Why become a member? ×

Date for an Encore?

Golats

I got this Encore P-bass yesterday - was absolutely filthy and in very poor condition. I actually bought it because I felt sorry for it (I'm sad like that)

Anyway, I'm cleaning it up and wondered if anyone could give me an approximate date? It's very heavy, easily as much as my USA Precision. There's a QC sticker on the back and something that looks like it was once a "made in ######" sticker but I can't read anything on either. One unusual thing I've noticed, which may help with the dating, is that it looks like you have to remove the neck to access the truss rod. Also, I reckon the paint is nitrocellulose as it comes off if you wipe it with an ethanol-soaked cloth.

There are a few pictures, which may help, and that show you what a sad state it was in. The guy I got it off said it "might need a bit of a clean" Understatement of the year!!!!! My wife won't even let me bring it in the house so I've been taking it to bits in the garden :-)

E1.jpg

E3.jpg

E4.jpg

E5.jpg

E6.jpg

E7.jpg

E8.jpg

Edited by Golats
  • Like 1

That's an earlier one. There was a headstock shape change in later models. I had one of these in 94/95 so it's before that.

Looks like it'll clean up fairly well!

Edited by Bigwan
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

That's an earlier one. There was a headstock shape change in later models. I had one of these in 94/95 so it's before that.

Looks like it'll clean up fairly well!

Cheers Bigwan. It looks a bit 80s to me but don't have anything to really back that up statement :-)

Unfortunately the bridge is knackered. The saddles are rusted in place and I can't get them to budge with WD40. Whoever used this bass previously sweated sulphuric acid! I think I'm going to have to cut them off and get some new screes, springs and saddles.

I had one of these (ie ‘lawsuit’ headstock). It was my first bass and was purchased new in the early 90’s, exactly when I don’t remember. Unfortunately no idea when they were introduced or when the headstock changed shape.

Si

50 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I had one of these (ie ‘lawsuit’ headstock). It was my first bass and was purchased new in the early 90’s, exactly when I don’t remember. Unfortunately no idea when they were introduced or when the headstock changed shape.

Si

Thanks Sibob, so I know it's around 30 years old now. Excuse my ignorance but what's a "lawsuit" headstock? Did Fender start suing rivals who used the same shape head?

This is interesting, it's got me wondering about my Encore P.  There's some history here:

Including the comment on headstock shape that "Fender style ones were the earliest, made in India. They had another typical feature - square, boxy string trees instead of the disc shaped ones." That seems to nail yours as 1980s.

• Thanks 1

I had one of these, bought mine new in 1994 (for the tidy sum of £139), with the same white pickups, headstock shape and it was a hefty bit of wood. Came in a era-typical metallic 'aged' white... ah, they were innocent times...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, josie said:

This is interesting, it's got me wondering about my Encore P.  There's some history here:

Including the comment on headstock shape that "Fender style ones were the earliest, made in India. They had another typical feature - square, boxy string trees instead of the disc shaped ones." That seems to nail yours as 1980s.

Thanks Josie. I hope it is an 80s one. I would have thought I'd be able to find out about the history of Encore on Wikipedia but there's hardly anything. I thought EVERYTHING was on Wikipedia!

I've always assumed these to be a rebrand of the India - made FMIC Sunns, they are near-identical and share the same hardware. However that round sticker is what's generally used as a means of IDing a 70s/80s Korean-built Samick. Pics & some info here:

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/Baseball

I've had four Fender-headstock Sunn Mustangs over the years & none of them had one of these stickers - whether that points to a different manufacturer or different era, I really don't know.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Reading through the threads, as like all, attempting to find scraps of info about the Encore P bass. 

Just bought white, vintage ad ertised as but looks metallic to me, white pickup guards, and sounds as if Dazza14 bought something similar.

Be nice if someone could assist

2D16BCCF-6D01-4AE6-B11C-230DC574B4C8.png

18 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Reading through the threads, as like all, attempting to find scraps of info about the Encore P bass. 

Just bought white, vintage ad ertised as but looks metallic to me, white pickup guards, and sounds as if Dazza14 bought something similar.

Be nice if someone could assist

2D16BCCF-6D01-4AE6-B11C-230DC574B4C8.png

It doesn’t quite look it in your photo, but if you’re mentioning ‘metallic’, they did do a Pearl White.

My previously mentioned early 90’s Encore (long gone) was Pearl White, and I recently found an analogue photo of it in its original, stock state:

177B7737-0562-4B04-82FE-7556348EA3A7.thumb.jpeg.580e1854837d18ca5601ae38c828e7f5.jpeg

Si

Edited by Sibob

Cheers Sibob!

I think pearl is probably a better description of its white ‘illumination’.

It is a recent purchase. Needed a trusted solid reliable bass. The encore seemed trusted or had popularity and drawn to it.  

Just seemed to more out there, or being resold, then any other used bass. 

This bass feels balanced, neck great, set up fine, no fret buzz, nut has no sign of wear, all shiny bits in good nic. There is crackle in the pots but will give them a clean and see where we go from there. Cannot compare pickups until that is resolve but from the tones I have heard this is a friend for life.

But like others would like to know it’s beginnings.

On 15/10/2022 at 11:06, Sibob said:

It doesn’t quite look it in your photo, but if you’re mentioning ‘metallic’, they did do a Pearl White.

My previously mentioned early 90’s Encore (long gone) was Pearl White, and I recently found an analogue photo of it in its original, stock state:

177B7737-0562-4B04-82FE-7556348EA3A7.thumb.jpeg.580e1854837d18ca5601ae38c828e7f5.jpeg

Si

This is the type I had!!

Wow, not seen a photo of anything similar to it before.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...