Why become a member? ×

overdrive pedals, need your opinions

photographymatt

try them both out at a music shop, they are both very marmite pedals.

Some people hate the odb-3, mainly because they use it wrong (its best at low gain with the highs cut) but i think its great. But if your after 'insane' fuzz, i dont think either are suitable, perhaps consider a muff of some sort?

Bad Monkey sounds like a good bet to me - dirt cheap, and it's a tubescreamer on the inside. Or the BOSS SD-1. That's a tubescreamer too. Or the Ibanez TS7- they're pretty cheap.

But really, just go to a shop and try a few. Or buy whatever comes up here really cheap, and if you don't like it, sell it on.

thanks for everyones replys so far. Im looking for a OD that adds abit of grit, but not industrial distortion.

the ibanez has some great attack modes which give a very puccusive(right word?) sound that I like, but the boss is tried and tested and used on lots of albums.

in the band Ill use it with, I wouldnt need ott solo bass sound, but at home I would quite like to learn some of cliff(metallica) bass solos.

so confusing..and thank you to the posters who gave me yet more choices;-)

sorry i misread your post, i thought you were after something subtle [b]and[/b] insane. In that case, the bad monkey is great for adding some grit. The pd-7's modes were a cool idea, but they didnt pull if off for me, just [i]too[/i] clicky, reminded me of fieldy's "tone" :wacko:

i've got a bad monkey and i love it, at low settings its more of a boost than an od, and it can add a lovely tubey warmth, but gets quite dirty aswell. I've got one with bass repsonse mods, done by one of our members, silentfly, but ive never tried the stock model, so i'm not sure what the low end loss is like. Having owned an odb-3, the bad monkey is miles ahead in my opinion

A big +1 on the Bad monkey, i had a modded one but people seem to like the standard ones just as much. Mine sounded great on low to medium gain just enough to warm up my iAmp.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='385602' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:27 PM']The best one I ever used was the Owen Bass Gremlin - quite pricey new but pop up here from time to time around the £60 mark.

I just don't do pedals orI would still have it.[/quote]

+1 on that. I just sold mine for £60! Can email a couple of clips if you like.
It's more like two versions of one overdrive. There's the on/off and a filter switch, so potentially 2 different (footswitchable) overdrives. Works out at £30 a pedal!
Sold it cos i rarely get to use overdrive, plus i'm more of a muff man (matron!)

Also keep an eye out for the Danelectro Black Liquorice/Black Paisley pedals. Cheaply built and a bit noisy, but sound huge especially with the octave down switch! Got my Black Liquorice for £12 delivered off the dreaded ebay. No level control though, just Drive and Bass!

The EBS one is worth a shot too. A bit too restrained for my liking but might be what you're looking for

[quote name='steve-norris' post='385587' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:15 PM']A big +1 on the Bad monkey, i had a modded one but people seem to like the standard ones just as much. Mine sounded great on low to medium gain just enough to warm up my iAmp.[/quote]

Another +1 on the Bad Monkey.
Got mine a couple of weeks ago cheap from local Gumtree.
Funnily enough dug out the caps etc last night to do a simple bass mod, but to be honest it actually sounds alright stock. So I'm in two minds as to whether or not I should bother.
Good pedals though.

+1 to what Kev said about the PD7.

It's alright, the attack modes I pretty much leave off, it adds hiss as a well as picking up fret noise and making the highs much much harsher.

S'got a good range of sounds though thanks to the onboard 2eq though, it just doesn't grab me.

And avoid the Berhinger Tube Drive OD, the lower one of the 2 I own, it's not very good and far to hissy, although someone on here did buy the better one for the extra £15 and with the onboard filter and EQ it was quite a good pedal. Could be down to the Berhinger branded tube in it though, might replace it at some point for a proper branded one with lower gain. It goes from OD to full on crunchy distortion far too easily with the stock valve.

If you're going boutique, look into DHA pedals (check the subforum on here), his valve OD gets rave reviews.

[quote name='Toasted' post='387195' date='Jan 21 2009, 09:51 AM']Go to a shop, try all their pedals come back here and tell us what sounds good to your ears. We'll tell you what to buy ;)[/quote]

+1

If I had to vote for a single pedal I'd nominate the Bad Monkey, but I'd say this is probably the best advice overall.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='387921' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:46 PM']+ 1 on the ODB-3. It's a great pedal, now loss of low end at all, infact it ADDS it, and i think it is a very versatile and good sounding overdrive unit. AND THEYRE DIRT CHEAP!!!![/quote]
second hand yes. Much as i like them, their 'new' price is not something i would want to pay