Why become a member? ×

Mini multi-fx question

Bass Culture

I'm no great user of effects live but do like to tinker at home.  I've tried various multi-fx only to sell them all on when I realise they do more than I'm interested in or could use and that it would take more time than I'm prepared to invest in using them properly - basically I get bored.  Likewise, when I even think about building a small board the minimal amount of use it would ultimately get puts me off going to the effort (yep, I'm lazy!).  But, are there any simpler multi-fx out there that simply combine an octaver (one up and down); chorus, reverb and distortion?  There's obviously candidates that get close but don't combine exactly those elements.  The nearest I've seen is something like the TC Nova system but, again, that seems to do quite a bit of other stuff too.  Anyone know of anything else?

Thanks,

BC

13 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Zoom B3n.

+1 

It has a very capable, versatile, decent interface and easy ability to scroll through patches. 

Also consider its smaller sibling the the Zoom MS-60B which is perhaps the single most value for money pedal on the market today!

If you decide to go for either pedal, make sure you download the free ToneLib software https://tonelib.net/ for editing patches, which makes creating and editing effects patches both easy and fun.

Thanks both.  I'll do a bit of reading on these two then.  In the past I've had similar but moved them on when I realised I had no particular interest in the vast array of amp simulations and other facilities some of these pedals have.  That said, it really shouldn't beyond me to set me the three or four 'pedals' I think I'm after and ignore everything else!

You're very welcome. I'd actually recommend picking up the MS-60B to start off with. You can typically get one for £50 to £55 s/h posted (and move it on for the same if you don't like / out grow). Even if you find yourself using for just a couple of effects, it will have more than paid for itself. And you get a tuner thrown in for free while you're at it! :) 

I use my MS-60B for tuner, tremolo, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, bit crush, EQ, and HPF

I have dirt, filter, synth, octave and compression on separate dedicated pedals

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Bass Culture said:

Excellent advice both - many thanks.  I feel an MS-60B purchase coming on!

There's one going really cheaply (£40 posted - unheard of!) in the FS section. Make sure to get some pics off him to check the condition, but if it's in very good condition as he says it is then you should bite his hand off! :) 

If you want distortion, I would steer towards the B3n. It has a very capable Darkglass B7K sim that is missing from the MS-60B, and the Ampeg SVT model is quite usable as a distortion too (which I couldn't say the same for the previous Zoom generation). The octaver is also much better than I remember from previous Zoom units too.

It gets my seal of approval as long time pedalhead  anyway, it's the first cheap multi FX that I've found satisfactory!

The B3n is undoubtedly the better of the two units and has a more modern chip set and greater processing power. 

But they seem to come up much less often s/h than MS-60Bs which is a great place to start if you want to dip your toe into multi-fx. It also takes up next to no space on a pedal board. TBF not everyone is a fan of the B7K dirt sound :)

I think they're both really good units at their respective price points and I have both / am not planning on moving on either. Just my tuppence worth.

Edited by Al Krow

I've also decided to pull the trigger on am MS-60B and purchased it yesterday from my local PMT.  Haven't had a chance to have a play about yet, but after doing some post-purchase reading I've read a lot about the MS-60B's being noisy on cheaper power supplies, and suffering from huge tone suck, even when bypassed... anyone else found this? I'm worried I've made the wrong choice, but won't get to use it with the band before my 14 day grace period is over...

3 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I've also decided to pull the trigger on am MS-60B and purchased it yesterday from my local PMT.  Haven't had a chance to have a play about yet, but after doing some post-purchase reading I've read a lot about the MS-60B's being noisy on cheaper power supplies, and suffering from huge tone suck, even when bypassed... anyone else found this? I'm worried I've made the wrong choice, but won't get to use it with the band before my 14 day grace period is over...

You'll be fine on both counts (although getting a decent PSU which doesn't have to cost the earth is always a good idea). There are a whole bunch of contented MS-60B BC users and these two threads should reassure you:

@Mudpup and @Jus Lukin are two very experienced users who should also be able to assist you, if you're getting stuck.

PS congrats on the purchase - download the ToneLib software and enjoy the pedal! It's a great pedal. :) 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You'll be fine on both counts (although getting a decent PSU which doesn't have to cost the earth is always a good idea). There are a whole bunch of contented MS-60B BC users and these two threads should reassure you:

@Mudpup and @Jus Lukin are two very experienced users who should also be able to assist you, if you're getting stuck.

PS congrats on the purchase - download the ToneLib software and enjoy the pedal! It's a great pedal. :) 

Thanks Al,  You're like a glorious fountain of zoom knowledge!

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

Agreed, the MS60B is a gem. Easy to use and packed with great sounds. I use a Diago Micropower and havent had any noise or tonesuck issues.

From what I've read, I'll probably use it as a selection of single effects rather than patches, to make the on/off operation a bit easier and change pedal choice between songs.  

So you've not experienced any Tone loss when the zoom is bypassed?  I've read conflicting reports of minimal top end loss, pretty heavy mid loss, and no loss at all so I'm a bit puzzled!

4 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Thanks Al,  You're like a glorious fountain of zoom knowledge!

From what I've read, I'll probably use it as a selection of single effects rather than patches, to make the on/off operation a bit easier and change pedal choice between songs.  

So you've not experienced any Tone loss when the zoom is bypassed?  I've read conflicting reports of minimal top end loss, pretty heavy mid loss, and no loss at all so I'm a bit puzzled!

Nope it sounds fine to me.....

Although I do leave it on all the time and have a bypass patch set up if I need it off. I use it to scroll thru patch settings with the bypass patch in between each effect so always come out into a clean sound.

Like this....

Bypass>Chorus>Bypass>Compressor>Bypass>Ampeg 

Yup - like Mudpup I've got mine set up to scroll through effects. Really easy to set up - just assign letters to the patches you want to have on tap; the manual sets out how to do this, it's a 30 second job.

I've actually made my "Bypass" into a "better-than-bypass" clean patch by including a bit of HPF to tighten up the lows (the AcBsPre effect can be used as an HPF) and a slight EQ boost to counter the treble roll-off from my Markbass cab.