AinsleyWalker

Ampeg Portaflex series - opinions?

I've currently got both the PF500 and the PF50t heads, the later being especially great. I prefer Orange these days as a personal choice but I had a lot of fun for years with them. The 4x10 cab was especially great but I also used to own a 2x10 and 1x15 Portaflex cabs. Not quite SVT but certainly 100% Ampeg and I usually got favourable comments on my tone. I moved to Orange as it suited the bands I was in better but the Ampeg stuff was perfect for my old bands. Always reliable too.

• Like 1

I have the PF50T. I got it for a bit of fun but it’s working really well with my Barefaced Midget as a gigging setup in my country band. It seems to work better with the Midget than with my Super Twin - punchier I’d say.

I’ve never owned or tried the PF500 but I had the SVT3-Pro for a while and the PF50T is much more enjoyable to play through. It gets a bit ‘furry’ when pushed but never sounds strained.

I have a One 10 on order so I’m looking forward to hearing how the PF50T pairs with it.

If you’re gigging you’ll need something to carry it around in as there are no handles on it! @Cat Burrito put me onto a suitable carry bag.

• Like 1

I had a PF500 that was great, really nice recorded sound from the onboard DI as well as sounding great live. I believe the earlier issues with these are long gone now.

• Like 1

I have a PF500 as my backup amp that every so often becomes my gigging amp.  What can I say, a good little amp has proved solid and reliable for the 2 possibly 3 years that I have owned it (bought pre-loved) so had some use in its life.

• Like 1

I have the PF500 as my main gigging head running through a Barefaced Two10 and it sounds fantastic. Really lovely tones. Bought it secondhand for £160 and it's been great. 

• Like 1

I ran a PF500 for about 8/9 years, so it was an early production model. It did loads of practices and gigs and never let me down. Really solid bit of kit and sounds great. Got loads of compliments on my tone with that head. Only moved it on because it had been 9 years and I wanted to see what else was out there.

• Like 1

I saw pics of Jon Button, the current touring Who bassist, using his PF50T with them at the Hollywood Bowl.  I'm enjoying mine for much more humble gigs, but it's cool to see that it can do the job in that kind of setting.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Daniels102
      Hi Guys,

First time post here so i hope i'm not doing anything wrong!

In terms of background i've played both guitar and bass for over 10 years but consider myself more of a guitarist, i have only played solid state amps for bass.

I've just got a good price on an Ampeg SVT VR - an amp i've always wanted to use and pretty much what i consider to be the gold standard for bass tone.

Now the reason for this is i'm soon going to be opening a studio in my garden. This will be purpose built and the plan is to spend enough to make it airtight and well soundproofed. Depending on the result i may rent it out for rehearsals (our town is awful for practice spaces) but in the event it isnt as quiet as id like i will just use it as a studio for recording purposes.

Now my question is: what cabinet for my SVT will be best to achieve a great sound that people would expect to get on a high quality recording? I'm assuming an 810 will be completely ridiculous and far too loud for a recording situation (as well as pissing off my neighbours).
      Bear in mind i intend the soundproofing to work well and i will be doing a proper job (lots of sealing, lots of mass, 2 walls etc) and it will cost me thousands. But even so would 210av be a good option? Maybe a 410? I have all but ruled out an 810 but as i've never played through one i really have no idea what to expect volume wise.
      In terms of recording i plan to use a mix of DI but offer the ampeg as the main amp sound in the studio.
      Will the non master volume mean it will need to be even louder than a CL? Would i be better off getting a V4? I got what i consider to be a good price on the VR so i could sell it if it doesnt work out and not be too put out.

Apologies for the vagueness of the post but i was interersted in peoples thoughts. FYI the studio will be 2 rooms (live and control) around 3 m x 4m in size.

dan
    • By stewblack
      EDIT : PRICE Drop 750 pounds sterling 
      Just realised that no one has bought this, trying to raise funds for a Handbox amp before imports become illegal and the pound is worthless so crack on and buy now please 

With a heavy heart I have accepted that as I get older and weaker this amp remains the same weight. 
      So here's your opportunity to own what my tech describes as The Ferrari Of Bass Amps. 
      I mention my tech because he just completed a thorough service including replacing a set of three power valves. I have paperwork detailing all his hard work. 
      So why sell when I just spent well north of 200 quid getting her in shape? Like I said, old age and a bad back. Also I figure this is as saleable as it can be right now. 
      Nothing sounds close to this amp. Nothing. It isn't even a sound as such  it's  more of an experience. My singer summed it up best by saying it was like hot bass sauce had be squeezed over and throughout the room. Never too loud, always everywhere. 
      I can't believe I'm selling it really, but at least I can say I owned one. 
      Couple of scuffs to the tolex which I've pictured but it's what is inside that matters. 
      Price includes me driving to meet you. Won't say I'll drive anywhere but I'm up for going a fair old way. 

