Why become a member? ×

Al's home made Ric 4003 build

Al Heeley

Thx guys, I've made about 5 basses and 4 lead guitars to date, currently working on a mahogany flying V for a band member. I have the urge to build another bass, a custom Jazz with active pups, and another fanned fret 5 and another ricky, only my job, wife and kids, sleep and mealtimes get in the way. Trouble is, on every build there's things not done right and you learn from them, so want to go back and do another, better. It's quite addictive.
If anyone's interested in buying one of my builds, please drop me a line.
In particular:
Bubinga P-bass

Zebrawood neck-thu with JB type pickups:

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='362827' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:28 PM']Thanks to everyone for taking such an interest in this thread and for all the great feedback.[/quote]
I didn't even clock your build thread until you posted on my JapCrap restoration one.

That is an outrageously stunning piece of work -

How long did it take you? The initial readthrough gave me the impression you'd knocked it up over Christmas - although clearly that's not what happened! Did you leave the back/neck natural & just go for a black top?

Going off to check out the TB thread now!

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='365401' date='Dec 29 2008, 12:15 PM']How long did it take you? The initial readthrough gave me the impression you'd knocked it up over Christmas - although clearly that's not what happened! Did you leave the back/neck natural & just go for a black top?[/quote]Thanks Jon! The whole build took about 6 weeks, and a lot of that was struggling to source the hardware which is hens teeth in the UK.
The back, sides and neck were left natural, with a few coats of Rustins Plastic Coating then buffed to a silk low-gloss finish.
A lot of things I'd do different (better) now, just itching to raise enough money to have a go at version#2.

I read the TB thread - it was funny to see the "encouragement" you were getting to go for a greenburst finish. Wonder if any of them knew those crazy Japanese did it first?

[attachment=17843:vorgbassresize.jpg]

:)

What's the Rustins like to use? I'm thinking about trying that for a maple neck/board refin & possibly on a fretless fingerboard. Any advice/opinions?

J.

Edited by Bassassin

Rustins is good once you've had the practice. It goes off quick in the warm and can leave brush marks, but for a good gloss build with no spray equipment there are few more effective alternatives. You have to test it over any paint or stain first as its a bit moody, and if it cures wrong or orange peels its a horrible mess to get off and restart.
As it is fast-curing, you can build up a lot of thin coats over a weekend and then its so damned hard it will be like a polyester finish. Allow to really harden for a couple of weeks before wet-sanding/finishing, then buff up with beeswax. Some of the experienced guys on project guitar forum get an absolutely superb finish with Rustins PC - I'm talking PRS-level finish.
I would not use it for a neck - I prefer Tru-Oil, and would not use for a bass fingerboard lacquer either, as the bass strings will dent it. You really need epoxy to do that properly, IMO.

Edited by Al Heeley

I think the final cost of the wood and hardware was somewhere around [edit - recosted] £400, but there were a few extra tools i needed to get the job done, the consumables, etc. and the paint and lacquer, sticking plasters, beer and time taken getting the scratches out of the kitchen work surface before the wife noticed.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Musky' post='367612' date='Jan 1 2009, 11:58 AM']What changes are you considering for a second build?[/quote]
I can get a much slimmer and better feeling neck profile now I've done a few, using sanding disks in an electric drill. The truss rod (I only used one plus 2 carbon fibre stiffening rods) could be seated flush up against the fretboard so the neck profile could be slimmer. The black finish was a pain without good spray equipment, I'd leave the next natural and build up some Tru-oil coats on it. Now I know exactly where to rout all the channels and cavities and how deep to go so the whole body build would be more straightforward.
Thanks for all the comments, I'm really itching to do a mkII now...

Harking back to one of my earlier posts [What constitutes a build diary?], I think this project truly encompasses the spirit of a home build, by someone who has the tools, knowledge and ability to do the job. This is exactly what I was trying to get over in my original post. Al has built [himself] a great looking bass, on a reasonably tight budget and for all the right reasons.

It looks great. Well done.

P

Suggestions for MkII - full-width vintage style inlays & checked binding, but to make it more individual & less Rickenbacker, a maple fingerboard & bound headstock. And how about using a Hipshot bridge - proper intonation & string height/spacing, plus no chance of tail-lift.

Natural finish would be lovely. :)

J.

"Disclaimer: I am building this bass for my own pleasure as a home hobby and do not intend to sell or profit from the guitar in any way - should the finished item bear any resemblance to a real Rickenbacker, then it is purely coincidental."
:)

Wow I'm in awe of anyone who can make a bass from tree bits like that.
Very nice project and result. Thanks for sharing!