Why become a member? ×

NBD - Lakland content

Sibob

Whilst I have my wonderful ‘71 Precision, I wanted a Lakland P to go with my 44-94 & 55-01.

So I put feelers out, and just so happened that Walshy of this shire has one coming to him on a part ex. Next day, deal done and it’s now with me.

2008 Skyline Bob Glaub (so pre the current 44-64 model, same thing though):

41E8BB31-3E37-4525-9BCE-98713BC6CCCE.thumb.jpeg.fae1fabeaaf0cde9bc3d46348367c0af.jpeg

DF858963-D6D1-4206-BBA7-1E5BC6FFBF9F.thumb.jpeg.074a9012a74b810deb05007054267b85.jpeg

D7525B8A-2082-4930-AAE0-15B78AB59FF7.thumb.jpeg.bb395ce41d048f2951a93dcb71a0eeea.jpeg

Cleaned up, and setup with some La Bella flats and we’re good to go for gigs this weekend :)

This is what I was looking around for a tort plate for. However the stock plate is quite cool, it looks more white in photos, but is actually a nice vintagey mint green!

Si

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lowregisterhead said:

That's a really lovely bass - as heretical as this opinion may be to some, I've always thought Lakland's P basses look even classier than the original design they're modeled on!

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on that. I’m quite a fan of the Lakland headstock too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Nice! What's the nut width on these Si? I owned the 5 string version for a while and it was lovely...

1.75" with a fairly shallow profile, so very early 60's Fender-esque. And that was part of the reason for wanting another Precision, my '71 has the B neck (1.625"), and I wanted something as 'full-fat' Precision as I could :)

They do also do the 44-64 'Custom' now, both as a P and a P/J, basically the Glaub but with a Jazz (with blocks) neck. Owned one of the P/J 'Customs' for a few days last year, but didn't gel, sent it back and used the money towards my US 44-94 P/J.
This BG though is really great!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Cool! I owned one of these briefly - the heavily modded one that did the rounds here a number of years back with the funky Villex pickup and tone controls. Wasn't for me at the time.

EDIT: GAS has struck... bloody hell, that's P GAS twice this week!!! First the Fender American Original 50's, now this!

Edited by Bigwan

3 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Cool! I owned one of these briefly - the heavily modded one that did the rounds here a number of years back with the funky Villex pickup and tone controls. Wasn't for me at the time.

EDIT: GAS has struck... bloody hell, that's P GAS twice this week!!! First the Fender American Original 50's, now this!

I was lucky to have this presented to me, there doesn't seem to be any Skyline BGs or 44-64s for sale (certainly the full fat Ps, plenty of the jack necked 'Custom'). The only other one I found was at The Gallery, black, white pg, rosewood fingerboard.

Si

On 03/08/2018 at 14:52, Sibob said:

I was lucky to have this presented to me, there doesn't seem to be any Skyline BGs or 44-64s for sale (certainly the full fat Ps, plenty of the jack necked 'Custom'). The only other one I found was at The Gallery, black, white pg, rosewood fingerboard.

Si

Thomann has the full fat variety in stock. Don't see anything but the custom variety online in the UK at the minute... 

6 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Thomann has the full fat variety in stock. Don't see anything but the custom variety online in the UK at the minute... 

Yes I did see the Thomann one actually...... but I didn’t want to (couldn’t) pay new prices haha

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Recently sold my Lakland USA Bob Glaub. Amazing bass. Apart from the fact that I didn't like the 1.75" wide neck, the shallow C profile and 10" inch radius neck made it easy to play. Overall Lakland really make great necks. I'm hoping to get a 1,5" inch USA 44-64 or 44-60. 

11 hours ago, vikunja said:

Recently sold my Lakland USA Bob Glaub. Amazing bass. Apart from the fact that I didn't like the 1.75" wide neck, the shallow C profile and 10" inch radius neck made it easy to play. Overall Lakland really make great necks. I'm hoping to get a 1,5" inch USA 44-64 or 44-60. 

Oh it’s all about the 1.75 neck for me, don’t mind Jazz necks at all (although the 1.6 on my 44-94 is about as thin as I’d want), but love that full-fat Precision feel.

Si