Soledad

PJB user views and advice please

The summary bit: might want a 47 or a C4, want advice re how they sound and what they can do. Anyone vaguely local let me have a play through either... that would be festive ;)
And I've placed a wanted on here in case anyone is moving one maybe.

SO

Interested in the use of clusters of smaller drivers. I want to create a small rig to replace a very good 210 combo (quite big, heavy). Main uses would be home, acoustic and lower level groups/collectives (the word band doesn't fit here really). So my basses with electro-acoustic guitars and various hippysh*t. I'd prefer a cab and head for flexibility, swap one out later if I want.
Plenty of decent class Ds around and I'd usually run through a Sansamp anyway.
SOUND - not looking for big volumes or massive bottom end of course, more a wide-band quite hi-fi purity. Fretless would feature quite a bit and that is all about the mids (and the flexibility to shape them). The fretted Jazz and P run EB flats, finger and occasionally pick. Again enough bottom end but good mids and moderate top (3-5k say). I'm wary of rear porting but will keep an open mind.

The PJB UK distributor is quite near me but I suspect they are just box shifters (I may try and contact them - Selectron in Sittingbourne). Apart from that Bass Direct is miles away and I can't find a dealer with stock more locally.

Thanking you all kindly.

I have two C4s and two 4Bs. I use them in varying quantities depending on how much noise I need to make. You do need several of the 5" driver cabs to shift air and produce real volume. The ones with 7" drivers, such as the CAB 47, have quite a bit more weight to the sound. I prefer the 5s slightly, but as I don't like tweeters for bass (the 47 has one), that's not really a surprise. The 7s are pretty fine, too. PJB cabs with 7s are cheaper, too, so you get more bang for your buck. Really, you need to find a dealer and try them side by side.

• Like 1

BTW, if you're ever due to be in North London, you'd be welcome to drop by and try them. Let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks @Dan Dare - That's 2 PJB users told me they prefer the 5s, and given their extended high-mid/low top I'd be happy without a tweeter - I find them a bit forward and aggressive normally.
GuitarGuitar have an end-of-line 6B at a silly price at the mo but it's just a bit too big and also relatively weighty (about 22Kg I think). Lot of cab for £350 though.
Can anyone tell me the differences between a 4B and a 4C?

I'm aiming for a small light 2nd rig for acoustic/ electro-acoustic stuff so a 4C and micro head would be ideal I think - playing fretless almost entirely. And I prefer the flexibility of a head and cab, some small class Ds are almost pocket-size and I use a Sansamp for shaping mainly, don't need lots of EQ in the head.

and thanks for the offer, it would be very sensible to try them - where N London approx?

Edited by Soledad