Why become a member? ×

Bakithi Khumalo on Graceland

molan

I'm not a huge Paul Simon fan but have the Classic Album series on repeat record on Sky and thought I'd watch the Graceland episode to see if Bakithi was featured at all.

He wasn't on that much but it was quite interesting to watch anyway.

Not least for the fact that they explained the 'famous' bass solo was recorded in two parts. First section is played normally & then they reversed it on tap to make the second part!

Is there truth in the rumour that it was Bakithi's birthday on the day of the recording of "you can call me Al" and Paul said he could have a blatant solo / fill in the song as a treat, hence the slapped fill?
Or is it just an urban myth, either way it has fuelled many pub discussions...

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='bluesparky' post='384851' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:08 PM']Is there truth in the rumour that it was Bakithi's birthday on the day of the recording of "you can call me Al" and Paul said he could have a blatant solo / fill in the song as a treat, hence the slapped fill?
Or is it just an urban myth, either way it has fuelled many pub discussions...[/quote]

They said the story was true on the documentary ;)

Despite his obvious talent, I thought Paul Simon came across as being a bit of a D*ck on the documentary. I wanted to like him but I couldn't.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='384854' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:11 PM']They said the story was true on the documentary ;)

Despite his obvious talent, I thought Paul Simon came across as being a bit of a D*ck on the documentary. I wanted to like him but I couldn't.[/quote]

I can't put my finger on it but he annoys me as well - could that horrible whining voice he has. . .

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='384898' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:51 PM']Is it because he's done things to Princess Leia that we can only dream of?[/quote]

That's definitely part of the problem. Damn him and Jabba the Hutt!!

I think it's because he constantly said how great he was and what a wonderful job he'd done. To be fair, he had done a wonderful job, but I always thought it was better to let other people say it rather than say it yourself.

If I were him, all I'd have said "Here's my album. It's one of the best selling albums of all time. Oh, and by the way, while it was being made, I was f*cking Princess Leia and she was wearing her metal bikini".

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Bakithi Khumalo played Graceland on a tatty old Washburn and now he's now playing a very expensive and exclusive Ken Lawrence C-Brase !

[url="http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/islawrence5.html"]http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/islawrence5.html[/url]

I am a huge Paul Simon fan and I think Graceland is one of the best albums ever...the basslines had a big impact on me and I still feel that everytime I play.
Just recently I noticed how many times Paul sings out of key during live gigs..It was also a bit painful when I saw him on "Later with Jools..." during the piano chat.
He seemed to have some mental problems, looked depressed and he refused to watch the old footage of himself. He doesn't seem to be very happy.
I still think he is one of the best singer songwriters ever...his lyrics really move me and there are too many excellent examples to quote.

Graceland is the only Paul Simon album I own. To be honest I bought it because I loved 'You Can Call Me All' - I'd never heard any of the other songs before buying it. It's now one of my fave albums of all time. Love 'Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes'.

I think I've seen the show you're talking about, but it was years ago. If I recall Mr Simon said something along the lines that it was his best album and Graceland was his best song (except for the 'ghosts and empty sockets' line which he thought was too muddled)... Have to say I can't argue with the guy being so up himself. He's Paul Simon FFS!

BTW Have you seen Princess Leia lately... I wouldn't touch her with yours...

Edited by Bigwan

We are only 80 odd years into being abe to listen to recorded music, in one way or another.
In that time, we have witnessed the Big Bang of Popular Music, in the Millenia to come, Paul Simon will be there, along side.........

(add your favourite artist). ;)
BTW, Paul Simon is not my favourite song writer.

[quote name='chris_b' post='384588' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:51 AM'].... and when they toured the record he couldn't play it, so had to play something else instead![/quote]
He played something very similar to it. And evidently Paul Simon recognised how well that little bit went down with the audience, as he got him to play it a second time. At least he did at the NEC, 22 years ago.