Why become a member? ×

HELP! OPINION NEEDED! Bass project poll + diary

Pkomor

I'm making a bass for my As level design technology project in school.
I would like some help deciding what body style to make,
I have modelled 3 styles out of insulation foam (complete with contours etc..)
pick your favourite!

A )

[attachment=18217:DSC00074.JPG]

B )

[attachment=18219:DSC00073.JPG]

C )

[attachment=18218:DSC00075.JPG]

Edited by Pkomor

I'm quite taken by singlecuts at the moment, but I don't like them when the top 'bulges' before it connects with the neck. Your designs look very Sei-inspired to me.

I voted B, but there looks to be a lot more surface area above the strings than below, does that make sense?!?

Definitely B. A is a bit gimmicky and C is a bit BC Rich. I would have thought your Design Technology tutors and examiner would prefer a pragmatic approach rather than styling for the sake of it and B seems to tick more of those boxes. Don't get too practical though or you'll end up with a Warwick Thumb (AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='372572' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:03 PM']C is the most interesting because it's the least derivative. I'd smooth out some of the lines and make it a bit more curvy though if it was me.[/quote]

+1 on that

Swoopy curvy things just aren't doing it for me at the moment and "C" looks the most purposeful and if you used A or B it would be a case of "oh that looks like a such and such" Go for originality every time.
I would straighten the pups up though as they throw the balance of the shape out , but hey that's your choice.

[quote name='Buzz' post='374002' date='Jan 8 2009, 01:32 PM']Does no one else spot the resemblence of design B to one of the ACG designs?[/quote]
A bit of a resemblance but not so much as to be a knock-off. It also has a bit of a resemblance to a Peavey Cirrus walking into a strong wind. There isn't a really vast amount of variation in shape available once you've determined that you're making an asymmetric two-horned forward-leaning bass, given the constraints that actually producing a practical usable instrument place on you (neck dive being a primary consideration, so headed basses have held back the evolution of the instrument enormously).

I find angled pickups incredibly ugly as well as uncomfortable for resting your thumb on when playing finger style, so unless there is a very good and provable reason for doing this (ie you can hear a significant improvement in tone with them at an angle) I'd go with them straightened up.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='375052' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:18 PM']I find angled pickups incredibly ugly as well as uncomfortable for resting your thumb on when playing finger style, so unless there is a very good and provable reason for doing this (ie you can hear a significant improvement in tone with them at an angle) I'd go with them straightened up.[/quote]

Thanks, I prefer the way they look, but it didnt occur to me that i wouldn't be able to rest my thumb on the pickup.
(duh!)
I will probably go for a single musicman style pickup any way! :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='wizbat' post='393301' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:01 AM']For what it,s worth, how about shape 2 but with the top horn joining with the body again further up (just for fun and the fact it hasn,t been done before) so it makes a bigger semi circle in the cutaway line and forms a handle for easy carrying :-)[/quote]

that could get really annoying moving up and down the fretboard.