Why become a member? ×

What the fffff?

I'm perplexed and a bit pissed off...... :)

I was watching a bass on eBay - seller just down the road from me - a blue Yamaha RBX, with an auction that finished at 8 p.m.

I've been away on biz, but checked my ebay account at 4 p.m. at the airport, and it was still there with 4 bids showing. Just got home and signed in, to possibly have a bid for it, and it's gone from my watch list, no email to say it's been sold etc, and I can't find it on eBay as a live item!?!? What's happened there then? I can't believe the seller would have closed the aucton so near ro the finish - I just don't understand what's happened. If it had been sold, as a watcher, I would have been notified.

Any suggestions?

A

[quote name='The Admiral' post='374343' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:32 PM']I'm perplexed and a bit pissed off...... :)

I was watching a bass on eBay - seller just down the road from me - a blue Yamaha RBX, with an auction that finished at 8 p.m.

I've been away on biz, but checked my ebay account at 4 p.m. at the airport, and it was still there with 4 bids showing. Just got home and signed in, to possibly have a bid for it, and it's gone from my watch list, no email to say it's been sold etc, and I can't find it on eBay as a live item!?!? What's happened there then? I can't believe the seller would have closed the aucton so near ro the finish - I just don't understand what's happened. If it had been sold, as a watcher, I would have been notified.

Any suggestions?

A[/quote]

As a watcher you wouldn't be notified of anything! As a bidder you are notified if an item is ended early. If it only had hours to go and had bids on then the seller has ended early to the highest bidder or eBay pulled it; you can't 'generally' end an item for no reason if it is less than 12 hrs to go and has bids on.

did it say in the ad"also selling locally"?
If so, then it's been sold legitimately.

On the other hand, maybe it was bogus

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No, & the guy would allow you to pick it up from his house, or meet in Manchester, but wouldn't allow any couriers to collect from his house during the day.

It looked pretty legit - but you never know - he had quite a bit of feedback.

I wonder if her just pulled the auction in some way because the bids were at £30 with an hour to go. He'd really limited his buyers by only offering collection, but was taking PayPal - which suggested again that it was pretty pukka.

I'm confused!!!!

A

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='374359' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:38 PM']As a watcher you wouldn't be notified of anything! As a bidder you are notified if an item is ended early. If it only had hours to go and had bids on then the seller has ended early to the highest bidder or eBay pulled it; you can't 'generally' end an item for no reason if it is less than 12 hrs to go and has bids on.[/quote]

Surely it would appear on my watch list as ended? I watch a lot of stuff - to see what it sells for - and it comes up on my watch list as 'ended' with the final price. Even if he sold to a high bidder I would have thought that would have happened here too.

Also, I am always notified when the bidding on a 'watched' item is ending soon, with an automated email, and i didn't get that either.

Strange.

A

Listings sometimes get pulled by eBay for other reasons, either (claimed) infringements or sometimes allegations of naughtiness.

NOT saying your vendor was selling a stolen bass, but someone else might have accused him of such in which case eBay would pull the listing pending settlement of that accusation.

Probably not the case this time, but I've seen listings just "disappear" like this before.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='374380' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:58 PM']The very fact that you say he was offering collection only, no postage, saying 'cash on collection' etc. may have resulted in eBay ending it as they hate the thought of anyone circumventing their fees and selling privately after the cheap advertising on eBay. :)[/quote]

Just been relisted!

5 day auction - same wording in the advert. Anyone smelling a rat?

A

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-RBX170-Blue-Bass-guitar-excellent-condition_W0QQitemZ190278981910QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item190278981910&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-RBX170-Blue-B...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

[quote name='The Admiral' post='374384' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:05 PM']Just been relisted!

5 day auction - same wording in the advert. Anyone smelling a rat?

A

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-RBX170-Blue-Bass-guitar-excellent-condition_W0QQitemZ190278981910QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item190278981910&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-RBX170-Blue-B...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

Ebay would have pulled it!

There would have been something written somewhere that ebay didn't like!
I had my EBS cab pulled for having another manufactures name in the ad!

Jake

You are now forced to offer Paypal as an option. If you state 'cash on collection only' they will remove it as nowadays Paypal MUST be offered (part of the ebay global takeover policy)

He has now relisted as "Payment is by PayPal or cash on collection."

Once ebay remove a listing it's as if it never existed. If you look at an item they've listed themselves it will state the reason for them ending early (i.e. no longer available)

Sorry if this is OT, but I had a listing pulled once, because I said it was being advertised elsewhere.

IMHO it is one thing having totalitarian rules that allow this to happen, but quite another thing that it happens without warning. If they had emailed and said, "we have deleted the 'illegal' reference, but you are free to continue, edit or cancel", then fair enough!

Rant over. I hope you win at the right price.

