Why become a member? ×

Good or Bad time to sell on eBay ?

BigBeatNut

I've got an instrument to sell on eBay (guitar as it happens, not bass) ... is this a good time of year to sell ?

Have a feeling it might not be because everyone has spent loads at Xmas ... not to mention the recession / credit crunch.

Instincts tell me not to sell right now, but this this has been taking up space in my flat for too long (and it doesn't get used) so I'm in a dilemma.

Andy

I sold my Stingray on ebay last weekend. Put the listing up on Saturday at 2pm and it sold at 4.30! ;)

I put it on for a 5-day auction with a reserve price but also put on a BIN. Someone snapped it up at the BIN price.

I think you just have to price yourself 'in' the market right now as opposed to hanging onto the price that you wanted to get, say, 6 months ago. There were 3 other Stingrays on ebay when I listed mine and they were all over-priced IMO. They were also pricier compared to what people have been listing them for here on BC. So I pitched it just underneath with the BIN price.

Anyway, there is hope out there!

What are looking to sell?

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='384080' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:42 PM']What are looking to sell?[/quote]
Ibanez Performer PF100 Guitar. '78. Very good nick, because it's hardly been played. 1 owner from new.

I had been told it's collectable, with a potential value of 350-450. But based on the very few listings I've seen (UK and US), and the money I've wasted in eBay fees listing it with reserve set accordingly ... I doubt that's true.

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='384112' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:16 PM']Ibanez Performer PF100 Guitar. '78. Very good nick, because it's hardly been played. 1 owner from new.

I had been told it's collectable, with a potential value of 350-450. But based on the very few listings I've seen (UK and US), and the money I've wasted in eBay fees listing it with reserve set accordingly ... I doubt that's true.[/quote]

I'd suggest doing a bit more research to determine the current value - the PF100 was the base model in the Performer range. If it was one of the higher models - try finding a PF1000! - you'd get a nice price, but the likes of the PF100, 200, 230, 300, 350 and 400 are much more common, and come up quite frequently. Realistically, you're looking at circa £300 if it's in excellent condition. One point, it looks like the strap buttons aren't original - they should be "V" shaped - the sort of thing that a collector would certainly be looking for.

The last PF100 I saw went for £260 - August 08.

If you haven't already been, go to [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php"]http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php[/url] - post some pics of your guitar & ask what they think, value-wise. Most of the guys on there are from the States, and while US prices for vintage Ibs tend to be lower than EU, bear in mind the current Septic-friendly exchange rate! ;) You might even find somebody on there who'll make you an offer, but if not & you end up Baying it, be prepared to post overseas if you want the best price.

These are strange times as far as the used/vintage guitar market's concerned - plenty of people hoping for recession bargains, prices are definitely down on high-end stuff, midrange such as yours is holding its own, and low-end stuff seems to be selling better - possibly because people have less GAS money so they just set their sights lower, rather than buying nothing at all.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='384190' date='Jan 18 2009, 05:38 PM']If you haven't already been, go to [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php"]http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php[/url][/quote]
Thanks, I'll check it out.

[quote name='noelk27' post='384136' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:48 PM']One point, it looks like the strap buttons aren't original - they should be "V" shaped - the sort of thing that a collector would certainly be looking for.[/quote]
The strap pegs are 100% definite original. I bought it from new and modified nothing (except for getting a setup/fret-stoning done soon after I bought it). Have catalog gifs (and probably an original catalog somewhere) too ... there's nothing changed.

[quote name='noelk27' post='384136' date='Jan 18 2009, 04:48 PM']The last PF100 I saw went for £260 - August 08.[/quote]
That's a higher price than I remember seeing ... thank you, my attention must have slipped.

Be aware that if you receive payment via paypal unless you meet certain seller criteria they may hang on to your funds for 21 days or until feedback is received, with the bass pod i recently i was lucky and the buyer left feedback quickly, just something to be aware of especially if your sending abroad which would mean large shipping costs without being able to to access your payment!

You may want to sneak the words 'Les Paul style' into the title and body of your sale. Your Ibanez should appeal to anyone who wants the LP tone without the Gibson premium. It does give a sound in that kind of ballpark? Mention it's high gain blues tone etc. in your description, if you haven't already.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='384016' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:43 PM']....I've got an instrument to sell on eBay (guitar as it happens, not bass) ... is this a good time of year to sell ?....[/quote]
In a good year I wouldn't try to sell anything until March-April. You need to get punters when they've got over Christmas, got through winter and before they start to think about their holidays. In 2009, who knows. Can you wait until next year?

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='384016' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:43 PM']I've got an instrument to sell on eBay (guitar as it happens, not bass) ... is this a good time of year to sell ?[/quote]

Some general advice. I feel like rambling today......

Know what your instrument will fetch on eBay before you advertise it. It could take a while if it's an uncommon instrument, but if you don't know what your item is likely to fetch before you put it up for sale, you won't know how to market it properly. Follow a few auctions for similar items to find out how many bidders they attract. Items that attract lots of bidders are much better with a very low start price, as this will pull more people into the auction. Note also which ads get the highest prices, and figure out why. The spread of prices achieved for identical items can be enormous - you want to make sure you are somewhere near the top.

