Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

5 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

It now says "pending" (and it is not me). Did one from here get it? If yes, then congrats! You scored the Spector deal of the century. A NS-2 (EMG Xs, Haz 9V, gloss finish) sans crown inlays in mint condition (at least when I sold it 4 months ago, home use only) for £2k? 2k?!? That's less than what a Euro costs and not much more than a Korean made Dimension. Man, as I said, deal of the century! 

Unfortunately not me again. 

I've been tormented by not owning a Spector bass on and off for a very long time now. I definitely deserve one, but the pound to dollar exchange rate doesn't look like improving anytime soon. 

There are not many basses left that I still hanker for, but a full-tilt USA NS2 is very tempting. I love the sound that Eddie Jackson got with his on those classic Queensryche albums, and there are so many other examples I could point to. If I could remember them right now. 

• Like 5

Just now, Misdee said:

I've been tormented by not owning a Spector bass on and off for a very long time now. I definitely deserve one, but the pound to dollar exchange rate doesn't look like improving anytime soon. 

There are not many basses left that I still hanker for, but a full-tilt USA NS2 is very tempting. I love the sound that Eddie Jackson got with his on those classic Queensryche albums, and there are so many other examples I could point to. If I could remember them right now. 

Jason Newsted - Load and Reload. I thought that was his collection of Sadowsky's to be fair.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I love the sound that Eddie Jackson got with his on those classic Queensryche albums

Same here. Check out this headless guy and his great take on two of my fav QR songs. Sounds killer!

Kramer era NS-2 in gloss black. Man, that's the bass to have (and my black Forte was modelled on it, incl. the thinner neck specs, just without the inlays and with black hardware instead of gold).

• Like 2

That headless guy above is ME! That's my channel ;)
I'm headless because when I watch bass vids I'm only interested in the bass, the sound and the fingering....unless it's Marta Altesa doing her bass vids ;)

Glad you like them :)

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Misdee said:

If your budget is not enough for a NS-2, here are some gloss black alternatives:

Spector Euro 4 Classic in black for £2.6k

https://www.thomann.de/gb/spector_euro_4_classic_solid_black.htm 

Spector Ian Hill Signature bass 50th anniversary for £2k. Great price but the JP inlay is a bit of an eyesore. Sorry, JP fans 😉 

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/spector-euro-4-limited-edition-ian-hill-black-gloss/ 

I know Spector started with natural wood finishes back in 77 (walnut wings) and in the 90s started with all the fancy wood tops (buckeye burl etc.). However, for me the black and white gloss ones are still my absolute favs, esp. Eddie's black one and Mike Starr's white one.

BTW, in case some of you haven't done so, check out PJ Rubal's (Spector's former VP) website that features his basses from all pre-Korg eras (i.e., Brooklyn, Kramer, SSD and Woodstock): https://vintagespector.com/index.html 

I think he must have one, if not the largest collection of Spector basses, probably closely followed by our very own @cetera 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2023 at 17:10, Eldon Tyrell said:

It now says "pending" (and it is not me). Did one from here get it? If yes, then congrats! You scored the Spector deal of the century. A NS-2 (EMG Xs, Haz 9V, gloss finish) sans crown inlays in mint condition (at least when I sold it 4 months ago, home use only) for £2k? 2k?!? That's less than what a Euro costs and not much more than a Korean made Dimension. Man, as I said, deal of the century! 

Not me either!

1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

Funnily enough I read he only used the P pickups with the J’s turned off with that version. So it makes you kinda wonder why Spector didn’t just dump the J’s put his signature as it is and stick the crowns in. 

Yes, he mentions it in this video (2:42).

Let's hope that Spector brings back the previous model (with or without the J). The current signature model is a limited edition anyway, to celebrate 50 years of JP (well, the 50th anniversary was in 2019). That's why it has the big inlay. https://www.spectorbass.com/product/euro4-ian-hill/ 

4 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

That's how his previous PJ version looked like. I guess I have to try and find one now!

4 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

preview.jpg.a1594f4e130c799b620b99268fc3dcfd.jpg 

And that on the pic is I believe a rare 35" version. They did some 435 IH sigs, I know as I almost bought one (proper 35" with the IH logo on the back of the headstock) Still kicking myself for missing that, ugh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

And that on the pic is I believe a rare 35" version. They did some 435 IH sigs, I know as I almost bought one (proper 35" with the IH logo on the back of the headstock) Still kicking myself for missing that, ugh

Ps: now that I've looked at the listing I'm taking a mental note for future self to buy what I can if and when I can afford, the worst that can happen by doing so is that I might have to sell it later ..... 

image.thumb.png.dadfd9bca9e516d8aed3d476fdb3a41c.png

So with that in mind I really have to consider buying that gloss black Classic Euro5 that matches my white Classic  5. Please talk me out of that. Please 🙂

• Haha 1