• By Duroc17
      Also available Ampeg pf50t with pf210 cab that it goes in - £800 - sorry cant ship this as valves etc and it's about 25kg all in - but welcome to come try it in studio in Preston North west
      Prefer cash on collection from Clitheroe or Preston - can drive within an hour

• By silverfoxnik
      ** Now SOLD **
      Hi Folks
      Very reluctantly, I am putting my Ampeg Classic Series all valve bass rig up for sale, which consists of:
      V4BH - 100 watt all valve bass amp. 
      Bought off @Beedster in 2015, this bass amp is simply the best sounding bass amp I've ever owned. 
      The good stuff about it - 
      It sounds superb whatever music I've played through it, from old-skool Motown thump to 70s rock & 80s funk, right through that there indie 90s clank to Foo Fighters style stadium rock. 
      It works in pretty much any musical situation, is so, so simple to use, isn't too heavy as valve amps go IMO (40lbs), and of course, it totally looks the part. 
      At my weekend-warrior level of gigging (pubs, small clubs, functions etc), this amp pumps out 100 watts and easily fills a room with rich, warm low end bass tone!
      The not so good stuff -
      a) When I bought it from Chris, the Gain control shaft had already been broken off, something I should have had fixed straight away but I didn't because I was too busy using it at the time...  As you can see in the pictures below , my very crude fix has allowed me to continue utilising the Gain control, which enables some very nice preamp stage valve distortion when dialled in.. Obviously it would be better if the gain control was fixed, but as it is, the amp is perfectly useable. 
      b) The amp hasn't had a service since I bought it. At the moment, that's not a problem as I've not used it too much over the last four years, but it would undoubtedly benefit from a proper once-over by a qualified tech. 
      Having said all of that, the amp is working really well and it comes with the fitted cover with proper Ampeg logo!
      To buy the equivalent Ampeg head now, including the cover, you'd be looking at around £900 new. But because of these two issues stated above, I have priced the amp accordingly, so I'm looking for £SOLD or near offer. 
      (NB: I've attached the manuals for the amp and the two cabs which have all the requisite technical information...)
      Ampeg Classic Series SVT-15e bass cab (8 ohms) 
      This came with the amp when I bought it in 2015 from Chris. It's in good condition and has the really nice Ampeg cover to go with it.. 
      Not only does the cab match the amp perfectly (see photos) but sound wise, the cab is great paired with the V4BH - I've tried it with P basses, Jazz Basses, Thunderbirds, 5 string basses etc.. You name it, it sounds great in an old skool kind of way. .
      Around £425-£500 new. I'm looking for £SOLD or near offer for the cab & cover. 
      Ampeg Classic series SVT-210HE bass cab (8 ohms) 
      This is a great 210 cab and on its own, 
      works nicely enough with the head. Like the 115, it sounds really good with every bass I've tried it with. Everything's working as it should, including the Tweeter, but no cover with this one I'm afraid. 
      It's difficult to find a comparative price for this online now - nearest would be the neo version at well over £600 - but I'm looking for £SOLD or near offer for this cab. 
      Full Rig - It has to be said that, when you put the 210 together with the 115, the whole rig just goes to another level! 😁
      That's when you get the full 100 (valve) watts of power, with the thump and low mids coming from the 115, and the definition and faster attack of the 10" drivers which are better for reproducing more percussive styles of playing... It just makes a fantastic noise!! 
      Price - Ideally, I'd like to sell this as one complete rig, and for that I'm looking for £SOLD or very near offer.  
      But if that isn't possible then I'll entertain offers for the individual items, which all together come to over £800.
      Collection /meet ups - The rig is too heavy and too big to post so it's collection only from Littlehampton, West Sussex I'm afraid, but at least then you get a chance to try it out in person whilst being showered with tea/coffee /biscuits.. 😊
      If absolutely necessary, I would be prepared to drive up to 50 miles (for a few extra sheckles) to meet up if getting to Littlehampton isn't possible for you.. 
      Just to clarify;
      1. the Xotic bass in the pictures isn't up for sale, it's there just to provide a sense of size and scale.
      2. As stated above, this is a very reluctant sale so I reserve the right to change my mind. 
      3. Also advertised elsewhere. 
      Any questions, please ask away here or by PM. And I have loads more pictures too if required.. 
      Thanks for looking as ever.. 😊
      Cheers 
      Nik 

V4BH (1).pdf SVT210HE_SVT15E (2).pdf
    • By razzthekid88
      Reluctantly selling my pride and joy bass rig but sadly just can't justify it as I'm more focussed on other instruments and not actively playing bass in bands as much as I used to.

Ampeg SVT-VR with wheeled flightcase
      USA Made - not Vietnam. Been gigged well since I've had it but still in good condition and sounds amazing. In my opinion the best sounding amp I've ever played through.
      Comes with a heavy duty flight case customised with heavy duty trolley-style casters which makes transportation much easier. Can post photos of this if required.
      £1000

Bergantino NV610
      This is an unbelievable cabinet, hard to beat it in my opinion. It performs well in every scenario with a clarity and punch that I haven't heard anywhere else. I've found this cab to be easier to transport than the Ampeg 610 cab and sounds as big as the matching 810 VR cab the head was originally purchased with but in a smaller, more manageable frame.
      Comes with padded leather cover.
      £750

Ready to collect or shipping can be agreed with buyer at buyers cost. I would be willing to discuss transporting personally in Scotland.

Would ideally like to sell together but open to reasonable offers. No trades please.

Thanks!