Why become a member? ×

Heads Up - dirt cheap La Bella Deep Talkers in UK

Beedster

Bought my set, anything like the last they'll last until 2015 ;)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LABELLA-flatwound-bass-strings-0760M-JAMERSON-SET_W0QQitemZ130281025918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item130281025918&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LABELLA-flatwound-ba...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

I should add that if you're after a vintage Precision tone and haven't tried a set of these, you really should. OK, your fingers will hate you for a while and slap's out of the question, but short of buying a Telebass you won't get a more full bottom end or more punchy mids. Guys who play my Precision pretty much always ask where I got the strings from (that particular set are about 4 years old and still going strong, although I screwed a more recent set by running through a string-through bridge, which it would appear they weren't too happy about).
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='378604' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:05 AM']Bought my set, anything like the last they'll last until 2015 ;)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LABELLA-flatwound-bass-strings-0760M-JAMERSON-SET_W0QQitemZ130281025918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item130281025918&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LABELLA-flatwound-ba...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]
Good spot Chris, I've snaffled a set

I have a spare 5-string set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass Strings 760FM if anyone is interested. That's B=0.128, E=0.109, A=0.089 , D=0.069, G= 0.049.

They were the unused spare set for my Corvette fretless, and I kept them when I moved from the Corvette to a Yamaha. I fitted them to the Yamaha, didn't like the sound and took them off after about an hour.

The Yamaha is a 35 inch scale bass, and the strings have been cut - about 4 inches beyond each tuner head - for 3+2 head, so you should have plenty of slack, unless you have a 4+1 head.

£15 posted to any UK mainland address.

David

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='379777' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:25 PM']I have a spare 5-string set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass Strings 760FM if anyone is interested. That's B=0.128, E=0.109, A=0.089 , D=0.069, G= 0.049.

They were the unused spare set for my Corvette fretless, and I kept them when I moved from the Corvette to a Yamaha. I fitted them to the Yamaha, didn't like the sound and took them off after about an hour.

The Yamaha is a 35 inch scale bass, and the strings have been cut - about 4 inches beyond each tuner head - for 3+2 head, so you should have plenty of slack, unless you have a 4+1 head.

£15 posted to any UK mainland address.

David[/quote]

You've got a PM. ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='379883' date='Jan 14 2009, 12:23 AM']I just got a set on a bass and I have to confess that even as a die hard roundwound nickel fan I'm quite liking them. :P[/quote]

That was my experience. I bought a set from the USA thinking "Jamerson couldn't have been wrong", and also having tried both Fender and Ernie Ball flats unsuccessfully. Took me about 2 months to get used to them but once I had there was no going back. They're the only strings to have on a Precision ;)
C

[quote name='Beedster' post='379924' date='Jan 14 2009, 05:23 AM']Took me about 2 months to get used to them but once I had there was no going back. They're the only strings to have on a Precision ;)
C[/quote]
I bl**dy hope so. Just put 'em on my P and they feel like transatlantic cables (mind I am used to TI Flats which are quite narrow gauge).

The neck on my bass is also crying at me, saying "relieve me Clarky" (sadly the same cannot be said for Laeticia Casta :P)

[quote name='Clarky' post='381741' date='Jan 15 2009, 09:17 PM']I bl**dy hope so. Just put 'em on my P and they feel like transatlantic cables (mind I am used to TI Flats which are quite narrow gauge).

The neck on my bass is also crying at me, saying "relieve me Clarky" (sadly the same cannot be said for Laeticia Casta ;))[/quote]

You should try the lighter gauge version...i have a set on my Jazz...don't be like me though and snap the G string when fitting them :P Clumsy f***er that i am.

Put these on my 08 P today. Going from an existing 45,60,80,95 set required tweakage of the truss rod and bridge saddle height and I had to re-intonate but I'm loving the sound so far. Much better than the Fender stainless flats I had on there and I believe they're meant to sound better as they age. Lovely warm, oldschool tone. I couldn't be happier.
Cheers again for the heads up Beedster.

[quote name='rayfw' post='381948' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:40 AM']and I believe they're meant to sound better as they age. Lovely warm, oldschool tone. I couldn't be happier.[/quote]

Oh God, yes. From about three months to about three years is about the orgasmic time on my P. ;) Having said that, I compared a recording done four years ago with a recording done last week, and they still sound the same. Thats just over four years for this set of strings. :P I haven't been gigging every weekend, but still...........

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='381966' date='Jan 16 2009, 01:05 AM']Oh God, yes. From about three months to about three years is about the orgasmic time on my P. :P Having said that, I compared a recording done four years ago with a recording done last week, and they still sound the same. Thats just over four years for this set of strings. :) I haven't been gigging every weekend, but still...........[/quote]

Jamerson was reputed to have played the one set through pretty much the whole Motown era ;)

I've used Deep Talkin 45-105's for years (I've always found TI's to be a bit flappy feeling) and to me, they're the best strings I've ever played.

A new set from Stringbusters went on to my Ric 4003 just before Christmas and they've turned it in to a whole new beast ;)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='382034' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:42 AM']I've used Deep Talkin 45-105's for years (I've always found TI's to be a bit flappy feeling) and to me, they're the best strings I've ever played.

A new set from Stringbusters went on to my Ric 4003 just before Christmas and they've turned it in to a whole new beast ;)[/quote]
I have the same strings on my J bazz and they are really nice .... but the Jamersons are like coiled rope. I'm really not sure I am going to get used to these - maybe its the type of music I play (fast, pick-based punk)

[quote name='Clarky' post='382060' date='Jan 16 2009, 09:23 AM']I have the same strings on my J bazz and they are really nice .... but the Jamersons are like coiled rope. I'm really not sure I am going to get used to these - maybe its the type of music I play (fast, pick-based punk)[/quote]

Like I said mate, give it a couple of months, takes time to get used to the tension. TIs are for pussies, the La Bellas are for men. They also sound awesonme with a pick

[quote name='Beedster' post='382075' date='Jan 16 2009, 09:45 AM']LOL, you'll find that once you get the action sorted they'll be a lot more comfortable to play.
C[/quote]
can you get the action low on these? Its quite high on my P, otherwise buzzing sets in.