If you are going to use a reserve, state it - or start off at the lowest price you are willing to accept. Hidden reserves put most people off, and are likely to lose you some serious potential buyers. As a buyer, I love hidden reserves. I email the seller to ask what the reserve is. Then I follow the auction and snipe just above the reserve. It works most times, because sellers generally fix the reserve at the absolute minimum they will accept, which is usually much less than the item's real value.

Offer to sell to Europe (and the US if applicable). When you do this, you increase the number of bidders many times over - and the number of people bidding on your item is key to driving its price up. Bear in mind also that the euro is now worth about twenty-five percent more than it was six months ago. Euro zone customers are therefore likely to pay more for your item, or at least push its price up higher.

Paypal is the devil incarnate. Don't give them access to your bank account. Limit them to your credit card.

If you are selling a bass, sell it on Basschat. As you already know its value, knock 10 percent off for Basschatters. You end up just as well off because eBay and Paypal don't take their cut. You can wheel and deal if you wish. And your buyer gets a good deal.

I've stopped putting any of my gear on e-bay.
I sold a bass on there last year and once the fees were taken off as well as other payments, i was left with a bit of a chunk out of the price missing!
I sell all of my stuff on here now or on gumtree.
It may take a little longer, but i'm rarely in a real hurry to sell stuff.
Whilst on the subject, as soon as i can be bothered to take my camera out of it's holder, i'll be flogging my ashdown gear (see below)
(I know i'm Cheeky - controversial wrong thread discussion expected!!)
;) :P

[quote name='bluesparky' post='384829' date='Jan 19 2009, 11:48 AM']I sell all of my stuff on here now or on gumtree.
It may take a little longer, but i'm rarely in a real hurry to sell stuff.[/quote]

I've found that, if you price competitively, it's much faster selling on here than anywhere - my record is about five minutes and I'm not a big gear seller.

The expensive stuff takes longer, obviously, but the key is knowing what your stuff is worth and giving your buyer a bargain. Asking for offers, saying 'I'm not sure what this is worth', is just limp-wristed. On some other comparable lists, people are not even allowed to advertise unless they state a price.

[quote name='stevie' post='385025' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:05 PM'][url="http://www.paypalsucks.com/"]http://www.paypalsucks.com/[/url]

Says it better than I can.[/quote]
Well ... I know the charges are a pain. Seems most of the issues that site raises, though, are about what happens when you're a seller who accepts payment by paypal ... and then there's an ebay dispute.

Have you ever experienced these problems ?

Slightly worrying is the link at the bottom of each forum entry "CLICK HERE FOR [i][u][b]OUR[/b][/u][/i] PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE" which links to a paypal competitor. If I was uncharitable I might conclude that the whole thing has been set up by the competitor to try and defame paypal.

Will look into it some more.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='385438' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:36 PM']Slightly worrying is the link at the bottom of each forum entry "CLICK HERE FOR [i][u][b]OUR[/b][/u][/i] PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE" which links to a paypal competitor. If I was uncharitable I might conclude that the whole thing has been set up by the competitor to try and defame paypal.[/quote]

Also slightly worrying is the fact that when I click on 'Former Paypal Employee #1 clears his conscience & offers help' I get a message from Opera that reads:

'The page you are trying to open has been reported as fraudulent. It will likely attempt to trick you into sharing personal or financial information. Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page.'

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='385438' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:36 PM']Slightly worrying is the link at the bottom of each forum entry "CLICK HERE FOR [i][u][b]OUR[/b][/u][/i] PAYPAL ALTERNATIVE" which links to a paypal competitor. If I was uncharitable I might conclude that the whole thing has been set up by the competitor to try and defame paypal.[/quote]
[url="http://etbe.coker.com.au/2007/05/28/paypal-are-they-trustworthy-now/"]LINK TO MORE INFO[/url]

Nothing is ever black and white, is it ?

[quote name='cytania' post='384695' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:25 AM']You may want to sneak the words 'Les Paul style' into the title and body of your sale. Your Ibanez should appeal to anyone who wants the LP tone without the Gibson premium. It does give a sound in that kind of ballpark? Mention it's high gain blues tone etc. in your description, if you haven't already.[/quote]
I'd avoid doing that if I were you, for a few reasons. It's not a Les Paul; that's a trademark and Ebay can bust you & pull your auction for keyword spamming. People searching for Gibsons will not want this coming up in their searches, so they'll report you. Most importantly, this is a collectable vintage Ibanez - and there are lots of people specifically looking for these, either as collectors, or, surprisingly enough, as future investments.

Use searchable keywords in your title like vintage, Japan, MIJ, 70s, Ibanez - these are the terms people looking for guitars like yours will be using, plug the fact you've owned it since new & it's unmodified - and take lots of good, clear, in-focus pictures. I'd recommend using the picture pack or large images option - it costs a quid or so but it's worth it.

If it was mine (note this is something I don't advise anyone else to do - for my own protection ;)) it would start at 99p, no reserve. It would find its level.

J.