Why become a member? ×

Something doesn't seem right

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254273160903

Very low starting price, wonky decal, why take it all apart for photos like that?? Something doesn't seem right to me. £500 starting bid for a Sandberg I'd be tempted but very cautious. Hope I'm being too cautious and there's a bargain out there for a lefty who wants a quality fiver... Thoughts?

The parts photo looks like it may be an update from Sandberg on progress during its initial build (note German desktop paraphernalia, no decals fitted and no dots on the body so unlikely it was the seller taking it apart). If you take that into account the only dodgy looking thing about the bass itself is the decal - they're hand built basses so there is bound to be SOME variation from part to part and the odd... foible...

And it's an ebay auction with no BIN that's yet to have a bid on it. The price has to start somewhere!

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

The parts photo looks like it may be an update from Sandberg on progress during its initial build (note German desktop paraphernalia, no decals fitted and no dots on the body so unlikely it was the seller taking it apart). If you take that into account the only dodgy looking thing about the bass itself is the decal - they're hand built basses so there is bound to be SOME variation from part to part and the odd... foible...

And it's an ebay auction with no BIN that's yet to have a bid on it. The price has to start somewhere!

Did notice the German stuff on the desk but didn't know if it was "case candy" type stuff. Also didn't know Sandberg sent out build updates, thought they'd be too busy!!  eBay throws me these days with what's an auction and what's a buy now... See what you mean being handbuilt etc but surprised that they'd let a decal out the door like that.

Decent bass, hope someone gets a bargain. 

16 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

eBay throws me these days with what's an auction and what's a buy now...

If  it's Buy It Now , it has  tab next to it saying Buy It Now.  There's no bidding on BIN.  That has a bid on it,  and no BIN tab next to it, so its an auction

13 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Indeed, just like i said  :)

It's a bit confusing though, isn't it?

I have things on ma' watch list that say "Don't wait - Get it now for £**." But when I click upon it, the BiN has disappeared (presumably because there's bids on)!?

But in my example above - there's a bid, but the BiN is still there... 🤔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fleabag said:

S'right mate. Lefty is spot on in that its a cluster f*ck but Ebay has been that way since they become a big force. 

I reckon what it is, is that (on my example for instance), the BiN would disappear once the bidding meets the reserve (hence if there's no reserve, the BiN would disappear as soon as there's a bid).

Possibly.

On 27/06/2019 at 18:20, fleabag said:

There's another odd thing, i have never seen that " snipe " tab ever on any Ebay auction, whether buy it now or otherwise. Is that a new thing ?

I remember back in the glory days of almost $2 to the £ where I would get up at 03:00 to snipe a US auction that was about to end, only to be pipped at the post. It was then I discovered auction sniping sites. Signed up for one and got two free snips. That was way back in the early 2000s, though. Never used one since.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 05:56, NikNik said:

I remember back in the glory days of almost $2 to the £ where I would get up at 03:00 to snipe a US auction that was about to end, only to be pipped at the post. It was then I discovered auction sniping sites. Signed up for one and got two free snips. That was way back in the early 200s, though. Never used one since.

Yup, Bidtamer / Auctionstealer ... It's still going after all these years!

I've never needed more than the 'free 2 snipes per month'.

(I think it's 2 wins per month now, which is more generous).

Look how long I've been on ebay:

1277422638_ebayprofileCapture.PNG.b91b427b80bdb4e5c858b76824d38418.PNG

I can remember when there was only half a page of cars for sale on ebay.uk.

And all of this was fields etc. 😃

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

And all of this was fields etc. 😃

You sound like SkinnyGrandad! :D

"In my day...all fields...shillings, farthings & ha'pence...youth of today...no manners...back of my hand...chunner...dribble...where are my Werthers..." smiley

• Like 1
  • Haha 1