Why become a member? ×

Allen_Baker a.k.a 'Chelios'

Beedster

A newbie on the site from whom I stupidly bought a dud head. He isn't prepared to play ball on a refund and rejected my claim through Paypal on the basis that the item was delivered (albeit not working). He didn't even send a power cable with the head so I had to buy one to find out it didn't work.
W**nker to be avoided at all costs guys
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='344972' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:03 AM']Always sad to hear when deals go wrong. Hopefully Allen_Baker will see the error of his ways before the wrath of BC falls upon him JakeBass stylee.[/quote]

plus the 1

Looks like another BC member is about to be ostracized…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='344976' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:07 AM']plus the 1

Looks like another BC member is about to be ostracized…[/quote]

He's now backtracking and suggesting I make a claim through the courier for the 'damage'. Given that the packaging wasn't in the slightest bit damaged and I signed for it as such, I've no chance - I reckon he sent it knowing he could get the money and could fob me off with "it was the courier's fault". I've just noticed that the bay listing for the same item went wrong twice so I guess the previous buyer also had the same issue. You'd think with all the buying and selling I've done I'd have seen this coming wouldn't you :)

I've some interesting friends in his neck of the woods who'd be happy to 'ostracize' him for me. If only I had his address....

Chris

[quote name='bassket_case' post='345010' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:02 AM']Whats bad is that he is quite happily showing off his new kit at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33476"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33476[/url] in a [b]deal done with rasta[/b]. :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Comment now added to that thread :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='345017' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:22 AM']If he done a deal with Rasta rasta will probably have his address?

Failing that, i think a public phone number will teach him a lesson.

I am sorry Beedster, you must be regretting coming back! Ever gigging up here feel free to burrow anything you need![/quote]

Many thanks MythSte, no regrets coming back, trust me.
Rasta has a PM :)
Chris

It's an interesting issue that I have wondered about but don't often see discussed on BC or anywhere else. As in who's responsability is it to make sure that the goods arrive safely and working?

I've always taken it, unless stated otherwise by the seller (and some do) that it's the seller's responsability to ensure that the goods arrive safe and working. If I sell something and it either doesn't get there (very rare in my experience) of is damaged/not working then I sort it out. Insurance is therefore entirely for the seller's benefit.

So, is this the way it is? I'm surprised this guy had the cheek to return if he's gone 'incommunicado' after selling you a head that didn't work, whether or not it stopped working after it left him.

Peter

Good morning Jon.

I'd say that it probably lasts as long as it takes to establish that all is okay, and that shouldn't be unreasonably delayed by the seller either. If a fault then occurs it's seen to be the buyers responsibility unless it can be shown that it was an obvious fault waiting to happen.

As you say, helping out/sharing costs is what I would do if it went Pete Tong in a disputable manner. I've done this in the past paying for a new neck for a bass even though I would argue it arrived to the buyer intact (I delivered). If I bought an amp and it just didn't work I'd want a full refund or a commitment to fully fund the repair at least. If Chris's guy just went awol I'd say that was well out of order.

You may like to comment Mr Baker?

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='345041' date='Dec 4 2008, 07:21 AM']Good morning Jon.

I'd say that it probably lasts as long as it takes to establish that all is okay, and that shouldn't be unreasonably delayed by the seller either. If a fault then occurs it's seen to be the buyers responsibility unless it can be shown that it was an obvious fault waiting to happen.

As you say, helping out/sharing costs is what I would do if it went Pete Tong in a disputable manner. I've done this in the past paying for a new neck for a bass even though I would argue it arrived to the buyer intact (I delivered). If I bought an amp and it just didn't work I'd want a full refund or a commitment to fully fund the repair at least. If Chris's guy just went awol I'd say that was well out of order.

You may like to comment Mr Baker?

