Why become a member? ×

How does everyone find bands?

Guest aDx

5 minutes ago, discreet said:

Shame. If only the wheels had gone round and round!

Sorry. :biggrin:

I actually wrote a song called "The Late Bus" as soon as we chose the name - a gospel-style take-off of "This train" -

"The late bus ain't no train to glory / Them iPods ain't playing no gospel song / And when the wheels come off the late bus / Tell me how are you going to get home?" 

Turned out to be prophetic 😞 

• Like 3

You're riding on the late bus / Trying to find your way back home / Darkness falling round you / Can't see ahead to where you're going 

You may be riding with whores and gamblers / You may be riding with the lonely and insane / Some of you may be laughing, some are crying / You're all trying to get home just the same

• Like 3

14 hours ago, T-Bay said:

You do have to pay if you want to talk to people though. There is a band I may be interested in so tried to contact them but I have to subscribe for a month at a tenner. They may be great and it could be the best tenner ever spent, or I could hear nothing back. I know they have to make profit somehow but not sure it’s the best way.

If they're not bright enough to work out how to put contact details in their ad without you needing to subscribe and use the messaging service, are they going to be any good at the nuts and bolts of running a band, getting gigs etc? Personally I doubt it, but you literally pays your money and you takes your chance!

Number of ways for me over past 8 yrs.

Join My Band

Gumtree

Bandmix (you need to pay for membership tho)

Current band was thru a FB advert altho it was thru a friends page and been lucky with this one as its a project i've been trying to put together for about 6yrs with no success and then this came out the blue.

Thru mates or word of mouth. That can be either you asking around or ofers from people you know or who may already know of you as a bassist.

Other ways :-

Rehearsal studios usually have a post it board where bands are loking for members

Local music shops used to have a post it board too

Dave

10 hours ago, missis sumner said:

Join my Band has lead to some interesting experiences, for me.  I'm sure there's a thread for that...

Agreed. Time wasters and dreamers on the whole, people trying to sell graphic design services, and the occasional person genuinely looking for musicians.

• Thanks 1

Gumtree

Local Facebook Music Groups

Local connections

Good old Ad's in Music Shop notice boards

The latter is being killed off by social media, but it's still worth taking a bit of time to peruse the ad's in the local music shop(s). Even with social media, it still takes time and a fair deal of luck to find the "right" band / "right" people. Still worth doing though.

Good luck!

Edited by Skybone

My first band was through a friend of my wife's.  I'd been playing for about a year and their bass player was emigrating. My wife put me in contact and I went to audition - turns out I was better than their existing bassist so I got the gig so to speak.

I put my current band together, I knew some guys through work who played guitar and drums and so we started jamming until it became more serious and bandy - we didn't know any singers though so after we'd rehearsed a few times I put an add on Join My Band then run some auditions for the people of responded.  We've landed a pretty good singer but I'm not sure if she's going to stick around.

On 17/08/2018 at 19:03, aDx said:

So. I have looked everywhere to try and find bands to play with but have had no luck yet.  How do other peeps find bands?

Ad, You're just being greedy...😉😉

You're already in a band and you work at a University with a Music Dept and Recording Studio....

Don't expect any sympathy from me...:facepalm:

22 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

It depends where you live and if there is a ‘scene’, as such. We’re very lucky here in Banbury; there is a good amount of bands with plenty of venues to play, it’s not too cliquey and most people in bands know each other and are on friendly terms. If my band folded tomorrow I’m fairly confident I could pick up with someone else quite quickly. 

Again it's about location. Your in a good location.

If my band we're to fold, it would be impossible to find another gigging band that makes money.

Blue

20 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

If my band we're to fold, it would be impossible to find another gigging band that makes money.

Blue

I suppose it’s more critical for you Blue as it’s your income. I can afford to be bandless for a while.