Why become a member? ×

Can you convert a 34" bass to a 35" scale ?

weepaul

Sounds like a good idea when you say it fast :)

Unfortunately, as stated, the frets !!

A 35" scale bass has the 12th fret at exactly the midway point between that fret and the nut -  17.5"

A 34" scale bass has the 12th fret at exactly the midway point between that fret and the nut   -  17"

And then all the other frets... well you  got the idea already

Edited by fleabag

If it's a bolt-on bass you can buy a new neck with the correct fret spacings for 35" and would need to move the bridge (or not if the neck can be custom made for that effect). It may end up unbalancing the bass and cause neck dive. You're better off buying a new bass.

I'm assuming the OP wants to mod a 5 string bass to 35" and not a 4 string bass! That's a mod which is never going to be a good idea.

If you have a 5 string bass and you're struggling to play on the first fret you're not doing it right. Why not play that line starting at the 5th fret instead?

And. . . no matter what bass you've got, how small your hands are or which postilion you're playing in, if you are doing any stretching at all you're not doing it right. Have some lessons and make playing these things easier.

Edited by chris_b

38 minutes ago, Ghost_Bass said:

I'm a short guy and have no problems reaching the first fret on my 35" TRB. After getting used to it other basses feel like flimsy guitars... :D 

As I say - it depends on the bass.  This is the closest I could get originally on one of @W1_Pro 's basses - one of the most interesting projects (and a LOVELY semi-acoustic bass).  There's no trickery here - it's hanging on the strap and my arm is fully straight.  And yes, I'm a short a**e ... but at 5' 7" I'm not THAT much of a shirt a**e  xD   Oh...and this is a 34" scale!

5ViM5VMl.jpg

It had a happy ending though - making it one my favourite projects.  With a bit of Andyjr1515 magic (ie  total fluke) we got it here:

gAZA5rWl.jpg

Anyway - why we are having this discussion in the first place is because we're floundering a bit and killing time because the OP needs to give us a bit more information of what and why and what trying to achieve (hint, hint) - and, of course, PICTURES :D

8 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

As I say - it depends on the bass.  This is the closest I could get originally on one of @W1_Pro 's basses - one of the most interesting projects (and a LOVELY semi-acoustic bass).  There's no trickery here - it's hanging on the strap and my arm is fully straight.  And yes, I'm a short a**e ... but at 5' 7" I'm not THAT much of a shirt a**e  xD   Oh...and this is a 34" scale!

5ViM5VMl.jpg

It had a happy ending though - making it one my favourite projects.  With a bit of Andyjr1515 magic (ie  total fluke) we got it here:

gAZA5rWl.jpg

Anyway - why we are having this discussion in the first place is because we're floundering a bit and killing time because the OP needs to give us a bit more information of what and why and what trying to achieve (hint, hint) - and, of course, PICTURES :D

In all fairness i don't play lowrider style, i lift the neck for better access and can tune the bass without having to take it off, hehehe:
21617942_1947303388873372_43692874496416

As you can see in the pic i don't hang the bass directly in front of my belly, i have it a bit to my side making access easier but i was already doing it before owning a 35" bass.
14390934_1467678526580136_21920950428234

About 15 years separating these two pics... now i'm feeling old... great to see my bassface hasn't changed though! :D

3 minutes ago, Ghost_Bass said:

In all fairness i don't play lowrider style, i lift the neck for better access and can tune the bass without having to take it off, hehehe:
21617942_1947303388873372_43692874496416

As you can see in the pic i don't hang the bass directly in front of my belly, i have it a bit to my side making access easier but i was already doing it before owning a 35" bass.
14390934_1467678526580136_21920950428234

About 15 years separating these two pics... now i'm feeling old... great to see my bassface hasn't changed though! :D

Yes - the strap and sit positioning is all important.  That's actually how I fixed the semi-acoustic ... I changed the strap button position.  The neck swung up, the body swung sideways and, as if by magic, I could reach!

ja4F5sxl.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure why there's any problem with so called stretching going from a 34 scale to a 35 scale

The reach is only an extra 1/2" , as the extra 1" scale length is spread both ways.  So really, if you have to stretch  reach an extra 1/2" then a 34 scale is probably already to

long to start with. Thats assuming of course that the 35 hangs in same position. Some basses will sit further to the left, so then yes, there maybe some extra stretch