[quote name='Trace_n_bass' post='374463' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:24 PM']You are now forced to offer Paypal as an option. If you state 'cash on collection only' they will remove it as nowadays Paypal MUST be offered (part of the ebay global takeover policy)

He has now relisted as "Payment is by PayPal or cash on collection."

Once ebay remove a listing it's as if it never existed. If you look at an item they've listed themselves it will state the reason for them ending early (i.e. no longer available)[/quote]

Just to clarify - it [b]originally[/b] stated 'PayPal or Cash on Collection' and I'm pretty confident that hasn't changed. I do think that those who are saying 'pulled by eBay' are right as I can't see how else it could have so quickly and completely dissappeared. I'll email the guy and report back.

A

I've had a listing pulled for saying it was advertised elsewhere, amongst numerous other spurious reasons. I despise the way Ebay behave as though they're doing you a favour by allowing you to buy their service.

Anyway, on topic, the guy may have pulled the auction near the end because it wasn't meeting his expectations. I remember a guy doing that with a nice JapCrap Cimar that quite a few people on here (or it might have been the old BW) were watching & bidding on. Naturally he got a modicum of (well deserved) abuse on here - and it turns out he'd been lurking, so he signed up especially to insult everyone who'd wanted to buy his bass.

Ebay, and its inhabitants, really can be sh!t.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='374558' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:42 PM']Ebay, and its inhabitants, really can be sh!t.

Jon.[/quote]

Yet we all continue to use it (or most of us anyway). Also we put up with ever increasing costs for listing fee, final value fee, reserve fee, paypal fee, air we breath fee etc etc.

Anyone fancy starting a rival?

Failing that we can sell stuff to each other via a forum or something ;-)

I've been caught out by ebay a few times recently - f***ing c**ts - they withdrew something I was selling because I stated that it was advertised locally and apparently that's not allowed, and then they withdrew some boots my girlfriend was selling because she said in the title "Like UGG Boots" and apparently that was considered as spamming or some other bullshit – both times I received no notification that I had breached any technical rules other than having my listing removed without refund of fees. I f***ing hate ebay but it's just such a bloody effective way of selling stuff. I've said so many times that I'll never use it again, but when push comes to shove, I know I'll be able to sell stuff on ebay. It's one of those things I love to hate.

I think Ebay will eventually be superseded by something else (and no, I don't know what!) because it seems to have a plan to force out private sellers & turn itself into a shopping portal. It's already offering all sorts of freebies in the US to encourage businesses, while making it more & more expensive & restrictive for individuals.

Unfortunately when it does, we can expect any company that steps into its place to start where Ebay left off, with high charges & unreasonable restrictions, and we'll accept it because we're used to it. A bit like governments, really. :)

J.

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='374437' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:02 PM']Ebay would have pulled it!

Jake[/quote]

So then...... emailed the seller, who advises that eBay removed the listing with an hour to go, because he had described the bass as being in 'as new' condition, yet had selected 'used' in the drop down menu to describe the status.

It looks pretty legit - he bought it from Dawsons in Altrincham, hasn't played it, and just wants to off load it - for as near £90 as poss (BIN @ £90). If
only my Mrs would let me buy it...... it would be ideal for the car boot bass I was looking for on the items wanted thread .. especially if I could get it for £60 by way of the auction. Sadly, I have been rumbled.. so I'm under surveillance now. :)

Thanks for all your input - and I quite agree about eBay .... a necessary pain in the arse.

A

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='374437' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:02 PM']Ebay would have pulled it!

Jake[/quote]
I'm tempted to agree with this too.

I had stuff for sale some time back, and eBay just pulled the ads, simple as that. No questions asked, no email suggesting I edited it to remove what they didn't like. The ad was just pulled. I got an email informing me, which also said any bids had been cancelled and the bidders informed.

So I had to relist it.

[quote name='The Admiral' post='374700' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:06 AM']So then...... emailed the seller, who advises that eBay removed the listing with an hour to go, because he had described the bass as being in 'as new' condition, yet had selected 'used' in the drop down menu to describe the status.[/quote]

WTF :) That really takes the biscuit. I don't think anyone with even a basic grasp of the English language would be in any danger of being confused by that. Ebay just seems to make up the rules as it goes along.

[quote name='Musky' post='374833' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:00 AM']WTF ;) That really takes the biscuit. I don't think anyone with even a basic grasp of the English language would be in any danger of being confused by that. Ebay just seems to make up the rules as it goes along.[/quote]

Agreed - and I've traded a few emails with the guy who is selling: he's had it two months apparently, and had it out of the box about a dozen times. If only it wasn't so blue ...... and of course, I think BIN for £90 is a bit hopeful, given that you can have a choice of colour for £115 brand new on t'internet. Good luck to him though - you just need 2 keen bidders who are determined to win it.

Nice bass ..... Yamaha's - the Ronseal of bass guitars.

A