Why become a member? ×

удачи comrade

probonopublico

I came across this site a number of years ago and forgot it.  Forgive me if it has been examined before.  It was brought to mind after seeing a topic around ugly Gibsons.  This:is a site for Soviet Guitars and Basses

They are magnificent in their ugliness.  Here's a couple of examples of bases

The Tonika II

386629563_tonikabass.JPG.4fffe11b89591f2fd3407f1873494877.JPG

And the Bas1 which as its own built in fuzz box

bass1.JPG.14eafcf09c4cafdb9a6d90cd9af8bc6d.JPG

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has owned or played one of these and are they as bad as they look, but in a way they have their own charm.  Extra points for the first person that translates the title

Edited by probonopublico
  • Like 1

It's a fun bass. I don't know when it was designed but I'd happily guess that it was the late 60s. I've had a shedload of those 60s basses (Hofner, Klira, Hagstrom, Futurama, etc.) and this fits in perfectly with them.

Despite appearing to be a shortscale, it actually takes medium or even long-scale strings. The pickups are as thumpy as you'd expect, and all the electronics actually do what they're supposed to.

Hangs well on a strap ... courtesy of the amazing telescopic upper strap-pin. That 5cm steel pin slides through the bullet-shaped bit back inside the body.

Thank you Silvia I'll take a look at that

Newfound freedom you are correct.  I didn't know about the Bulgarian.  Thanks for that, you get the.points.  the star prize, if you want it, is a phaser pedal that i bought for Dancing in the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy.  The singer pulled out at the last minute so its unused.  PM me where to send it and you can be Phil Lynott.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, probonopublico said:

Thank you Silvia I'll take a look at that

Newfound freedom you are correct.  I didn't know about the Bulgarian.  Thanks for that, you get the.points.  the star prize, if you want it, is a phaser pedal that i bought for Dancing in the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy.  The singer pulled out at the last minute so its unused.  PM me where to send it and you can be Phil Lynott.

Wow cool! Thanks!

I didn't realize there was an actual prize. I was just happy to finally be able to join in with something I understood. Most of the stuff on here goes straight over my head. 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, probonopublico said:

I am intrigued.  I may try this on my wife and suddenly buying that choco burst Stingray from Chilliwailer does not seem that bad after all

Gus, seriously, come over any buy my Stingray, then put all this hideous (but oddly wonderful) Russian stuff behind you. She’ll love it ;) 

Wow.  Great pics.  Thanks for the high res.  The neckplate is in good condition, better than the one on cheesey guitars.  You can read the Cyrillic, well if you know what it means.  I play in a band with a fiddle player who does a bit of Russian, I'll see if he can translate.  I love the way the colour burst is repeated on the back of the head.  Thanks Happy Jack and Silvia.

• Like 1