Why become a member? ×

Orange Terrorbass Gen 2

Quilly

Just looking at the latest  Terrorbass offering from Orange. Clean switch 250/500W output surge protection AX7/AT7 input stage. Look really really good. I had the first gen, while it was a great sounding amp I had reliability issues with it (which were sorted by an amp tech). Wondering if anyone has tried this yet? 

45 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I used one in a gig last weekend, but I’m not sure if it was an mk1 or 2.  Bloody loud though!  Turned up to 3 and I was comfortably competing with 2 guitars and drums doing G’n’R covers!

Probably the 1st gen either 500 or 1000w imo they were nearly too loud and aggressive sounding. They dialed back the power to 250/500w and added a clean channel . Should be more ‘multipurpose ‘

HIHO sounds like an original cause I never need to go past 4 or 10.30 oclock and it,s blistering loud but the sound of the world is spot on for me.I have played through the other Orange heads and cabs but my favourite is the Terror with an OBC115 or being super compact I use my SP212 ,forget the isobaric stuff it,s a seriously loud cab with depth that defies it,s size but hey they listen to market place and well done to bring it back.

I notice that they are using a 12at7 for the tone instead of the original 12ax7 /ecc83s.I might try this out as I have a few Mullard NOS military grade tubes.

2 hours ago, bassmachine2112 said:

HIHO sounds like an original cause I never need to go past 4 or 10.30 oclock and it,s blistering loud but the sound of the world is spot on for me.I have played through the other Orange heads and cabs but my favourite is the Terror with an OBC115 or being super compact I use my SP212 ,forget the isobaric stuff it,s a seriously loud cab with depth that defies it,s size but hey they listen to market place and well done to bring it back.

I notice that they are using a 12at7 for the tone instead of the original 12ax7 /ecc83s.I might try this out as I have a few Mullard NOS military grade tubes.

I used 12AT7 valves when I had the terror bass , makes it much less ‘gainey ‘ and clean sounding . They have about 60% of the gain of the 12AX7

4 hours ago, Quilly said:

Probably the 1st gen either 500 or 1000w imo they were nearly too loud and aggressive sounding. They dialed back the power to 250/500w and added a clean channel . Should be more ‘multipurpose ‘

The switch on the back that lets you get 500W from a 4 ohm cab hasn't changed from v1 to my knowledge. The clean switch on the front panel is new though, I wonder how it works exactly, if it's another pad, or it takes the tube out of the circuit, or something else.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

“I’ve completely redesigned the Terror Bass to make it much closer to the AD200 front end.”

Ok, now I might have to try one to compare with my trusty original!

Still can’t beat 4 x kt88 at back end 

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

I have the older 1000w Terror. Never before have I struggled so hard to keep my volume down in some reasonably large sized venues. Monster amp in a small container. Will it survive the arrival of my SVT? It'll be interesting to find out.

I have the 500W but find it quite easy to reign it in even to sensible bedroom levels.

6 hours ago, Quilly said:

Still can’t beat 4 x kt88 at back end 

True. I had the AD200 for a while and the it sounded very different. Even at low master volume, where those KT88s aren't being pushed, cranking the gain on the AD200 sounded a lot more open / less mushy than the Terror.