Why become a member? ×

Are you a member of TalkBass?

acidbass

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='362917' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:08 PM']Maki and I actually got banned for the same thing the other week, both took the piss out of Fassa on the same thread.[/quote]

she needs it... always has a problem...

I don't see her posting in here though... wouldn't last five minutes...

I browsed the forum a few times, but never really thought about joining.

I went off the whole international forum thing ever since i joined total guitar. Post something youre not too sure about with every possibility you might be incorrect and theres always someone to make you feel like a Teawat.

Plus i feel very welcome here and everyone treats each other respectfully. Most of the time. I think.

Edited by agoulding

[quote name='agoulding' post='368887' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:57 PM']I browsed the forum a few times, but never really thought about joining.

I went off the whole international forum thing ever since i joined total guitar. Post something youre not too sure about with every possibility you might be incorrect and theres always someone to make you feel like a Teawat.

Plus i feel very welcome here and everyone treats each other respectfully. Most of the time. I think.[/quote]

Guess im lucky because ive never experienced that myself over on TB.
Ive had nothing but help and good chat.

Been a Talkbass member for a little while now, but the other day I had forgot I was & tried to register only to be told my used id was already in use (shows how much I use TB).
It is good for info & I was almost tempted to join the Moog users club, the Ibanez users club & the Markbass users club, but after discovering there isn't a Zoom users club I decided not to bother :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='363031' date='Dec 24 2008, 07:00 PM']I have been a member since 2004. I originally joined for double bass info- the DB side of the board is a goldmine,[/quote]

+ 1

I'm a member but mostly read posts on DB forum - still cliquey, all US made basses, very little on Euro manufacturers. But still a goldmine.

I've been a talkbass member longer than I've been a member here. Only because I found it in a Google search years ago and only came here to buy something initially...

Got to a point now where I rarely ask about specific bass things - I only use the 'net to buy / sell things really :)

The Talkbass Double Bass forums are certainly goldmines, the discussion is (most times) adult and when it isn't the invective gets quite amusing. They seem to insult each other in a much more grown up fashion. I find the DB guys very friendly and helpful. The only stuff I don't use is the For Sale and Wanted forums, due to the transatlantic preponderence (naturally).

Great forums, great people.

Sometimes mannerisms and small cultural differences come across much bigger in text. We don't have body language, or subtle cues within a person to see. It's easy to take things wrong in the written word, and come to our own conclusions through whatever other prejudices we may hold against people.

The Americans I have chated to on the site have been nothing but friendly and helpful. Infact, when I posted my links to all my free youtube lessons, they made it a sticky in the forums. They thanked me, for helping other people and I thanked them. The community accepted me there, open armed...

When I posted the same links HERE, I was told off for it. Someone with too much time on their hands complained.

I like these forums, and the people on them. But that experience kinda tainted it for me, which is I why I mostly visit talkbass now.

It's a shame.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='368899' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:05 PM']Guess im lucky because ive never experienced that myself over on TB.
Ive had nothing but help and good chat.[/quote]

fairs. Im sure theres some great dudes over on TB but i get all the help and info i need on this site.

I dunno. I might join someday, i prefer to be part of a smaller community where you are more likeley to be heard

I find the accusation of TB being cliquey quite strange as i find BC to be even more so.
Maybe its the fact that we don't have as many members and so don't get as much varied discussion. Seems each topic has its own posters and these same names always seem to pop up. Not a problem of course, just pointing out why i think BC is cliquey.
Ive posted in quite a few threads here that have been ignored, only to have another poster post the same thing and get thanked because he is a mate of the OP etc.

Nah, its not sour grapes but it makes me feel a bit alienated and puts me off bothering even though Ive been around for a while. For some reason i don't get that over on TB.

Maybe i smell ;-)

I do of course have some friends here and these comments aren't directed at them, or anyone in particular really.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='370515' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:52 PM']I find the accusation of TB being cliquey quite strange as i find BC to be even more so.[/quote]

I find it strange that folks here say TB is too religious, considering religious discussion is 100% banned.

I used to use TB absolutely loads. There was so much information around. Basses to drool over, discussion on technique etc. Less so now; the majority of the stuff that was useful a while ago is now of little use to me.

Also, the threads were less like the discussions we have on here. There were so many members that it was rarely a cohesive thread, but ended up (IMO and in general) being a free-for-all smattering of comments with rarely anyone responding to previously made comments, and if they did it was usually to agree 100% or to aggressively disagree.

It's a great resource, and the lesser visited sections are easier to get answers and have discussions in.

Mark

[quote name='bassace' post='369203' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:22 PM']The only stuff I don't use is the For Sale and Wanted forums, due to the transatlantic preponderence (naturally).[/quote]

It's actually easier and more pleasant than Ebay. When the Sterling was strong there were lots of bargains to be had, and the gear tends to come with some user history as you can have a conversation with the seller with some pre-established common ground as opposed to a question to an ebay seller. Also, sometimes things you are looking for turn up there and you just can't find them here. I have made a few transactions with no issues whatsoever. Well, one was lost by Parcelforce for a while, and it was safely recovered but it was a parcelforce problem. Craigslist US is also a great place to search for bargains.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='bassace' post='369203' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:22 PM']The only stuff I don't use is the For Sale and Wanted forums, due to the transatlantic preponderence (naturally).[/quote]

They do have an international for sale section although that still covers quite a large area.