Why become a member? ×

Queen Question....

I'm a fan and have been for many years. I still have that bulky vinyl set The Complete Works which I bought on its release. A fabulous collection of albums it is too.

But I'm not an anorak obsessive about Queen unlike other artists I'm particularly fond of (Genesis, Frank Zappa, Peter Gabriel, Rush etc).

So, I was watching the Live at Wembley Stadium DVD set yesterday. Although it's essentially the same set, it's great to see two gigs of that scale filmed back to back on consecutive days.

Within the extras there are interviews with May and Taylor where they state that the final gig with Freddie was at Knebworth at the end of the 'Magic Tour' in 1986 and that it was 'almost perfect' (for them) sonically. There are clips also which appear to be from Knebworth.

This suggests that it was also filmed, but I can't find any reference to it having been released. Is anyone aware if the gig was filmed? It seems a shame if it was that it hasn't been released, being Freddie's last full gig.

I reckon if there was any footage they would've released it. May and Taylor would not have missed an opportunity to make more money.

On a side note, how come most of the best basslines of theirs are in the songs I don't particularly like?

John was a very under-rated bassist. he has a great melodic style.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bazzbass said:

I reckon if there was any footage they would've released it. May and Taylor would not have missed an opportunity to make more money.

2 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Agreed, those two are giant breadheads these days. 

I always find these sort of comments a little confusing. Like everyone thinks that they are only out to line their own pockets or something. Even a small glimpse in to the inner-workings of such a large brand and you'd understand that going out and performing Queen material as Queen, the cash goes in to everyone's pockets 'in the business'. Even John Deacon benefits, and he stepped out of the limelight years ago. The Boh Rhap film will have happened because of the work they've put in. The charities and foundations they support receive huge donations from the Queen estate - and not to mention supporting Freddie Mercury's legacy too. Oh and they might just enjoy still going out to play in front of audiences too! 

I think without them continuing, many people will not have been introduced to what an amazing performer Freddie Mercury was. Whether you love or hate their music, that can't be denied and deserves to be shared.

• Like 3

There is certainly footage of JD throwing his bass at his amps as he headed off stage.

Mind you (in case that gives the impression of rage) I also remember vividly their first headlining tour at the Southampton Gaumont when he took off his bass at the end and launched it off stage so it bounce neck first as it went.

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

There is certainly footage of JD throwing his bass at his amps as he headed off stage.

Mind you (in case that gives the impression of rage) I also remember vividly their first headlining tour at the Southampton Gaumont when he took off his bass at the end and launched it off stage so it bounce neck first as it went.

Well, it was a P. Any damage to the amps or the stage?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1