Why become a member? ×

Al's home made Ric 4003 build

Al Heeley

Here we go then: Stage 1
I've really always wanted a Ric 4003, but I can't afford one or wait for x months for one to come up so I decided to have a go at building one.
Here's stage 1 - the full -size plan drawing from which the varioous templates will be cut.
Construction planned: traditional maple body wings, thru-neck maple (maybe walnut sandwich), 4003 electronics with push-pull bright cap on the bridge pup tone.
Finish: most likely black rattle can with Rustins plastic 2-pack resin. White binding (of course) :cool:

Now the shopping begins.
[color="Navy"][font="Arial Narrow"][size=1]Disclaimer: I am building this bass for my own pleasure as a home hobby and do not intend to sell or profit from the guitar in any way - should the finished item bear any resemblance to a real Rickenbacker, then it is purely coincidental.[/size][/font][/color]

Quite pleased with how the side dots came out - I was too lazy to order some black dot rod so I used up a little left-over white rod and pushed it inside small sections of a black scoobie I stole from my daughter. The result - tiny little liquorice allsorts that glue into the holes and make a cute little circle marker.

More work on the body. Mahogany base and maple cap cut to size, being glued together. the pencil line marks the final thickness of the cap - a lot to plane off over the weekend. This brings the body depth to the regulation ric 1 1/4 inches and also the maple cap thickness will then match the depth of my white binding.

Maple cap on the mahogany wings has been planed to thickness and edges sanded smooth.
The maple will be routed for the binding later once the wings and neck-thru have been joined.

Here's a quick mock-up to show the body and neck together.

Next it's time to start carving and shaping the neck.

Here the thru-neck block has been planed and sanded level, fretboard position and nut marked on, and truss rod channel routed. (Yes I know, rod is wrong way up here but the blue colour makes for a better pic :)). On either side of the truss rod channel I've routed a 6mm channel to take the carbon fibre reinforcing rods. Hopefully this will mean I can carve the neck down nice and thin and still retain good stability.

Finally got some time to get back to the bass build today. Here the lower wing has been sanded smooth, binding channel routed and binding glued and trimmed flush. MArked on the routing area for the ctrl cavity.

Work started on shaping the neck/headstock; a real pain without access to a bandsaw. Annoying miscalculation with the jigsaw in cutting the headstock to thickness means it's now a little thinner than i would like before final sanding, and there's a bit of an ugly gouge out the back. Maybe I can glue on a 2mm laminate to get back up to thinckness before drilling for the tuners.

Made some good progress on the neck carving this evening. Sadly doesn't really show up well in the photo.

It's immensely pleasing to see a slim neck carve slowly emerging from a thick slab of wood.
Getting this done is a massive milestone in the guitar build. Once it's done, it's time to attach the fretboard and glue the wings.
Then she'll really begin to take shape.
Ric Pups arrived today, courtesy Rosetti London. Now waiting for the bridge pup mount ring and cover to arrive, which had to be sourced US-side.

Watched a 4003 bridge mount and cover soar to a ridiculous price recently on ebay. HORROR!
Been searching for a jackplate narrow enough for the slim ric body. Yet another non-standard item with all the UK parts shops selling only the Les Paul and Epiphone generic types, which are too wide. Luckily I have a friend who is a master of metalwork and has promised to fashion me a nice little chrome piece to fit the body.