Why become a member? ×

Fender Mark King Jazz bass

OutToPlayJazz

If my rare CS Fender is owt to go by.... Worth lots but no one will buy it...... ;)

If its mint, I'd say well in excess of £1500..... Buyers however are few and far between....

Gonna try ebaying my CS and be willing to post to Europe, the Euro is strong at the min and a lot of 'nice' stuff is going that way....

Allo!

Personally I'd steer clear mate - I had number 38 - the build quality was nothing special, in fact, the fretting was pretty rough - all the ones I've seen were different in terms of colour etc - plus they smell of play doh! They originally retailed at £1995 - really not sure what they're worth now - I bought mine new at a very good price but traded it in against MK's old Status Empathy #001.

I'm sure there was one went on eBay last year for about £800; IIRC the seller claimed it had some connection with MK though I think that was simply his word as I recall people asking questions and he had no evidence of the fact. Just checked and it's long since gone from my eBay history.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='375942' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:49 AM']Just a query...

I've been offered a Fender Mark King Signature Jazz (#02 of 42) with sims laser leds as a trade for one of my basses. What're these worth (especially in a depressed market?)

Rich.[/quote]
I wouldn't have thought they were worth much because MK is so indelibly etched in people's minds as using/endorsing Staus & JD basses....

Yep last one went for £800.... not good basses unfortunately.... there were lots of problems getting them onto the market.... the coloring was never fluent due to being refinished in various locations... including Iceni and Simms.... I remember trying a few different ones that came off production... nothing that special

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='375951' date='Jan 10 2009, 10:02 AM']....They originally retailed at £1995 - really not sure what they're worth now - I bought mine new at a very good price but traded it in against MK's old Status Empathy #001....[/quote]
Sorry, but what can Fender, or anyone else, do to a Fender Jazz bass to make it worth nearly £2000?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post (sorry) but I'll stand faithful to my Jazz MK. It's a peach and doesn't seem to suffer from any of the things mentioned on here.

I know I'd never sell this one and I've had and sold a JD, Status Kingbass and even an Alembic Series 1 but I know I can get any of those basses back again pretty quickly but not a Fender MK!

Just my tuppence worth but you should have done the deal!

(I paid a lot more than £800 and would have snapped his hand off for that amount!!!)

Yes, I too had heard of the build quality issues. Stuff like necks delaminating and frets popping out. Poor fretwork I hear was a big issue, which for a run of 42 basses, must mean there are a few bad eggs!

Mark was using them live for the Night at the Proms shows in the late 90's along with his GB basses. His tone was truely dreadful with both of those basses! Thats reason enough to avoid them! Mark must have been going through a funny patch!

He briefly mentions them in his interview with BGM, and it just says in there that they are 42 jazz deluxes with kings specs, flat fret board, sim led markers and a neck plate with his name on - I see where the £2k provide tag came from -_-

Also that era IMO MIA fenders arnt to good with consistent quality.

Good job I'm not a Mark King fan.