Why become a member? ×

Flea sig jazz or roadworn 60’s jazz?

mojobass

I may have the opportunity to acquire one of these two but interested in people’s opinions on each. I love the sunburst rw jazz but equally like the look of the flea but worried a tad on the colour and ‘signature’ tag on the flea. Anyone who has maybe owned/played both offer up any light on them? 

I've not owned one but I recorded a band in my studio a couple weeks ago. The bass player had the flea jazz and it sounded absolutely brilliant. He was playing rock with a pick and it had growl for days. I had a play on it briefly and couldn't fault it.

Similar experience, played a gig on Satuday and our very own Bassix was using a Flea Jazz. It sounded very growly and not bright at all, rather Precision like if I`m honest, probably the most Precision sounding Jazz I`ve ever heard. Neck on full, bride on about a quarter I think Liam said. I had a go on it and it played very nicely too.

The Flea has a lovely sound to it, really nice and different to my other Jazz basses. I let mine go because I found the neck just that little bit too thin. It's narrow like a Jazz neck normally is but it's also quite shallow back to front.

• 4 weeks later...

I had both. I really miss the Roadworn S/B Jazz the most though - wish I hadn't traded it - but in a moment of madness, I was trying to reduce the number of basses I own...
I preferred the 60's S/B Roadworn, mainly because, for me, the neck felt "just right". The Flea Jazz neck is a tad thinner, but still very nice
Personally, I'm used to the VVT control arrangement, and I wasn't so keen on the stacked knob controls on the Flea
Some people much prefer them, but I found VVT a bit quicker to get the sound I wanted

In terms of sound, they both sound great, but my sunburst RW Jazz had the pickups replaced with some lovely 70's / 80's vintage DiMarzio's and they were great
The Flea sounded good though too. Oh, the Flea felt a bit lighter weight - in case that's important to you (though I never weighed them precisely)
Re the Flea bass colour - it's pink, but it's a very pale, faded pink, and not so in-your-face

Whichever of these you get, you'll have an amazing bass, I'm sure of that. To my mind, the differences are minor (apart from colour, of course)
Fender Roadworn series basses are amazing - they really feel "played in". Good luck with your purchase :)

• Thanks 1

Had both - IMHO, it was the Flea which won the day.

Mine wore Fender flats, a great combo on there. Ditto what has been said above - it really growls, Perhaps one of the jazziest Jazz basses I've played. Not a light growl like a Geddy, but a dark, low snarl on mine.

I would have kept it, but the fake relic thing doesn't really work for me. Took me a couple of purchases to work that out, though!

It was so nice, that I even recently considered another.....excellent basses, and for me, better than the standard Roadworn.