass on your version. What were you using. ?

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Doesn't have that sad Xmas feel of the original but its a great funky version and exceptionally well done. Some nice VID touches with the band VID playing on the car media centre.

Loving the bass on your version. What were you using. ?

Dave

Yeah it was meant to be a bit more upbeat! 😂

Thanks mate! It was my Sadowsky into my REDDI. Youtube’s compression has actually made the audio suffer too, the original mastered track sounds much better!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Higgie said:

Yeah it was meant to be a bit more upbeat! 😂

Thanks mate! It was my Sadowsky into my REDDI. Youtube’s compression has actually made the audio suffer too, the original mastered track sounds much better!

To be honest i thought the production was pretty good and i'm using Sennheiser headphones. Bass sounded really nice in the mix. Job well done i reckon.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

To be honest i thought the production was pretty good and i'm using Sennheiser headphones. Bass sounded really nice in the mix. Job well done i reckon.

Dave

That's good to hear! Thanks pal :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...