Why become a member? ×

NAD: Markbass Little Marcus 800

franzbassist

Just picked up a Little Marcus 800 from Sandy at GBBL, and I have to say the EQ is a revelation!

It's quite different to the original Little Mark EQ:

EQ1
ULTRALOW at 65Hz, instead of the LM's LOW at 40Hz
LOW at 180Hz, instead of LOW MID at 360Hz
MID at 500 Hz
HIGH MID at 1.4 KHz, instead of HIGH MID at 800Hz
HIGH at 3.8 KHz, instead of HIGH at 10kHz

EQ2
OLD SCHOOL: Variable LOW PASS from 20KHz to 200Hz, slightly deeper than  the 250Hz base on the VLE 
MILLERIZER: 5-12 KHz BAND PASS Filter (essentially a treble boost only), which is very different to the VPF "mid scoop"

You can footswitch between no EQ/EQ1/EQ2/both EQ, which gives at least four shades of tone straight off the bat: really nice to use the EQ1 on its own and then switch in the Millerizer on EQ2 for a little top end sheen.

I think the EQ is much more usable as it closes that big gap between High Mid and High on the LM, and it sounds really full and meaty.

I like it a lot.

Edited by walbassist
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, walbassist said:

Just picked up a Little Marcus 800 from Sandy at GBBL, and I have to say the EQ is a revelation!

I think the EQ is much more usable as it closes that big gap between High Mid and High on the LM, and it sounds really full and meaty.

I like it a lot.

Sounds great. I think they've just managed to fix the one hole in their head :) 

It seems to be going head to head with GM800 in terms of price point and the Magellan has set a very high bar; and if I had to choose between the two I'd almost certainly plump for the Magellan. Fortunately I don't :) 

Where Markbass could win significant custom is if they have any plans to offer this in compact combo form as an alternative to their LM3 based range? I'd certainly favour a Little Marcus Combo to an LM3 one (and I say that as a current owner and regular user of an excellent LM3 based Markbass combo).

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks. I was particularly interested in the 1x10, but 60W ain't gonna cut it for anything really (I can just turn my 500W combo down if I need less volume)... as you were, then, Mr Krow :) 

I found my Micromark (8" and 50 watts) a very  useful combo for practice in a small home room and at Open Mics and  Acoustic Jams. The Miller version is of the same genre I'd say?

I suspect the Miller would be great for what you're suggesting. But I only ever rehearse or perform with 5 or 6 piece bands, so 300W would be the minimum I'd be looking for. At home I can just turn my amps down or use my Zoom B3n as a very capable headphone amp so a 60W is not going to be useful for anything from my perspective (which you're quite right I should have qualified my earlier statement with!). 

I was kinda hoping there might be a Miller version of the CMD 121P. That would certainly be interesting! 

Congratulations! You really are building up a collection of Markbass gear! 

How does the EQ / tone of the Little Marcus compare to Alain Caron K1 combo you have? I presume that the speaker response and high end roll off is the same on both rigs, but the EQ points on the Little Marcus are more to your liking than on the (effectively) LM3 head that the AC K1 combo uses?

Apart from the significantly greater portability of your new rig is it otherwise pretty similar or is the new combination a step up? In particular would you say it has a brighter i.e. less muddy / warm** tone than the LM3 based rigs?

** delete as applicable depending on whether you're Markbass fan or not (you obviously are Mr WB!) :) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congratulations! You really are building up a collection of Markbass gear! 

How does the EQ / tone of the Little Marcus compare to Alain Caron K1 combo you have? I presume that the speaker response and high end roll off is the same on both rigs, but the EQ points on the Little Marcus are more to your liking than on the (effectively) LM3 head that the AC K1 combo uses?

Apart from the significantly greater portability of your new rig is it otherwise pretty similar or is the new combination a step up? In particular would you say it has a brighter i.e. less muddy / warm** tone than the LM3 based rigs?

** delete as applicable depending on whether you're Markbass fan or not (you obviously are Mr WB!) :) 

The Marcus is a very different beast to the Little Mark heads.

I was very much of the "leave it all at noon and tweak the filters to taste" persuasion with the K1 combo, but I find the Marcus has an inherently draker tone when everything is set flat, at least through the TRV123 and STD102 cabs I have access to.

But, the minute you start tweaking it sounds amazing, with just a slight variation from straight up EQ changing the tone more dramatically than you'd expect if you are used to the Little Mark heads.

The EQ points are very well chosen (as you yourself have noted, they plug that huge gap between 800-10k on the Little Mark heads), and I really like the "Millerizer" control, as it gives a lovely sheen to the top end without ever getting harsh.

As to building up a collection of Markbass gear, I've already sold the K1: as much as I loved it, I knew this amp would work better for me.  I've also listed the TRV123, but happy to hold onto that if it doesn't sell, especially since it can handle the 500 watts at 8ohms this amp puts out with ease! 

• Thanks 1