Why become a member? ×

Eden WT800 replacement

Mr.T

owned a little mark 1, the flat sound was very good. i was happy because you can find your sound immediatly,they hare uncoloured.. they are great with active basses and never lack in volume.
with my mb i played sometimes with flat eq, other times with bass and high mids at 3 o clock.(dependin on the cab)

Well...
The little Markbass amp was delivered on time and I've had a couple of days to mess around with it at home.
I am not going to commit to raving about it until I have gigged it next week.

My initial impressions...
It is very light (as expected) and for something designed in Italy not very pretty looking (IMO).
But hey, I bought it for the sound... and it seems to have plenty of it!
I plugged in my fretted Status and it only took about 5 minutes to get the hang of the 'EQ' and 'Filter' sections, and find a nice 'frontroom' sound.
I think in a gig situation I'll probably be running the amp fairly flat... we'll see.
The SA450 seems to have a fairly powerful amount of EQ and I would be suprised if anyone could not find a sound they liked with this amp.... (as long as they like clean sounds).... there is no dirt to be found here!
It will do anything from 'dark and moody' to 'bright' with all points in between.
The two filters are simple enough to use, the VLE essentially cutting the higher mids and top with the VPF scooping out the mids.... I found moderation of both to be the order of the day.
I would have liked to have seen a mute button, but will get used to using my pedal for mute tuning.
Not much else to say really, the Markbass does what it promises... To reproduce the sound of your bass!
It is cleaner than my Trace... (If I want dirt, I can add it).
It is not as warm as the Eden... (But I doubt that would notice with the rest of the band?).
I am not going to compare it with the Shuttle I tried, because I think the little GenzBenz must have had a fault. I am basing this on reviews I have read that said the MarkBass and GenzBenz amps are quite similar. The shuttle I tried had little to no bottom end (even when fully cranked) and the SA450 has shedloads of it.

Next, I plugged in my fretless Status and....
My God!!!!
I have never had my fretless sound sooooo good, it was an almost sexual experience.
My fretless has always sounded either dull or at best like a slightly out of tune fretted bass.... it sounded 'kind of' Ok but never how I like a fretless to sound.
I thought that maybe Status fretless just weren't really up to it.
........ but through the MarkBass it really sings!
I just couldn't put it down, I was m'wahing away like it was going out of fashion.

So, all in all, I am pleased with the SA450.... but will wait to gig it before making my final decision.