Why become a member? ×

Budget Brand Pedals - Biyang,Artec,Belcat etc

nick

Hi,
I guess everybody's got an opinion on Behringer which is at least a thread in itself, but was wondering if anyone's tried out any of the other cheaper brands around such as Biyang, Artec, Belcat etc?
Thinking about getting a phaser & the Biyang one looks interesting [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PH8-Phaser-pedal-Biyang-True-Byp-WIMA-caps-Biyang_W0QQitemZ330274469327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item330274469327&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PH8-Phaser-pedal-Biy...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Would be grateful for any unbiased comments from anyone who's experienced such brands. I build pedals myself, but sometimes it's more cost effective to buy :)

Cheers
Nick

The Belcat Delay is surprisingly good, too. I also used to have the Biyang fuzz pedal - it's basically a Big Muff with some interesting clipping mods - you can change one pair of diodes for LEDs with a switch.

They're mostly made with surface mount components, but then so are the new EHX pedals... Only really matters if you want to mod them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dangerboy' post='336077' date='Nov 25 2008, 10:35 AM']The Belcat Delay is surprisingly good, too. I also used to have the Biyang fuzz pedal - it's basically a Big Muff with some interesting clipping mods - you can change one pair of diodes for LEDs with a switch.

They're mostly made with surface mount components, but then so are the new EHX pedals... Only really matters if you want to mod them.[/quote]

Are the surface mount components too small for modding to be feasible. I reckon that you're okay with resistors etc down to 0603 ?

[quote name='dangerboy' post='336077' date='Nov 25 2008, 10:35 AM']The Belcat Delay is surprisingly good, too. I also used to have the Biyang fuzz pedal - it's basically a Big Muff with some interesting clipping mods - you can change one pair of diodes for LEDs with a switch.[/quote]

Quite interested in getting one of the fuzz pedals, not seen em before. Like this?:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FZ7-FUZZ-Three-Mode-Pedal-HIFI-WIMA-parts-Biyang_W0QQitemZ330274467471QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item330274467471&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FZ7-FUZZ-Three-Mode-...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Do they handle the lows well?
I'm getting a bit annoyed with my noisy big muff!

[quote name='nick' post='335971' date='Nov 25 2008, 12:46 AM']Hi,
I guess everybody's got an opinion on Behringer which is at least a thread in itself, but was wondering if anyone's tried out any of the other cheaper brands around such as Biyang, Artec, Belcat etc?
Thinking about getting a phaser & the Biyang one looks interesting [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PH8-Phaser-pedal-Biyang-True-Byp-WIMA-caps-Biyang_W0QQitemZ330274469327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item330274469327&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PH8-Phaser-pedal-Biy...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Would be grateful for any unbiased comments from anyone who's experienced such brands. I build pedals myself, but sometimes it's more cost effective to buy :)

Cheers
Nick[/quote]

Would be interesting to see how it compares to the EHX Nano Stone phaser. You can pick them up from around £40, so not much difference in price only reputation.

I've 2 Harley Benton pedals (also known as GLX) which sound as good to me as the Boss equivalents for less than half the price. If you're interested check out their BLM-1 Bass Limiter and BEQ-1 Bass Equalizer pedals. I'm considering picking up their flanger next, looks like a knock-off of a Boss BF-2.

I'm gonna have to see what other pedals Biyang do, looks interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I know that at £60-£80 it aint exactly 'budget' but as bad a review the boss ODB-3 gets, I think it's a pretty versatile pedal. I've managed to get some killer sounds out of it from light clipping to full on square-waved goodness. Having said that i am getting a woolly pretty son, so it's not that amazing. But it definitely makes for some intresting sounds when you have it running into another pedal (especially a guitar wah - sounds awesome! Morley guitar wah - £20 - get one!)

[quote name='iamapirate' post='545924' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:51 AM']I know that at £60-£80 it aint exactly 'budget' but as bad a review the boss ODB-3 gets, I think it's a pretty versatile pedal. I've managed to get some killer sounds out of it from light clipping to full on square-waved goodness. Having said that i am getting a woolly pretty son, so it's not that amazing. But it definitely makes for some intresting sounds when you have it running into another pedal (especially a guitar wah - sounds awesome! Morley guitar wah - £20 - get one!)[/quote]

I miss my ODB-3. But im talking about the cheap brands you see on ebay ect.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='545924' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:51 AM']I know that at £60-£80 it aint exactly 'budget' but as bad a review the boss ODB-3 gets, I think it's a pretty versatile pedal. I've managed to get some killer sounds out of it from light clipping to full on square-waved goodness. Having said that i am getting a woolly pretty son, so it's not that amazing. But it definitely makes for some intresting sounds when you have it running into another pedal (especially a guitar wah - sounds awesome! Morley guitar wah - £20 - get one!)[/quote]

Morley Wah £20 ? where ?

• 2 weeks later...