Why become a member? ×

Bass playing ain't so easy!

Golchen

I've had the odd bass knocking around for years amongst a rather large array of other instruments. Usually it got dug out for the odd root notes when recording. This year I felt inspired to really get into the bass more and make a decent attempt at it. All in all it's been fun and I enjoy bashing along to various songs/recordings, but I got a bit of a shock a couple of days ago - I recorded myself playing along to about 6 numbers, and when I played it back my timing is just ................... appalling! Not 100% of the time, but just in pockets all around the place. What makes it worse is the fact that when I'm playing along it doesn't even seem to be going that badly!?!?!? I feel a bit derailed right now!

I usually play along to songs, but I guess that maybe I should practice a bit more with just a metronome or a drum machine and get my ears and fingers in a more solid unison. As I said in the thread title - Bass playing ain't so easy!

Funnily enough the same thing happened to me recently after something like 17 years playing and I'm not normally a timing case (a few live recordings in the wooden toys link in my sig not too bad timing I hope) but just lately my timing sucks!! I listened back to a take and was mortified, dunno what's happened to me. That said When I redid the take I turned the bass down in the cans which really helped. I think was zoning on too much on the bass rather than the bass In relation to the track.

I always say bass is easy to play, but it's hard to play well!

Edited by gafbass02

[quote]I always say bass is easy to play, but it's hard to play well![/quote]

I've said that many a time to people wanting to learn an instrument.

Guitarists get away with playing any p!sh at any timing but the Drummer & the Bassist need to be on the money to start with.

Add in some soloing & tapping & so on for bass, then guitar becomes a much easier instrument to learn in the long run (smaller frets, lighter strings,etc).

My other half once said that the guitarist & the singer was the ones that you would notice any mistakes on, the next gig she was at I played some intentional (& unintentional) bad notes & a bit of bad timing in a song to prove a point. She now knows that as long as me & the beats are tight, the other two can do what they want.

I'm not saying this from a bassists point of view, as I started off as a keys man (well, boy) & then went to guitar.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='344838' date='Dec 3 2008, 10:01 PM']I think was zoning on too much on the bass rather than the bass In relation to the track.[/quote]

This happens to me sometimes, especially when playing the drums. If you're just listening to yourself it's very easy to lose timing.

Edited by cheddatom

When you're recording I experienced that it is best not to think about the timing too much...just play relaxed and try not to be too focussed because that often doesn't help. You'll feel the tension even more.
Like Quincy Jones said : you'll feel "the paralysis of the analysis"...
Not that you have to be sloppy but try to enjoy the music and don't pay attention to the "record" button.
Exercises also help : program a drumpattern with one bar with snare, hi hat and bassdrum, followed by one bar "empty" and keep on playing while filling the gaps and ending on the "one" after the empty gap.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='345131' date='Dec 4 2008, 09:43 AM']Exercises also help : program a drumpattern with one bar with snare, hi hat and bassdrum, followed by one bar "empty" and keep on playing while filling the gaps and ending on the "one" after the empty gap.[/quote]

Soooooo spot on there.... :)

I use this as part of my practice regime...

Warm up playing along with a couple of fave tracks to loosen up the fingers, and then play to pre-recorded drum tacks concentrating on the 'one' or 'two' for the odd backbeat track that we do..

Best to mix up some timing in there too, make you work at it and feel more relaxed. Several of my fave tracks are in 3/4 or 6/8 timing which can be a bia-tch to get right if you loose it mid track!