AinsleyWalker

Ampeg Portaflex series - opinions?

I've currently got both the PF500 and the PF50t heads, the later being especially great. I prefer Orange these days as a personal choice but I had a lot of fun for years with them. The 4x10 cab was especially great but I also used to own a 2x10 and 1x15 Portaflex cabs. Not quite SVT but certainly 100% Ampeg and I usually got favourable comments on my tone. I moved to Orange as it suited the bands I was in better but the Ampeg stuff was perfect for my old bands. Always reliable too.

• Like 1

I have the PF50T. I got it for a bit of fun but it’s working really well with my Barefaced Midget as a gigging setup in my country band. It seems to work better with the Midget than with my Super Twin - punchier I’d say.

I’ve never owned or tried the PF500 but I had the SVT3-Pro for a while and the PF50T is much more enjoyable to play through. It gets a bit ‘furry’ when pushed but never sounds strained.

I have a One 10 on order so I’m looking forward to hearing how the PF50T pairs with it.

If you’re gigging you’ll need something to carry it around in as there are no handles on it! @Cat Burrito put me onto a suitable carry bag.

• Like 1

I had a PF500 that was great, really nice recorded sound from the onboard DI as well as sounding great live. I believe the earlier issues with these are long gone now.

• Like 1

I have a PF500 as my backup amp that every so often becomes my gigging amp.  What can I say, a good little amp has proved solid and reliable for the 2 possibly 3 years that I have owned it (bought pre-loved) so had some use in its life.

• Like 1

I have the PF500 as my main gigging head running through a Barefaced Two10 and it sounds fantastic. Really lovely tones. Bought it secondhand for £160 and it's been great. 

• Like 1

I ran a PF500 for about 8/9 years, so it was an early production model. It did loads of practices and gigs and never let me down. Really solid bit of kit and sounds great. Got loads of compliments on my tone with that head. Only moved it on because it had been 9 years and I wanted to see what else was out there.

• Like 1

I saw pics of Jon Button, the current touring Who bassist, using his PF50T with them at the Hollywood Bowl.  I'm enjoying mine for much more humble gigs, but it's cool to see that it can do the job in that kind of setting.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By livingbasshead
      Ampeg Flip Top Portaflex Range. 2 x 10” and 1 x 15” cabs. 400w each.
      The 115 has a broken handle, and a couple of scuffs (shown). The 210 has a broken wheel socket (I have the wheels)
      Portable but packs a punch, sound great together at 400w at 8 ohms each.
      Any Portaflex range head can be attached to the flip top lids
      Open to offers, can separate but would rather sell as a pair (price is for the pair). Includes one cover. 

• By OriginalGBass
      NOW £650!

For Sale or Trade for 2x 1x15 or 2x 2x10 cabs or one 2x15 cab, Markbass preferable but not essential. Price includes delivery within 50miles of Leeds area, or collection no posting.
      Used for touring this summer in Europe, which is now over. I am back to smaller venues and this is a bit overkill for smaller ones, and i'd like the option to have a more modular setup for this ie. two cabs that can be used in isolation or combined, this seems logical moving forward.
      As with all my gear this has been very well looked after and is in very good condition, comes complete with a custom Roksolid padded cover that I had made for it. 
      A truly fantastic sounding cab, if you've tried a markbass 4x10 imagine two of those! superb frequency response, no lost mids like the Ampeg equivalent. Aside from a great sound reproduction this 8x10 has the cool vintage looks most want in a cab like this, it really is a looker, but at an incredible 40kg.
      Easily fits in the back of my VW Golf with room to spare in length being a compact size at 116cm in length, and no assistance required. Very manoeuvrable due to the light weight, solid casters on the rear with pull bar. I have added a black aluminium kick plate to the rear of the cab offering greater protection to this area.
      Tolex is spot on throughout, no tearing.
      Bought for £1069 and still under MB warranty, Priced to sell at 700 all in, any trial welcomed.

Website info:http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/classic-108/
      IMPEDANCE
      4 ohms
      SPEAKER SIZE
      8x10 in.
      BASS PORTS
      sealed /none
      TWEETER
      1" compression driver with custom horn
      POWER HANDLING
      1600W RMS (AES Standard)
      CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
      3.5 kHz
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE
      54 Hz to 20 kHz
      SENSITIVITY
      103 dB SPL
      WEIGHT
      89.95 lbs / 40.8 kg
      WIDTH
      23.03" / 58.5 cm
      HEIGHT
      45.63" / 115.9 cm
      DEPTH
      18.78" / 47.7 cm

• By Duroc17
      DeArmond Starfire bass by Guild from 99 (Korean) with original gold foil pups - recently set up with heavy gauge bass Jamerson style flats for great thumpy tone - just recorded with it, very smooth tone. Has real solid build for semi - not like some that feel like a toy - fret wear good, neck good, intonation great. Solid build for a semi, new jack hole in front. No real blemishes for age - couple of small surface scratches - comes with non original hard case - feel free to ask questions
      Also available Ampeg pf50t with pf210 cab that it goes in - £800 - sorry cant ship this as valves etc and it's about 25kg all in - but welcome to come try it in studio in Preston North west
      Prefer cash on collection from Clitheroe or Preston - can drive within an hour of both

• By itsmedunc
      May px trade. Decided to go back  to a stack and keep well away from being the PA guy. Will trade - Orange, Ampeg cabs and heads. Try me with anything though. You never know.
      As above. In tip top condition. Around 2 years old and only used lightly around 12 times. I'm sure it needs no introductions on here. I believe they are now discontinued. So, will become a rare commodity. I won't shift on the price.
      Great as FRFR's and also PA cabs, monitors etc. Truly versatile cabs.
      Willing to post (as I have the original packaging) at buyers cost and risk or meet up within reason. I'd rather it was picked up from my home though so the buyer is 100% satisfied with it. Cash, bank transfer but no PayPal please.