Why become a member? ×

Gary ‘Gazza’ Johnson – China Crisis

• 3 years later...

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='36702' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:21 AM']Been learning a bit of China Crisis recently and discovered another long lost bass hero, Gary ‘Gazza’ Johnson.

Some lovely stuff on ‘The Highest High, ‘African And White’ and some nice subtle fretless on ‘Christian’

Anyone know what he is doing now and if he recorded with anyone else?[/quote]

He runs a garage in waterloo, dont think he's recorded with anyone since china crisis.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1212745' date='Apr 27 2011, 03:44 PM']My old band supported them donkeys years ago - he was one of the first people I ever saw using a six string bass (Warwick Thumb as I recall).
Good player.[/quote]

your old band wasn't Perfect Vision by any chance?

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am the aforementioned Mr. Johnson. I don't know if anybody is following this thread but I'll straighten out a couple of things. I run a workwear shop in Seaforth, not a garage in Waterloo.
Gary Daly played the bass on the original recording of African & White. The fretless playing on Christian is by Andy Pask, of 'Landscape' (Einstein A Go-Go, also the co-writer of the theme from 'The Bill'). Although I played it for so long I feel like like it's mine, it still makes me feel very emotional as it brings back some very sad memories. I joined after the release of Difficult Shapes and the first thing I recorded with the band was Tragedy & Mystery. And it's a Warwick Thumb 5-string, my hands are too small for a 6-string, and I still use it to this day in a pub band at the weekends. The drummer calls it The Throb. Thanks for listening. GAZZA.

Edited by bluegazbloke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

[quote name='bluegazbloke' timestamp='1354485334' post='1886610']
Hello, I am the aforementioned Mr. Johnson. I don't know if anybody is following this thread but I'll straighten out a couple of things. I run a workwear shop in Seaforth, not a garage in Waterloo.
Gary Daly played the bass on the original recording of African & White. The fretless playing on Christian is by Andy Pask, of 'Landscape' (Einstein A Go-Go, also the co-writer of the theme from 'The Bill'). Although I played it for so long I feel like like it's mine, it still makes me feel very emotional as it brings back some very sad memories. I joined after the release of Difficult Shapes and the first thing I recorded with the band was Tragedy & Mystery. And it's a Warwick Thumb 5-string, my hands are too small for a 6-string, and I still use it to this day in a pub band at the weekends. The drummer calls it The Throb. Thanks for listening. GAZZA.
[/quote]
Thanks for sharing that matey, am sorry there's sadness back there for you, hope you're enjoying playing still!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1185458637' post='37355']
MB1. :)

African and White a great bassline.However my faves gotta be" Working with fire and steel"!
[/quote]

Gotta agree Mart, and as a Steelmaker the line 'and things get f#*^d and you're to blame' has haunted me many times.......

I used to like China Crisis back in the 1980's , and I've just been listening to them again for the first time since those days and I had forgotten what a great band they were and what superb songs they wrote . Looking on Youtube , I'm glad to see they are still going and sounding just as good as ever . I will go see them play live if I ever get the chance .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='bluegazbloke' timestamp='1354485334' post='1886610']
[/quote]

Hi Gazza, thats for stepping up and introducing yourself and putting a few things right. Great to have you here, hope you stay around and look forward to reading more posts from you. Great to hear you are still playing bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes. Fire & Steel. Bass sound inspired by Imagination's "Just An Illusion", believe it or not. Aria SB100 fretless with Dean Markley Ground Roundwound strings and a Boss Octaver. I loved the sound of that dual-oscillator fluid bass synth and that's the nearest I could get to recreating it. Bass line created during an intense brainstorming overdub with Mike Howlett and Gil Norton. I'm surprised nobody ever mentions "Hana Hana", the sliding harmonics went down a treat on the support for Simple Minds "Sparkle In The Rain" European tour. Thanks for listening to a fat arl fella, it's very much appreciated! God, I love being a bass player.

• Like 1

What a great thread! I was about to mention Hannah Hannah, but to be pipped to it by the bloke what wrote it is pretty cool too!

Flaunt the Imperfection is still one of my favourite albums. Some beautifully tasty (and tasteful) playing on there Gazza. Great stuff B) :)

Conan, to be honest, Walter Becker's attention to detail meant that nothing but the best was allowed under the radar. The best education a musician could ever get and a life-changing experience. The guy's innate musical knowledge is second to none and, as a person, totally inspirational. His enthusiasm for music knows no bounds and he's honest and just a f***in' great bloke. I've got a mate who's a dog's-bollocks trumpeter and he says that playing on Flaunt had the same effect on him. And he's played with The Who and Eric Clapton! Make no mistake, the greatest thing that ever happened to me, though, was the day Kevin Wilkinson walked through the rehearsal door. A bass player's only as good as his drummer, and we had the best.

• Like 1

[quote name='bluegazbloke' timestamp='1367444827' post='2065902']
Conan, to be honest, Walter Becker's attention to detail meant that nothing but the best was allowed under the radar. The best education a musician could ever get and a life-changing experience. The guy's innate musical knowledge is second to none and, as a person, totally inspirational. His enthusiasm for music knows no bounds and he's honest and just a f***in' great bloke. I've got a mate who's a dog's-bollocks trumpeter and he says that playing on Flaunt had the same effect on him. And he's played with The Who and Eric Clapton! Make no mistake, the greatest thing that ever happened to me, though, was the day Kevin Wilkinson walked through the rehearsal door. A bass player's only as good as his drummer, and we had the best.
[/quote]

Wow... I've been such a huge CC fan since the early 90's (I was 12). I was an 80's fan and bought the album because Gary and Eddy looked cool on the cover (did I mention I was 12?). First track on the compilation was African and White... and as soon as that bass kicked in after the little drum intro... I was hooked, went out and bought all the albums in the months following.. Amazing bass lines in all the songs.

So good to see one of my favorite bassists (Gazza) on this thread and get information about the albums and their recordings. Kevin Wilkinson... amazing drummer... RIP. And yes... Hanna Hanna... top tune and great bass line. Always wondered how the harmonic slide was done... still not sure. I would personally like to thank you for the wonderful music Gazza.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...