Why become a member? ×

Relived my youth!!

Baxlin

Had a good time Friday evening, on our way on holiday, we stayed overnight with my cousin.  Nothing unusual, maybe, but I was in bands with him in the 60s and early 70s (the latter being our age now!).  Unfortunately we usually only meet nowadays at family funerals......

He still gigs occasionally, and has a collection of rather nice guitars, including a mint Gretsch White Falcon and various Taylors and Martins, and an acoustic bass guitar.

So while our wives were yapping away in one room, we were happily jamming through 50+ years of music memories.  Great stuff!

Anyone else done this?

Malcolm

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 4

Not to the same extent. I'm only in my 40's but I was in a band at school and one of my best mates was the guitarist. We've both long ago moved away from our old home town. But every few years he would jump on his motorbike and have a ride over to where I lived just to enjoy a ride out and a catch up. 

We'd inevitably end up in the music room (which was a shed at the bottom of my garden) and just jam. It was always like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. It just fit. 

I often regret that we ended up living quite a distance apart, even moreso now as I live overseas, and sadly he doesn't even really play any more. Which is a great shame because he was an absolute natural from the first time he ever picked up a guitar. 

Such is life. 😏

We reformed a band from 1990. Initially for a one off gig for charity after our drummer died (there was always a touch of Spinal Tap about us) but it was so much fun we've carried on. As Newfound said it was like putting on comfortable slippers. I don't think we realised at the time as we were primarily interested in getting high and meeting girls that we had a great and complimentary set of musicians. We gig two or three times a year , pull out all the stops, raise money for various charities and have a bloody good time.

• Like 1

My very best mate from school was in the choir with me and anything musical, anything at all, that a pair of teenaged schoolboys could do we did together. 

We sang the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean and Simon & Garfunkel and the Everly Brothers as we walked to school, all of it in perfect harmony. We learned to play honky tonk piano duets and swopped guitar chords we'd discovered. The first-ever recording of me playing rock music was a duet with the two us thrashing out Caroline by Status Quo on a pair of cheap Spanish guitars.

He went to university and studied music while I got an office job in London. 30 years later I took up bass so he came round for a jam on guitar. Even as a newbie on bass who hadn't touched a musical instrument in over two decades, I could tell that he wasn't great.

His 60th was earlier this year. He'd joined a band and been playing with them for two years, and the band was going to play at his party. Their first set was dreadful and he was comfortably the weakest member of the band. Their second set was indescribably bad; I've routinely taken part in jam sessions where none of the musicians on stage have even met before which sounded  better than this.

When they finished playing, our chief interest was in finding a way of leaving fast enough that we could dodge the  "how did we sound?" question.

In answer to the OP, no, I've never done anything like he describes.

:lol:

• Haha 1

The band I was in at school has an annual get together. The band was very good for the time and the places we used to play, think Blues Brothers minus the dark glasses and about 10 years earlier. It even worked pretty well when we did some 30 year anniversary gigs. Sadly, we've lost a few guys since then so, these days I'm happy to be sitting in a pub in the West End with no instruments involved. We reminisce a little but usually the chat is just about life during the last year.

3 hours ago, Painy said:

My band is still the same one I started with our lead guitarist 22 years ago in high school so I've just never stopped 🙂

Apart from an 18 month break I've been with the same keyboard player / singer since 1995 and guitarist since 2001

Most of the guys I played with at school gave it up which was a shame, there were some decent players back then

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've been scrumping apples recently...does that count?

And I've been drinking really cheap cider from 3ltr plastic bottles!

Back on topic, of the mates I played in my first bands with (early 70s) I think I'm the only one who is still actively involved with music. Reading other posts it seems like the drop-off rate is really high.

• Haha 1