Why become a member? ×

4ohm Cabs - RECOMMENDATIONS

Status09

Hi guys, 

I really want to get the new TC BQ500 but ideally I would need a 4ohm cab to get the best (and full / close to 500W) output from the head.

An 8ohm cab (like most of the TC cabs) would only mean an approx. 250W output from the head.

So, what 4ohm cabs would you guys recommend? 

I really like my Bergantino CN212, I paired that with my TCrh750 and it sounds great and it’s 4 ohms.  I think there’s one up  sale on the boards at the minute. I would highly recommend.👍🏻

Of course it also depends on your preference of tone, manufacturer, speaker sizes and budget 😃

Edited by bassfan

I picked up a Peavey TVX410 recently that's 4 ohms, and it sounds great, albeit it's very heavy. That said, 250 watts should be more than enough to cover most gigging situations, especially if you're using a line-out/PA.

Edited by Jono Bolton

Don't get hung up about your amp running at half volume vs full volume. I doubt you would notice a significant difference between an amp running half and full volume through the same 4 ohm cab.

IMO the best and most flexible rig utilising small cabs would be two 8 ohm 112's or 210's. You can use 1 or 2 depending on the gig. If I had to chose a single 4 ohm cab I'd be looking at a (less flexible) 212 or 410.

The only single driver small cab that's loud enough for me to gig with is my Barefaced SC.

2 hours ago, Status09 said:

I really want to get the new TC BQ500 but ideally I would need a 4ohm cab to get the best (and full / close to 500W) output from the head.

The difference in sensitivity with 4 ohms versus 8 ohms is only 2dB. The difference in maximum output between the two is 0dB. There are a lot of factors that determine how well a cab will work. Impedance isn't one of them.

21 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Don't get hung up about your amp running at half volume vs full volume. I doubt you would notice a significant difference between an amp running half and full volume through the same 4 ohm cab.

IMO the best and most flexible rig utilising small cabs would be two 8 ohm 112's or 210's. You can use 1 or 2 depending on the gig. If I had to chose a single 4 ohm cab I'd be looking at a (less flexible) 212 or 410.

The only single driver small cab that's loud enough for me to gig with is my Barefaced SC.

13 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The difference in sensitivity with 4 ohms versus 8 ohms is only 2dB. The difference in maximum output between the two is 0dB. There are a lot of factors that determine how well a cab will work. Impedance isn't one of them.

This.  The best solution for you is to get Two of the same 8ohm (or higher) cabs.  Use a single cab for smaller gigs and both cabs for larger gigs.

I did an outdoor gig in the summer (with PA support obviously), used my TC RH750 and Barefaced two10 (12ohm) with no issues at all.