Peter[/quote]

Good points above chaps. However, this guy's repsonse to my PM and my Paypal claim was so swift and defensive that it struck me as pre-meditated. Add to this the missing cable (which meant it might take me a few days post-delivery to find out the head wasn't working) and the two failed ebay auctions of the same item, which was won twice but both times relisted, and I think I have a right to expect more than a little help with the cost of repair :)
I have twice refunded guys on this forum when stuff I sold turned out to have issues, and once it left me £900 out of pocket. Why did I do so when even quite reasonable members on here said I didn't legally have to? Because it's the right thing to do, that's why. It is the seller's responsibility to ensure safe delivery and to at least engage in a positive maner if this turns out not to be the case. All Allen had to do was reply "Crikey, really sorry to hear that, why don't you get it to a tech, find out what the problem is and we'll take it from there". But no, it was simply "I sent you a working amp".
I'm gonna put this one down to experience and not trust anyone on here who's new.
Chris

I sold an amp to someone on here once, they got it, and said it didn't work fine, so I said send it back and I will refund you.

I got it back, it worked perfectly fine, so I sent him the money back minus the postage cost, however if it was broke when I got it, I would have refunded that too of course.

I always prefer pick up just to avoid this now though, I want someone to be there at mine, to test it's working before they walk away with it, then if it stops working, it's clearly a new fault.

[quote name='MythSte' post='345017' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:22 AM']If he done a deal with Rasta rasta will probably have his address?[/quote]

PM Sent Beedster, you have my commitment to resolving this situation although i hope my name will not be synonymous with bad doings.
However could a moderator please PM with regards sharing personal data (obviously not on forums) i.e. Confidentiality policy/Data protection etc....sorry but i work quite heavily involved in such things (I'm a Youth Worker/Social worker for my sins....so therefore a purveyor of social justice............hey media b*$%rds give us some good press for a change :) !)

May i add that my transaction with Allen worked out fine so before he his condemned to the pit of eternal shame here can we offer the opportunity for him to resolve this now, not sure how long the issue has been but lets hope we hear from him before say Monday 8th Dec?

Thanks RastaLee

[quote name='Rasta' post='345135' date='Dec 4 2008, 09:45 AM']May i add that my transaction with Allen worked out fine so before he his condemned to the pit of eternal shame here can we offer the opportunity for him to resolve this now, not sure how long the issue has been but lets hope we hear from him before say Monday 8th Dec?[/quote]

He was watching this thread last night...

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='345111' date='Dec 4 2008, 09:28 AM']I always prefer pick up just to avoid this now though, I want someone to be there at mine, to test it's working before they walk away with it, then if it stops working, it's clearly a new fault.[/quote]

This is my point of view as well. I know it isn't always practical however.

Definately Allen's responsibility to at least get in touch and try and resolve the matter in my opinion and I also think that monday 8th to get in touch is way too long as he knows all about this now. Maybe he was defensive because he thinks that Chris was trying to rip him off? If this is the case then rest assured there will be a queue of people telling you that Chris is probably the most honest person on this forum and would not try and pull a fast one on you. Can you say the same?

Come on Allen do the right thing and get this sorted with Chris!!

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='345233' date='Dec 4 2008, 11:53 AM']This is my point of view as well. I know it isn't always practical however.

Definately Allen's responsibility to at least get in touch and try and resolve the matter in my opinion and I also think that monday 8th to get in touch is way too long as he knows all about this now. Maybe he was defensive because he thinks that Chris was trying to rip him off? If this is the case then rest assured there will be a queue of people telling you that Chris is probably the most honest person on this forum and would not try and pull a fast one on you. Can you say the same?

Come on Allen do the right thing and get this sorted with Chris!!

Steve[/quote]

+1; I've both bought from and sold to Chris and he is 100%.

[quote name='misrule' post='345122' date='Dec 4 2008, 09:35 AM']Is this your man?

[url="http://www.faceparty.com/allen1uk"]http://www.faceparty.com/allen1uk[/url]

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Did this have pictures and information on it last night? Because its been wiped clean now... Not another Jake, please!!

[quote name='MythSte' post='345253' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:20 PM']Did this have pictures and information on it last night? Because its been wiped clean now... Not another Jake, please!![/quote]
It had pictures and info on it only an hour or so ago!

Hmmmm :)