Why become a member? ×

Sunburst Finishes

Hobbayne

It's done with a spray gun and then 2 or 3 different colours, with the lightest colour overall and the darkest colour at the extreme edge, and IMO most mass produced sunbursts are appallingly done, with nasty hard edges and no sense of subtlety. A good airbrush artist could create a wonderfully blended sunburst with a smooth graduation from the lightest to the darkest colour, but they are highly skilled people and the time and wage they would demand would probably double the cost of a MIM Fender!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, chris_b said:

You start with the yellow all over, then a big line of red, then a thinner line of black. All my basses are sunburst. This colour scheme with RW and tort just makes me happy to pick up my basses.

red is last

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chris_b said:

You start with the yellow all over, then a big line of red, then a thinner line of black. All my basses are sunburst. This colour scheme with RW and tort just makes me happy to pick up my basses.

actually you start with grain filler to make the grain stand out through the amber,  then  the amber all over, then the black then finally the red

Vintage style 3 colour Fender bursts were done in the following manner:

1 - Yellow stain in bare wood 

2 - tobacco brown burst on the edges

3 - red transparent colour on top of tobacco brown (this also gave the impression that the tobacco brown colour was nearer to black, but retains a warmer hue than using black) 

The reason finder used this order, was to. Allow for possible "rub through" of the finish when flatting the lacquer prior to buffing. If you have the black on last, it's very easy to rub through the tracing-paper thin layers. Rubbing through a final dark layer before applying the clear topcoat, would result in a light patch in the colour, which would then require further touching up. Rubbing though a red layer would still leave the dark finish below, so wouldn't be noticeable on the final finish. 

Fender also used a "target burst" finish where the yellow stain onto the bare wood was replaced by using  a transparent white base coat, then transparent yellow on top, followed by the tobacco brown / red layers.

Here's a three tone "target burst" I did on the Andy Summers Tele I made a whole back :

AF26828E-4F96-4C6E-BD70-2C805424B46F-615-0000003B46D3F2FE.jpg

9F37090D-0190-458B-BF5C-7502087A9E11-759-000000E443D67F03.jpg

638AE1C4-6197-4EF7-9171-42FBBAB42873-759-000000E4594C9908.jpg

34AF16BD-C6AB-4A62-A07C-7BF609E8D15A-759-000000E427F44A68.jpg

630768BC-EDAD-4EE0-91A8-7649232B0A77-759-000000E3BFCD9A13.jpg

20140824_170548.jpg

IMG_20181027_152930_211.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 2

Sorry bud, my bass finishing pics only have Shell Pink, Olympic White, or 2 tone vintage burst! Hahaha. 

Incidentally here's the 2 tone Burst I'm currently working on:

Yellow stain on bare alder (which was bleached prior to applying the yellow stain - the same way Fender did with their original bursts), nitrocellulose clear sealer coat, then tobacco brown burst, then clear topcoat. I also crazed the lacquer for a slightly aged feel. 

56 p bass bare wood.jpg

56 p bass sealer coat.jpg

56 p bass burst body 1.jpg

56 p bass lacquer crack 2.jpg

20180119_212610.jpg

20180122_204638.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Sorry bud, my bass finishing pics only have Shell Pink, Olympic White, or 2 tone vintage burst! Hahaha. 

Incidentally here's the 2 tone Burst I'm currently working on:

Yellow stain on bare alder (which was bleached prior to applying the yellow stain - the same way Fender did with their original bursts), nitrocellulose clear sealer coat, then tobacco brown burst, then clear topcoat. I also crazed the lacquer for a slightly aged feel. 

56 p bass bare wood.jpg

56 p bass sealer coat.jpg

56 p bass burst body 1.jpg

56 p bass lacquer crack 2.jpg

20180119_212610.jpg

20180122_204638.jpg

better feeling a lot better now 😋  that was close

9 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

Sitting here with my sunburst P Bass and was wondering how WHY the sunburst finishes were done.

Fixed.

I'm kidding.  I owned a sunburst fretless J once and sent it back because of the dead spot on the neck.  Nowt to do with the burst nor the huge headstock.

• Haha 1