Why become a member? ×

A sticky, bass and family related situation

neepheid

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Basically I asked my brother to bring a bass up from Manchester for me which I had bought off a BCer there. He was coming up for Christmas anyway so I figured that I would save a bit of money on courier costs.

That fell through because my brother kept it at his work locked in a cupboard instead of traipsing it all the way home (it was boxed up, no bag). Unfortunately when he went to get it before getting his train up the road he found that the boss had gone home for Xmas and had taken the key with him. Oh well.

He said that he told his boss what had happened and the guy was sorry and was willing to pay for it to be shipped up, seeing as it was his mistake and all that. Fair dos.

Anyway, New Year comes and goes and my brother surfaces and says that he's sorting out the courier. I give him my work address because I always get stuff of value/large size sent there. He texts me last Thursday to say that DHL were picking it up from his work the next day (Friday 9th) and that he would text me the tracking reference.

Fast forward to Tuesday 13th. No sign of bass or text from my brother. I politely ask him by text if he's got that tracking number. No answer. On Thursday 15th I text him again for an update - nothing. I tried phoning him on Thursday night - no answer. I tried phoning him on Friday 16th - no answer, left a voicemail. My wife has texted him asking what's going on and left him a message on his Facebook. I've let the rest of my family know what's going on in case he speaks to any of them.

I don't know what to do. He's my brother, so surely he can't have done the dirty on me? But if he's got nothing to hide then why avoid/ignore me? He smokes, you can't tell me he hasn't had an opportunity during a fag break to text me to at least update me?

If he's sold it or pawned it - I may never speak to him again. If it's lost somewhere in DHL land then I'll apologise, but why the delay in getting me the info I need to chase it up? If it got stolen from his work or something then why not phone me right away - it's what any normal person would do, isn't it?

My mind is whirring with possibilities, some less pleasant than others. This is what happens when you get left in the dark.

If I have to organise a BC posse to go round his work then I will ask, but I hope it doesn't have to come to this.

It's not worth much, but he wouldn't know that.

Of course it's a possibility that he's in some sort of bother, which I hope is not the case - hence putting the feelers out around the family. I have asked him if he's OK, and that if he's in some sort of bother suggested that it would be better to get in touch.

Oh dear, his mobile's now appears to be cut off. Looks like he's in bother ;)

He's probably stuck his head in the sand in response. I wish he could just talk about stuff instead of hiding away, or pretending everything is OK, making people think he's up to no good. Now I feel a bit bad for getting angry with him.

I think I'll have to try and contact him via his work, make sure he's OK. Damn it.

I would think it incredibly unlikely that someone would screw their brother for a bass.

Personally I sometimes get into an uncommunicative mode if I'm meant to have done something and not got around to it. Just embarrassment, and me thinking that I'll get it done tomorrow (yeah, right), and it'll be less embarrassing to speak once the overdue job/whatever is done. If your brother is like me, it could be something as simple as that.

"Never attribute to malice that which can equally be explained by stupidity". Or in this case, maybe that should be "procrastination" rather than "stupidity".

Edit: I should have read all the replies before replying. I see that you're thinking "head in the sand" as of your last post here.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='neepheid' post='384860' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:15 PM']Oh dear, his mobile's now appears to be cut off. Looks like he's in bother ;)

He's probably stuck his head in the sand in response. I wish he could just talk about stuff instead of hiding away, or pretending everything is OK, making people think he's up to no good. Now I feel a bit bad for getting angry with him.[/quote]

damn, this is exactly what I've been going through with an old, old friend; you hear nothing so you go through all the possibilities including that he's ripped you off and then feeling bad for feeling angry at someone that's in trouble.

Hope he's ok and you get the bass.

I once interviewed a bloke in the cells who had just been sentenced to 6 months prison. He hadn't told his wife he was in Court. So I had to ring her and tell her! Laugh a minute!

Could be all sorts, mate. Doesn't anyone live near enough to him to visit and check him out? Maybe he's at home and a large wardrobe has fallen on him and he can't get it off so he can't get to the phone. He is slowly starving to death whilst you and your kin dither about. Or he could have nicked your bass and joined a Country and Western band and be on tour?

He has broken cover, it's being sent apparently, but he's pretty angry due to some rather forthright messages my wife left on his Facebook. He gave an explanation but frankly I don't want to go into it, it's messy family crap which'll have to be cleaned up at some point. Gah, families - never involve them in business, it ends up being worse than any bad eBay transaction. This situation keeps getting better and better - if the bass arrives it'll probably be in three bits ;)

On the bright side he's not dead, nor seemingly in danger/trouble. I had better bite my tongue and see if the bass turns up next week.

[quote name='neepheid' post='388305' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:42 AM']I've sold one bass this year already! ;)[/quote]

And very nice it is too! I on the other hand have made an offer for my 4th new one since Christmas this week. Can't go on like this.....

I hope your current situation all comes good in the end mate.

Edited by Gamble