Why become a member? ×

Eden WT800 replacement

Mr.T

Hi,

I need to replace my Eden WT800, due to reliability issues.
It's replacement must sound similar, ie:
Warm, clean and smoooooth.

Must haves:
Sound as above.
Around 500w @ 4 ohms.
Decent EQ... (I am quite liking rotary controls).
A price tag of no more than £500.
Reliability.

Would likes:
Mute button

Don't cares:
Doesn't need to be a featherweight.
I don't ever DI.

For 20 years I have used Trace gear, and been very happy with it.
However since using the Eden, I don't think I want to go back to it... and my Trace head doesn't sound so clever when paired with my new cabs (Ashdown 2 x 10 neo and Aguilar 1 x 12).

As a pointer in the right direction, I tried a Genz shuttle 6.0 (amazing little amp) but thought it sounded 'sterile' (to my ears) with the rest of my kit.

Suggestions please.

[quote name='bumnote' post='363711' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:59 PM']Do you need 2 400 watt amps? if not consider a s hand traveller

Why not have the eden ovehauled gotta be cheaper than splashing out £500[/quote]

I have been given a refund on the Eden.
I loved the sound of it, but have read of too many people having reliability issues to want another Eden product.
Ideally, I would buy something British?

Powerwise, I never struggled with my Trace GP12 250smx... and it has been totally reliable.
It sounded great with the Trace cabs, but not so clever with my new cabs... kind of 'clanky'.

Funnily enough, I like my Shuttle for its ability to be neutral, as a bass with good pre-amp & decent strings needs little to be added.

And also, co-incidentally, if I was to change my head, Eden is the first range I'd go for! Shame if reliability was an issue. As weight isn't an issue, maybe a Warwick will suit? I had an X-treme 1000w head for a while. I didn't like its weight in the end.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='363716' date='Dec 26 2008, 03:06 PM']....I loved the sound of it, but have read of too many people having reliability issues to want another Eden product.
Ideally, I would buy something British?....[/quote]
I think the only Eden to have problems was the WT800B.
What bass amps are being made in Britain these days? I can't think of any (except Cornell) that haven't relocated to China! Germany and Italy is about a close as you're going to get!

Funny, I've only heard of one other person having a problem with the WT800 and even after several attempts it wasn't right? Maybe a bad batch?

What about a WT550? - My one has never missed a beat, it puts out 500w into 4ohms and mutes if you put the volume down to 0 :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='364009' date='Dec 27 2008, 12:08 AM']Funny, I've only heard of one other person having a problem with the WT800 and even after several attempts it wasn't right? Maybe a bad batch?

What about a WT550? - My one has never missed a beat, it puts out 500w into 4ohms and mutes if you put the volume down to 0 :)[/quote]

When I was researching getting an amp last year I read quite a few reports on t'internet re. problems with Eden amps and reliability. Like you say maybe it was a bad batch etc but it was sufficient to put me off!

I spent a couple of hours today messing around with the EQ settings on my Trace amp.
I found that if I shaped the graphic to heavily cut the 340 and 660hz frequencies and boosted everything else, I could get a half decent sound.

I am wondering if this is something to do with the neo's in my Ashdown cab, and whether the Eden head was 'scooped' in this area making it sound so much better with my cabs?

I found the Shuttle that I tried also needed some pretty radical EQ'ing to get a sound I liked... (which was what put me off the amp)... I used to run my Trace pretty flat with the Trace cabs!

Anyway...
If I go for the LM2 (which is looking favourite at the moment just because so many people seem to be happy with theirs) will I need to EQ the living daylights out of it?
...or is there an amp in my price range that has a similar 'scoop' to the Eden?

Thanks for your patience!

This would be so much easier if I had a local music store....

p.s. I phoned my local store (25 miles away) to ask about a LM2. They said they could get me one, but don't stock those 'new fangled' makes 'cos folks round these parts are a bit weary of them!!!??? Thank god for the internet.

Edited by Mr.T

I tried lots of amps through my cabs at home before deciding on the LM11 - it's the only way to be sure that you can get 'your' sound and it's completely subjective.
Many people don't touch the eq or filters, while some go crazy with the knobs.
They are very flexible and you shouldn't be afraid of using them to get your sound - whatever it takes is fine so long as you are happy with the result.
You could do with finding someone locally to let you have a go on their LM11, Rasta has one in a combo if he's anywhere nearby and since he replaced his Eden with one he should be able to advise on their different sounds.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='364045' date='Dec 27 2008, 08:39 AM']When I was researching getting an amp last year I read quite a few reports on t'internet re. problems with Eden amps and reliability. Like you say maybe it was a bad batch etc but it was sufficient to put me off![/quote]

I have had my traveller about 5 years and it never let me down, and neither did the metro i had before it. In fact where it not for the weight, I think the metro is one of the best I amps i have ever used.

The only amps in over 40 years of gigging i have had issues with were a made in the us ampeg and a boogie basis 2000, both of whom have a reputation for qulity and reliability

Every manufacturer from Mercedes to Sony to Nike makes a sub stsndard product sometimes. Companies who consistantly make bad product go out of business.

I saw a basschatters new US fender precision a while ago, and it was awfull. It doesnt mean that all fenders are c... [although I would rather have a bob glaub.]

One of the difficulties with a mass communication media like the internet is that it doesnt take that many people on an internet forum to crticise a product, before that product gets a bad reputation, and as quoted above, 'it was sufficient to put me off'

I reckon if you like the eden sound ,get another one.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='365460' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:45 PM']Just ordered myself a Markbass SA450... got it for the same price as the LM2.

Should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck![/quote]
Nice choice - it should give you all you want with the extra eq over the LM2, still no mute though.
I know you said you aren't bothered about the weight, but I'm sure you will smile when you pick it up.

I think you're gonna love it.

Redstriper...
I guess I'll get used to not having a mute, actually the Eden didn't have one which I thought odd on such an expensive amp!?
I am thinking that the Markbass amps must be pretty versatile as players of very wide ranging genres seem to be happy with them... we'll see.

Bass Ferret...
Will do!
It'll be interesting to hear how it stands up against the Eden at less than half the price.