Why become a member? ×

HELP! OPINION NEEDED! Bass project poll + diary

Pkomor

I've just given up teaching D&T and I'd go for C. Different and ascetically interesting. What was your inspiration for this shape? You'll be asked that of course so wise to have an answer even if you make it up afterwards ;)

B is too conventional although I love the horn sweep through the body. A too is not too dissimilar to existing designs.

Peter

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='396499' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:33 PM']that could get really annoying moving up and down the fretboard.[/quote]

Surely no more than a single cut bass as your thumb should be behind the neck and not hanging over the top edge.
This is afterall a design exercise.

The body wings are lovely flamed sycamore, and the neck is a 3 piece sapele/maple/sapele laminate
it will be a fretless 5 string, and hopefully have some sort of unusual fretboard like this vigier guitar..

it will have 2 jazz style pickups, wired vol/vol/tone (probably)
If i have time, i will also try and fit LED side dots.

• 2 weeks later...

more progress made,

timber for body..

[attachment=20008:DSC00094.JPG]

Planed..

[attachment=20006:DSC00093.JPG]

Neck woods glued up..

[attachment=20009:DSC00103.JPG]

Body cut out roughly..

[attachment=20010:DSC00102.JPG]

All laid out (body shape still not perfect!)

[attachment=20011:DSC00104.JPG]

[attachment=20012:DSC00105.JPG]

you cant really see the flame of the sycamore in these pics, but is is fairly prominent in real life!
Truss rod channel, then neck tapering to do next!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='372376' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:04 PM']B definitely, i hate singlecuts, C is a bit strange... B is cool though, reminds me of a peavey cirrus or something[/quote]

+1, yeah basically like a cirrus but then angled like a jazz bass only moreso (forget what it's called but you know what i mean right?) It's just a very classy and sexy shape i think.

• 1 month later...

lots more done now...

I experimented for a while, with casting a plastic fret board,
but I couldnt achive hard enough finish...

[attachment=22586:DSC00109.JPG]

[attachment=22587:DSC00110.JPG]

so i decided to go for an ebony board..
(pictured with trussrod on top.)

[attachment=22588:DSC00113.JPG]

truss rod slot routed (alot being learned from my first build!)

[attachment=22597:DSC00115.JPG]

[attachment=22598:DSC00116.JPG]

[attachment=22589:DSC00129.JPG]

[attachment=22590:DSC00132.JPG]

+ a pic of the chamfer on the fret board...

[attachment=22591:DSC00133.JPG]

more in a bit...

Edited by Pkomor

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='443272' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:29 PM']I'm glad that it's not just me.

S.P.[/quote]

I believe its some plastic being cast over wood for when he was experimenting with it, well im pretty sure in the first one, im lost by the second i just assume :)

Nice thread by the way

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='443278' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:36 PM']I believe its some plastic being cast over wood for when he was experimenting with it, well im pretty sure in the first one, im lost by the second i just assume :)

Nice thread by the way[/quote]

yup, thats right,

in the first im experimenting with the cast plastic (in a mold) into some sapele,
In the second, i was casting into a vacuum formed mold i made, so i could just have the cast (not on any wood) to see if it would flex at all.

unfortunately, i couldn't get the finish hard enough!

• 3 weeks later...

lots more done...

(I should add that this this is the first time i have ever used most woodworking tools, let alone made a bass before, so lots being learnt along the way.)

neck shaping...

[attachment=23581:IMG_5287.JPG]

shaping the fretboard...

[attachment=23582:IMG_5288.JPG]

layed out..

[attachment=23583:IMG_5292.JPG]

(these build diarys make it seem soo much faster than it actually is :))

glued...

[attachment=23584:IMG_5289.JPG]

started chiselling the pick up cavities on a test piece,

[attachment=23585:100_1600.JPG]

the the real thing..

[attachment=23586:100_1606.JPG]

a pic of me in action :rolleyes:

[attachment=23587:100_1607.JPG]

here it is so far..

[attachment=23588:100_1610.JPG]

• 3 weeks later...

Right, the bass is now FINISHED! :)

here it is!

[attachment=24461:IMG_7828.jpg]

[attachment=24462:IMG_7830.jpg]

[attachment=24463:IMG_7833.jpg]

[attachment=24464:IMG_7834.jpg]

[attachment=24465:IMG_7835.jpg]

[attachment=24466:IMG_7837.jpg]

[attachment=24467:IMG_7838.jpg]

[attachment=24468:IMG_7839.jpg]

To help me get the maximum marks in my project i need some opinions...
to if you have a moment to write a little comment, that would be great!
I'm really after stuff like quality of finish, possible retail price etc, but whatever you can put down would be great!

Please tell me what you think!

Well done!

Looks pretty good - nice woods, unobtrusive finish and an unusual headstock design which goes well with the body - looks like flames or something.

If I had to give any criticisms I'd say that a little more contouring might be good, it's a little too slab like in the body at the moment. Also it might be good to shape the heel to follow the body shape curve rather than the uncompromising straight across thing which is there.

[quote name='neepheid' post='473673' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:22 PM']Well done!

Looks pretty good - nice woods, unobtrusive finish and an unusual headstock design which goes well with the body - looks like flames or something.

If I had to give any criticisms I'd say that a little more contouring might be good, it's a little too slab like in the body at the moment. Also it might be good to shape the heel to follow the body shape curve rather than the uncompromising straight across thing which is there.[/quote]

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing im after!

Well done, looks like it turned out very nice indeed!

I voted A. I dont like single cuts as a rule, but it was the most original (if slightly ESP looking) of the designs and having recently tried Warwickhunt's Bolin single cut, I was minded to go with this choice. B reminded me of an SEI and C reminded me of an Overwater.

What's the finished bass like to play then, I imagine that with that extended top horn the balance will be pretty good, and how would you describe the tone?

[quote name='JPJ' post='473787' date='Apr 27 2009, 10:13 PM']Well done, looks like it turned out very nice indeed!

I voted A. I dont like single cuts as a rule, but it was the most original (if slightly ESP looking) of the designs and having recently tried Warwickhunt's Bolin single cut, I was minded to go with this choice. B reminded me of an SEI and C reminded me of an Overwater.

What's the finished bass like to play then, I imagine that with that extended top horn the balance will be pretty good, and how would you describe the tone?[/quote]

Thanks!

the tone is a cross between jaco,and something fatter and bassier, phat like a double bass, but punchy like jaco, it turned out uch btter than i thought it would!

iv'e been playing it all night and still getting used to the fretlessness!