Why become a member? ×

What popular bass designs .......

Golchen

As long as it looks as if it was designed before 1961 and has four strings I'm probably happy - except for Rickenbackers they're out as well.

Definitely out is

1 Anything pointy

2 Anything boutiquey;

3 Anything spalty;

4 Anything that looks like it was once a major part of a tree;

5 Anything with five strings;

6 Anything with six or more strings;

7 Anything with a quilted top (the Michael Kelly was an accident guvnor, honest);

8 I've said enough.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Golchen' post='362104' date='Dec 23 2008, 04:09 PM']Any bass designs that really turn you off?

I love the Status classic shape, but I REALLY don't like either the Kingbass shape or the newer Streamline. I know that they are great basses, but if I won either they would be straight on eBay with barely a pluck in anger. I find both unpleasant to look at!
Another one for me is the GB rumour. It's supposed to have a womans curves, but I prefer my women with a little less ass! It makes me think of one of those chubby assed women in a renaissance painting rather than a curvaceous babe.
If I had a GB I'd go 100% for the Spitfire.
In no way am I knocking these superb instruments, many people have them and many love and admire them. This is just a totally personal opinion on aesthetics and not intended to offend.
Any designs that you lot don't like???[/quote]

Until I joined here some months ago. I'd never given it a thought, but now. Oh groan.

First off, I play a black 'n white Precision copy. It's not saleable/tradeable and beyond critiscism - the missus bought it for me. Anyway the basic answer is probaly 95% of all basses. So it's easier to say what I like; sound, playability & or quality immaterial.

The Status Stremline and Stealth. They look like works of art and were probably designed in the 21st century. If only they had heads and a mahogany body.

A few Ibanezes. That's it.

The dislikes: -

RANT 1. Gibsons. Dreadful bodies and colours. The headstocks OK ,but the rest is in serious need of an industrial design consultant.

RANT 2. Fenders and every clone or near clone, custom designed, hand-made whatever and anything with a Fender-like headstock. Include all those fancy names - GB, Shuker, Fodora, Sadowsky etc, etc., and on & on. So many I don't know all the names. BORING.

RANT 3. Music Men. Can't stand the tear drop in the middle.

RANT 4. Anything with an overlong thin pointy top-horn. Oh, and any bass or guitar which looks like it's made of petrified wood and been reclaimed from the sea-shore.

C'mon out there. It's 2008.

Edited by Balcro

Like so many things in life I'm pretty open to all shapes.... :huh:

Again, more important to me is how they feel, what kinda sound I can get out of it, & will it mind if I tinker with it, does it hum and whine when I'm plugged in .....

Back to basses - :)

I have my definate likes (onbviously) ,but only really Ritters and single cut Seis turn me off.

i really dont like the fender 4 a side headstock and favour the 2 a side design..thats on a 4 string
also i really find rickenbacker engineering and design on the old versions...including the fake horseshoe magnet pup design and the poorly designed bridge which looks like a blacksmith has some input on it
its all so unwieldy and unglamorous...
the classic fender bent piece of metal...BPOM... bridge was ok with through stringing
without ts it is truly useless
yamahas habit of routing their basses for pups which are similar to standart p and jazz but having little extras doesnt seem user friendly either
and finally
those un necessary bits of tin on retro fenders over the pups
:) :huh:

apologies to all the afficionados who know better..
cheers

Edited by mrcrow

For what it's worth, I dislike most (but not all) modern designs, they may perform and play better (sometimes) than classic designs but it's debatable whether they sound better and they are so uncool. (And yes it does matter what you look like! :) )

Give me a Rick, Jazz or Precision anyday.

[quote name='jango' post='363867' date='Dec 26 2008, 08:09 PM']For what it's worth, I dislike most (but not all) modern designs, they may perform and play better (sometimes) than classic designs but it's debatable whether they sound better and they are so uncool. (And yes it does matter what you look like! :huh: )

Give me a Rick, Jazz or Precision anyday.[/quote]

........................the six string Bongo is quite nice though :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='363894' date='Dec 26 2008, 08:51 PM']Actaully I take it back there is one design I dislike..... now dont get me wrong I like HM and I like MOST of the HM orientated designs but this one just gets on my tits...... Its too damn fussy!

The headstock looks like an afterbirth......[/quote]

how would you play that without damaging yourself?

mm... i'm not a fan of spiky basses. or singlecuts. they just look wrong to me.
and i have never seen a gibson bass that i would allow to stay in my house. urgh.