Why become a member? ×

Pino live

obi 2 kenobi

[url="http://www.arte.tv/fr/Videos-sur-ARTE-TV/2151166,CmC=2369496.html"]http://www.arte.tv/fr/Videos-sur-ARTE-TV/2...mC=2369496.html[/url]

In France over the holidays. Went to wife's friends place last nite. Dude showed me some recordings of Manu Katché's 'one shot not'. Essentially a better version of Later with Jools but without the boogie woogie piano and added bonus of rehearsals like this with Pino, Manu and Dominic Miller.

The range of skills and the complete range of music that Pino can play is probably without equal in the bass world. Truely multidimensional.

[quote name='Jase' post='365464' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:56 PM']Phwoa! About time there was some vid footage of this guy. Cheers obi.[/quote]

Check out the other vids on same site for more Pino w/Jan Gaberek and Claxico. A lot of good stuff. Friendly Fires are pretty interesting too, reminds me of Talking Heads c/Fear of Music

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='365463' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:48 PM'][url="http://www.arte.tv/fr/Videos-sur-ARTE-TV/2151166,CmC=2369496.html"]http://www.arte.tv/fr/Videos-sur-ARTE-TV/2...mC=2369496.html[/url]

The range of skills and the complete range of music that Pino can play is probably without equal in the bass world. Truely multidimensional.[/quote]

I think Pino is a really great musician but to say the 'range of music he can play is without equal in the bass world' is just wrong. There are tons of great players that are his equal and above. And I'm pretty sure it's not a stake he would lay caim to no matter how good he is (and he is very very good)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='365504' date='Dec 29 2008, 02:57 PM']I think Pino is a really great musician but to say the 'range of music he can play is without equal in the bass world' is just wrong. There are tons of great players that are his equal and above. And I'm pretty sure it's not a stake he would lay caim to no matter how good he is (and he is very very good)[/quote]

Perhaps I was exaggerating. What I meant is that is he is a highly visible first call session player across an incredibly wide range of music; D'angelo, mayer, etc. This is what sets him apart imo. There are few other visible guys out there that match him on this score. AJ is the only one I can think of, and thats going back in time to an extent.

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='365473' date='Dec 29 2008, 02:08 PM']....Check out the other vids on same site .... Friendly Fires are pretty interesting too, reminds me of Talking Heads c/Fear of Music....[/quote]
Friendly Fires at 3.22, the bass starts before the bass player has put down the drum stick! Shame they felt the live playing wasn't good enough! How much re-recording and post processing is there on the show!

[quote name='chris_b' post='365530' date='Dec 29 2008, 03:31 PM']Friendly Fires at 3.22, the bass starts before the bass player has put down the drum stick! Shame they felt the live playing wasn't good enough! How much re-recording and post processing is there on the show![/quote]

Maybe a bit of lag or out of synch while playing back???? A bit of jiggery pokery never killed anyone :)

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='365523' date='Dec 29 2008, 03:26 PM']Perhaps I was exaggerating. What I meant is that is he is a highly visible first call session player across an incredibly wide range of music; D'angelo, mayer, etc. This is what sets him apart imo. There are few other visible guys out there that match him on this score. AJ is the only one I can think of, and thats going back in time to an extent.[/quote]

Fair play and sure he's visible mainly due to his association with Paul Young and his CV has deservedly really grown,

but....

Jimmy Johnson, Anthony Jackson, Darryll Jones, Neil Stubenhaus, Marcus Miller, Nathan East, John Patittucci, Jimmy Haslip, Will Lee, Tom Barney, Willie Weeks, Lee Sklar ...

and that list is straight off the top, if I went through my record collection it would more than double.

:) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='largo' post='365579' date='Dec 29 2008, 04:54 PM']Is highly visible the same as highly recognisable ? If so, I'd take half the players off your list jakesbass.[/quote]
The straight answer is no.

Does your question mean you assume that they are not known because they are not known to you? It's semantics. For the record I don't think Pino is 'highly recognisable' whatever that is, to many other than bass players.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='365672' date='Dec 29 2008, 06:41 PM']The straight answer is no.

Does your question mean you assume that they are not known because they are not known to you? It's semantics. For the record I don't think Pino is 'highly recognisable' whatever that is, to many other than bass players.[/quote]

Yeah, I can agree with that. Actually, I don't know much about him at all.... other than he's been on the scene forever.

[quote name='Jase' post='365718' date='Dec 29 2008, 07:54 PM']Yeah, I can agree with that. Actually, I don't know much about him at all.... other than he's been on the scene forever.[/quote]

Ironically I happen to know that he's from Cardiff (my home town) and is from a restaurant owning Italian family. In my last few years in Cardiff I was in a band with his brother Mark who is a very capable drummer. As a fellow bass player and Cardiffian I am totally thumbs up for all that Pino has achieved, he is a great player, and has worked with some really great artists and from the people I know in common with him he is also a top bloke.

[quote name='Josh' post='366023' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:41 AM']I still can't hear why he is supposedly so amazing, still, not wishing to start anything I'm just still trying to find something by him which will hopefully make it abundantly clear.

Tight like curried mutton mind you.[/quote]

He doesn't get in the way, he plays what's required, it's very tasteful. I'm no Pino expert but you only have to look at him to realise he's an accomplished musician :) (Not a dig at you Josh) :huh: